Professional Installation: Questions about what to expect and related matters - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV Hardware Installation Forum

Old 2009-02-04, 11:24 AM   #46
haystack

Just speak to the installer he will do it the way you want. HD service gets 2 LNB. It does not matter to him what line he puts the 2 LNB to. The HD upgrage should be no charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-04, 11:29 AM   #47
hugh
Member #1

raptureboi, you many want to check out the installation how-to threads to get a sense of what is required in your installation so you can discuss with your installer prior to any work being done. Be truthful and they will do their best to help you, however, its possible you may need to pay a little extra to get both boxes up an running.
Old 2009-02-04, 11:41 AM   #48
raptureboi

Is there a difference between which port the cable is plugged into for HD or SD? Or is it like StarChoice where the port doesn't matter?

I can't believe that they would charge my grandfather just because he wants to use all the equipment he has paid for.
Old 2009-02-04, 11:52 AM   #49
hugh
Member #1

raptureboi, my advice is read the install threads and you'll quickly understand the difference.
Old 2009-02-04, 09:13 PM   #50
golfwunder
Rookie

Hi, back again, the installer scheduled to come on Feb. 3 ended up calling me at home while waiting for him to come, and basically said that he couldn't do it unless our home was prewired. I got a second call also from the call center in India regarding the fact that Bell Installers do not prewire your homes.

So, do I need to get an electrician to come in and prewire my house?
That would include prewiring 2 locations and installing a SW44 switch at a central location I choose right? Or do electricians not do that?

Also when prewiring, one location will have the dual tuner 9242, so does he need to run two cables instead of one to the location?
Or can he hook up the two wires from the sattelite to the SW44 switch, then a single wire from the SW44 switch output to the location of the reciever, then a SW21 splitter which is hooked up to the single cable and splits it into two then which hooks up to the reciever?

It seems like a complicated process which I may not go ahead with.
Thanks for your help!
Old 2009-02-04, 11:29 PM   #51
haystack

Look online or in the phone book for a satellite installer in your city.
Old 2009-02-05, 08:02 AM   #52
Pinza
Veteran

Golfwunder, I still do not understand why Bell is telling you to have the house pre-wired, there are installers in Victoria.

It should be a straightforward standard installation, except the attic part.

If you choose to have an Electricain run the lines I would suggest running 2 RG6 lines to each room, just in case you ever decide to add a Dual Tuner at the other TV. Lines should run back to a central point.

The back feed from the 9242 can be fed out using one of the sat feed lines by means of a pair of Diplexers.

You will need 4 lines from the Dish location to the same point as the other lines, this will be where the installer will mount the SW44, and if you have Hydro there, the Power Supply and Power Inserter can go here too.
Old 2009-02-07, 12:04 PM   #53
notdeadyet

Default Dealing with a Bell installer????

we're looking at using the 6000 to 9242/1 upgrade choice from the recent letters, BUT they seem to insist on installing the unit, and we don't want that.
Everything is ready, so when an installer does show up, can we just take the unit and sw44 switch, sign off on his papers, and let him go, or will he insist on doing the whole install??? I realize they're not Bell employees, but contractors, but still, we NEED to do this ourselves.
Old 2009-02-07, 12:10 PM   #54
notdeadyet

nevermind, just talked to an actual installer, and they won't leave till the new machine is installed AND authorized, or they won't get paid, so......
Old 2009-02-07, 01:26 PM   #55
kandkt

When I bought one of my 9242's on a retention deal, they insisted on the install as well. What I did was have everything ready to go, including all the cables hooked up the the TV. All he had to do was connect the sat. inputs and cables to the TV and authorize the receiver. He was in and out in about 20-25 minutes total ... updating the software and authorizing the receiver took the longest.
Old 2009-02-07, 02:02 PM   #56
notdeadyet

yeah, sounds good, but did you have anything to hide We only have 3 lines in at this house, and "according" to the records, should now have 7, and what if he goes looking. It's been said before here that the installers don't care about Bell, but they DO get letters telling them to report anything "suspicious", and we can't affort that now, can we Thanks again for the info!
Old 2009-02-07, 02:36 PM   #57
stevec
Rookie

If you do end up bringing him in, let me know how it goes because i am in the same situation.
However i only have 6 receivers... i thought 6 was the max. Can anyone confirm?
Old 2009-02-07, 02:50 PM   #58
notdeadyet

6 is the max, but we'd be dealing with 2 9242's here, so that's 4 lines alone "using Bell" lnbs
Old 2009-02-07, 03:03 PM   #59
haystack

Yes 6 receivers, 9242 counts as 1 receiver, 5 more to go.
Old 2009-02-07, 03:54 PM   #60
notdeadyet

Just to be clear, I agree; 1 receiver, but 2 lines (unless you use DPP Plus Twins), so we're dealing with only 5 receivers, but 7 lines that "should" be found here, but won't.