Black and decker Power Monitor EM100B - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Automation and Security

Old 2009-02-16, 03:36 PM   #1
malam

Default Black and decker Power Monitor EM100B

Saw this unit (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...01&catid=21251) at Best Buy for $99.99 last week. Any opinions on this unit ? Are they worth investing this kind of money on ?
Thanks .
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-16, 04:42 PM   #2
jlet
Veteran

This looks very much like the "PowerCost" Monitor unit by "Blue Line Innovations" discussed in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ght=Power+Cost
Old 2009-02-17, 07:02 PM   #3
markf

Default Be Careful

I have the Power Cost Meter from Blue Line Innovations and I think this product is very similar to that. The one thing I would warn you about before buying it is that when Ontario goes to Smart Meters these things may be useless from what I understand. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I like the Power Cost Meter that I have, except the fact that the transmitter outside uses an expensive lithium 3V AA size battery (costs about $13 for 6 months). It's not worth it at that cost (for the battery), but it is really cool to see how your consumption changes. I think the Black and Decker uses regular AA's in the transmitter. If it weren't for Smart Meters I would consider upgrading if this is really the case.
Old 2009-02-17, 07:15 PM   #4
Marc

This is what Hydro One sent me regarding the Black and Decker unit and the new meters.

"If you already have a smart meter, we understand from Black & Decker, that if you have a Landis + Gyr smart meter (Landis + Gyr written on the meter faceplate), the PowerMonitor will not work. If you have a GE or Itron smart meter (GE or Itron written on the meter faceplate), it is our understanding that the Power Monitor should work. "

I have the Landis+Gyr
Old 2009-02-19, 10:32 PM   #5
markf

Thanks for the update. I'll have to check when I get my Smart Meter which one it is. If it is compatible, I'll think about buying the new power monitor - they are great for tracking energy use.
Old 2009-02-22, 10:51 PM   #6
jok111
Rookie

The Black and Decker unit is a rebrand of the BlueLine Innovations product.

As for the smart meter, if you are served by Toronto Hydro, Hydro Ottawa, Enersource (Mississauga), you most likely have or will be getting an Elster smart meter. The Black & Decker unit works on these smart meters. I have one installed and operating.

I'm surprised the unit does not work with Hydro One's smart meters from Trilliant, but Hydro One is the only Canadian utility with any sizeable installation of Trilliant smart meters.
Old 2009-02-23, 07:44 AM   #7
pdr1966
Rookie

Default Power Monitor in Toront/Etobicoke working, mostly

I have one of these installed in Etobicoke.
It works with the meter, however mine drops its communications link after about a day or so.
I have lithiums in the sender, and I can link and it all works, then a day or so later, the receiver reverts to 'sleep' mode which also means it has lost its link to the sender.
Still trying to resolve this as I like the concept - and actually considered developing the same thing, but never did 4 years ago - and hence noticed the blueline in the industry about 2yrs ago, and now the B&D Consumer version....

Pete
Old 2009-02-23, 09:41 PM   #8
project_x

I have a smart meter from Hydro One, and my B&D Power Meter works great, I've had it running for about 3 months. That being said, I'm not sure the brand of my smart meter. I will check and get back to you.
Old 2009-02-25, 02:05 PM   #9
Mike L
Rookie

Does this unit actually read and use the real time pricing from the Elster Smart Meter, or does it only measure usage?

I am a participant in a real time pricing program in Illinois and am very interested on obtaining information about the usage and pricing. This device appears to only ready the usage, and the users then has to enter the pricing information but it is not clear based on the information I have reviewed to date.
Old 2009-03-02, 09:54 AM   #10
classicsat
Veteran

It only measures usage.The sender just relays the spinning disc or blinking LED activity (which is why it does not work on the Landis+Gyr meters; they have neither) to the receiver unit , which you program with the appropriate data.
Old 2009-04-04, 07:16 PM   #11
malam

Default Need Help to programm Power Monitor

I got the Black and Decker Monitor EM100B installed this afternoon. I live in the Ajax/Pickering area and my rates does not seem to follow any of the example given in the manual for programming the usage cost. Mine has a number of variable plus a few fixed rates.

Electricity: - 5.6cents/kWh for first 1000 then 6.5 cents/kWh for remainder
Delivery Rate: Variable - 2.27cents/KWh + Fixed $11.25/month
Regulatory: Variable - .62cents/kWh +Fixed 25cents/month
Debt Retirement - 0.7c/kWh

Are these rates used or do I just get an average for the month ?
Thanks.
Old 2010-02-18, 05:46 PM   #12
fgerbes
Rookie

Smile Mr.Fred

Anyone with a "Smart Meter installation has no worries. No one will touch the meter, it is a "drive by" reading. The Power Monitor works excellently well, giving each appliance or other users the correct consumption. This way you are sure, to ditch the commodity and buy a newer power efficient one.