Samsung BD-P3600 Wireless Connection Problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2009-03-24, 11:48 AM   #1
jsimms243
Rookie

Default Samsung BD-P3600 Wireless Connection Problem

Hello, please help! I just bought a new BD-P3600 Samsung Blu-Ray player and cannot get the wireless dongle to connect to my network!

The dongle can SEE my network (although it only displays the first word of the network name, if that matters) but cannot connect to it. It also sees several other connections around my home from neighbors. One of those networks is titled "linksys" and is unsecured. My Blu-Ray player CAN connect to this network and function properly-so we know the dongle functions properly.

When showing the list of networks the Blu-Ray player shows my network as having zero bars (signal strength), as well as several others as having zero bars, but a couple networks DO have 1-2 bars, obviously farther away from the router in my own home, ironically.

My network is WPA2 encrypted so I select my network and then tell it that encryption type then key in the PW but it will not connect. I can only assume the connection issue isn't encryption or password related, but rather no signal strength related, yet I can connect to a neighbors unencrypted network that is farther away??

A little history: My last Blu-Ray player was not built for wireless, but did have an ethernet jack. I made my last Blu-Ray player wireless by buying the linksys wireless N gaming bridge-worked pefectly and connected to the wireless network everytime. The funny thing on that set-up was that if wireless bridge was setting in a particular spot it would not get enough signal strength to connect, but if I moved it a foot higher then it would connect (my router is wireless N also BTW).

With the above said, I thought that the dongle may just be in that dead zone and cannot get a good enough signal. I purchased a USB extenstion cable and move it to where the gaming bridge previously sat and worked fine-but no better signal. Then I try stretching the dongle half way out into the livingroom (10 foot extenstion cable) and still no better signal.

Also, I can hook up my linksys gaming bridge to this new 3600 Samsung via the ethernet port and it still connects to my network as it did when hooked up to the last blu-ray player--I just can't get the factory dongle to work.

So what's up guys? Why can't I connect to my network? I assume signal strength issues, but why would my neighbors signals be stronger? Makes no sense. I am using my laptop wireless right now in the same room as the Blu-Ray player with no signal issues.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-27, 12:06 PM   #2
jsimms243
Rookie

bump... anyone have any ideas?
Old 2009-03-30, 07:54 PM   #3
miwycko
Rookie

Default Samsung troubles

I called "chat" - the gentleman told me you have to change your router name to remove all spaces. What the heck? I did that and mine still didn't work - I have lots of bars, so my network strength is ok. Just thought you might want to try the network naming convention....
Old 2009-06-03, 04:41 PM   #4
SoulForce1
Rookie

Default BDP-3600 Wireless Connectivity Issue Solved

I too had numerous problems getting my Samsung BDP-3600 BlueRay Disc Player to log into my NetGear WNR-2000 wireless router. Creating static settings for IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway Server did not solve the problem. After numerous tech support calls to both the router manufacturer and Samsung, here's what I discovered that solved my problem:

1. Multiple firewalls running at the same time conflict with operation of the BDP-3600. If you use security software such as Norton or MacAfee, you are already thoroughly protected and do not need to use the firewall on your router. Turn it off.

2. According to Samsung, it is mandatory that router ports 443 and 80 be open in order for the BDP-3600 to be able to communicate with the router. Manually configure these two ports in your router setup so they remain open.

3. Set the BDP-3600 to log in automatically by removing ALL static addresses from the wireless setup screen. IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway Server, and DNS should all be "0.0.0.0". Changing DHCP to "off" will allow you to change the settings for IP, Subnet, Gateway, and DNS. Once you have restored all the values to zeros, make sure to set DHCP back to "On". DNS needs to be set to "Auto", but this happens automatically when you set DHCP to "on".

Once you have made these settings, assuming that you have chosen the correct wireless network and entered the proper security key, go to Network Connectivity Test to check for proper login to your router. It should pass all 4 tests. If you are still having problems, contact Samsung Tech support at (800) 726-7864.

Hope this helps those of you who are having problems!
Old 2009-10-04, 12:56 PM   #5
DCor

Location: Barrhaven (Ottawa), On. Canada. (3 blocks north of Strandherd Dr. & 2 east of Claridge Dr.)

I just hooked up my BDP 3600, and followed these directions.
Everything is working, so far! Have not really tried any pc connectivity/streaming yet.
Old 2009-10-05, 12:33 AM   #6
DJDiggler

Quote:
1. Multiple firewalls running at the same time conflict with operation of the BDP-3600. If you use security software such as Norton or MacAfee, you are already thoroughly protected and do not need to use the firewall on your router. Turn it off.
This isn't really a good idea, a hardware firewall between your computer and the internet is definitely recommended... along with a software one on the computer. If you forward the required ports properly it should work, (or samsung should fix this in a firmware update)!