CTV BC News Going HDTV Soon! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-03-27, 06:08 PM   #1
hidefbob2
Rookie

Default CTV BC News Going HDTV Soon!

When I was in line today to pick up my new CTV 2010 pin here in Vancouver I asked Pamela Martin when CTV was going to start broadcasting the local news in HDTV. She said soon ... before the end of the year. She said they will be the first local station in Vancouver. In case you were wondering about CBC local news, it is Widescreen SDTV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-27, 06:43 PM   #2
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

I can handle looking at Pamela and Tamara Taggart (is she expecting again?) but the thought of Bill Good in HD?!!!
Old 2009-03-27, 07:06 PM   #3
jayoldschool
Veteran

A better start would be the national news in HD...
Old 2009-03-27, 08:34 PM   #4
hidefbob2
Rookie

CBC's National is in HDTV.
Old 2009-03-27, 09:07 PM   #5
jayoldschool
Veteran

But CTV national news isn't. Your thread is about CTV, correct?
Old 2009-03-28, 03:00 AM   #6
hidefbob2
Rookie

I was just pointing out that there is a national news service in Canada that is in HDTV ... don't sweat the small stuff!
Old 2009-03-30, 03:53 PM   #7
apegod

I'm guessing that they want to get up and running with lots of time to sort out any bugs prior to the Olympics.

I remember a couple of years ago that Global BC's studios were being re-wired and re-modeled specifically for when they made the switch to an HD broadcast, but so far they are still in SD.

Thanks to CTV for embracing and keeping up with changing technology! I'll be tuning in more frequently once you move the HD.
Old 2009-04-03, 10:44 PM   #8
cm023

I noticed on the CTV Toronto Facebook group that when their new set is done, in a few weeks that they will be also broadcasting in HD.
Old 2009-04-06, 03:57 PM   #9
shadowlordkt

What's the allure of news in HD though? I mean, I could see the value in something like American Idol or Lost in HD - whether it's a better audio or visual picture experience.

But for the news? Am I going to see the broadcaster's blemishes better? Get my weather in surround sound?

I'd rather CTV put more effort into getting their OTA signal to hit the south slopes of Vancouver.

As for CBC's broadcast only being widescreen SD... you sure about that? I've seen a lot of SD content simply made widescreen (i.e. TV stations that just play the equivalent of the widescreen DVD version of a movie); and CBC's news broadcast seems to be better quality than that.
Old 2009-04-06, 04:00 PM   #10

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

CBC's (National) studio is certainly HD. Many of the portable (field) cameras are WS, while some are still 4:3 SD. You can easily see the difference as they switch from the studio to Field WS. If you visit the CBC website and look at their schedule, you'll see the "HD" after the National.

http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/daily...cbc_television

I cannot comment on the local news, which it seems was the topic of discussion?
Old 2009-05-12, 08:13 PM   #11
nicohockey9

Wow. Toronto's new HD studios are stunning, very nice job done!!! Also there new weather technology is just great! Lets hope vancouver can put something together that nice... My hopes of CTV Montreal going HD are far off I think
Old 2009-05-22, 12:13 AM   #12
markjanzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicohockey9 View Post
Wow. Toronto's new HD studios are stunning, very nice job done!!! Also there new weather technology is just great! Lets hope vancouver can put something together that nice... My hopes of CTV Montreal going HD are far off I think
i doubt ctv montreal will be going hd...too bad cause im getting really sick of the cbc local newscast
Old 2009-05-22, 09:58 AM   #13
Korak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicohockey9 View Post
I just heard that CTV Charlottetown is going UHD......Ultra High Definition, when the studio is built in 2076...........
Old 2009-06-05, 08:34 PM   #14
blakew

^ by that point, they'll be broadcasting at a frequency where you can watch it just by closing your eyes and thinking about CTV. Maybe on the 6Mhz frequency that our brains and the Earth run at?
Old 2009-10-12, 03:04 AM   #15
CHrisCHu

Default CTV local news (Vancouver) going HD?

Lately I kind of switch back from CBC to CTV for local news (can't stand CBC's "fake HD") and notice CTV local news (newsroom scenes and some local news scenes) are in HD (although still in 4:3 aspect ratio with black side bars, and I know it wasn't HD yet before the summer, and surely wasn't on Canada Day). Since I haven't been following CTV with local news this summer I don't know when has CTV switched. Perhaps same time CTV National went HD last month?

Looking forward to CTV taking out the black side bars soon.