HDHomeRun For OTA - Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2010-04-14, 08:59 AM   #1
Walter Dnes

Lightbulb HDHomeRun For OTA - Discussion

A few questions about the Silicon Dust HD Homerun. I'm seriously considering it, but I want to know...
  • Does it have an internal drive, or is recording accomplished by streaming to a capture program on your computer?
  • How sensitive is the tuner for fringe area reception?
  • I shouldn't have to ask this but I will... can you add channels manually, or are you stuck withe results of a scan?
Advertisement

Old 2010-04-14, 09:26 PM   #2
Walter Dnes

I stumbled across the official SiliconDust support forum, and posted the same question there. The official answers are...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
[*]Does it have an internal drive, or is recording accomplished by streaming to a capture program on your computer?
All recording is done on your PC. There is no internal storage in the HDHomerun.

Quote:
[*]How sensitive is the tuner for fringe area reception?
It depends

Quote:
[*]I shouldn't have to ask this but I will... can you add channels manually, or are you stuck withe results of a scan?
Yes and no. The provided software requires you to scan... but you can set an option to NOT wipe the previous data when scanning. In "set theory" teminology, the result is a union of the scans. For instance, I could scan for Toronto/Buffalo stations, repoint the antenna for Hamilton and scan again. The resulting PSIP table will be all of the stations found in either or both of the scans.
Old 2010-04-15, 10:15 AM   #3
Wayne
Veteran

The HDHR is essentially a tuning device for a PC, just like devices that plug into internal slots or into a USB port - so it is a PC peripheral. The difference is that it works over your LAN so it doesn't have to be located right at your PC. It is not a PVR on its own - it requires a PC plus PVR based software.

Regarding the third question - that depends on what software you use. Most people would use software like Windows Media Center, SageTV, BeyondTV or MythTV. I think with any of these software programs you can manually add channels as well.

That being said, IMHO a PC makes the best PVR on the market. It is somewhat more work to setup and maintain but it has MUCH more functionality than a standalone PVR.
Wayne is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-05-21, 10:50 PM   #4
tmp31416

Location: gatineau, pq /// db4 attic mount + hdp269 /// roof-top 91xg + hdp269
Default trying to use hdhomerun tuners for ota recording...

hello all --

like the title says, i've been trying to use hdhomerun devices for ota recording, but with little success.

i have two of these devices, each connected to a different antenna.

the only software that is/was able to set up ota channels for these lan-based tuners are silicondust's own software (problem: it does not record) and the 'windows media centre' that comes with windows 7 pro (problem: it records into a proprietary format).

i must add that once the silicondust setup programme has generated a channel list for xbmc, i can use that to watch (not record) ota signals.

any other software (argustv, npvr, easyhdtv) apparently cannot scan channels on either hdhomerun device or if it can add them to its configuration, i cannot subsequently *watch* the channels, as if it cannot understand what the hdhomerun is telling it.

?!?

comparatively, using hauppauge pvr-1250 or 950q tuners with, say, npvr, i can scan & configure whatever ota channels there are in the ottawa-gatineau region, as well as watch and record them.

i have the impression there is something obvious i am not doing right. i have tried this on three different computers (win7pro & xp pro) and have never gotten npvr (or argustv) to deal successfully with the silicondust tuners. has anyone experienced anything like this and is willing to share what they did to make it work?

cheers.
tmp31416 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-05-22, 09:30 AM   #5
classicsat
Veteran

tmp31416, try WMC.

Although the files are proprietaryrish, you can get software to convert to more standard formats. They are still non-encrypted for OTA.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-05-22, 05:32 PM   #6
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp31416 View Post
the only software that is/was able to set up ota channels for these lan-based tuners are silicondust's own software (problem: it does not record) and the 'windows media centre' that comes with windows 7 pro (problem: it records into a proprietary format).
I gather the HDHR is very well supported under MythTV.
Old 2013-05-22, 08:34 PM   #7
tmp31416

classicsat: i did try wmc (for win7pro) and looked into the files it produces.

the streams don't seem to be re-encoded, they seem to be in their, huh, "native" formats (ac-3, mpeg2, etc.). they just seem to be muxed inside some ms-centric container.

handbrake *can* convert it to, say, an mkv file (using h264 instead of mpeg2 as a video codec), though no subtitles. not sure if it's because ms is playing games with its container format, or if it's because ottawa-gatineau broadcasters don't put subs in their signals.

the biggest problem i have with wmc, is that it wants to follow timing guides when recording and will stop recording when it hits what it thinks is the end of a timeslot (i.e., show 'x' is scheduled to run from 20:00 to 21:00, wmc will thusly stop at 21:00 and will not go on for 5 more minutes just in case). afaict, you cannot simply tell wmc to 'record until i tell you to stop'.

this is why i would prefer avoid using it, if possible.

don't understand why anything i tried (npvr, easyhdtv, argustv, etc.) cannot make use of an hdhomerun when microsoft can.
Old 2013-05-22, 08:40 PM   #8
tmp31416

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I gather the HDHR is very well supported under MythTV.
roger1818: none of machines i currently use run linux (or bsd), save my unraid server. so mythtv is a bit of a no-go for me at this point in time.

actually, the few times i tried to get a mythtv setup running, i was quite unsuccessful.
and i know of no one else at the office (we have our share of geeks) that managed to get it running.
maybe they're better now, maybe it's easier to get up and running these days. but it was not when i (and others i know of) tried.
Old 2013-05-23, 01:05 AM   #9
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

While MythTV works best under Linux, it has been unofficially compiled under windows (MythTV Windows).

I have the frontend running on my 64bit Windows 7 box, and it works quite well, though it is a bit slow to start (it is much faster under its native Linux, probably because it is doing some type of Linux emulation in Windows). Once it is running, it seems to work well.

The bit issue with the backend, is it doesn't support most tuners in Windows. I gather the exception is the HDHR (though I haven't tried it myself).

Of course if all you need to run is the backend under Linux, you could get an old P4 (or similar) that someone is throwing out and install it on that. It should work fine for recording, though it probably won't be good enough for playback (but that can be done on your existing machines).
Old 2013-05-25, 02:14 AM   #10
tmp31416

Roger1818: well, it turns out i did have a vm configured for debian (linux). it's just been so long since i used it last, i almost forgot about it.

so anyway, after some mandatory updating of virtualbox and then of that linux instance, i installed mythtv on it. and, yes, hdhomerun support is there. it did pick up both of my units... but in the end i ended up getting the same result as (virtually) all other piece of software i have thrown at those devices.

except that mythtv did show some better diagnostic hints than other pieces of software. whilst scanning, it does see a strong signal here and there, and will lock on all those signals... but will fail to find any channel. when all is said and done, i will get "timed out, no channels", which is not the same as "timed out, no signal".

and it's not because it's scanning to quickly because silicondust's software will scan just as fast and pick up all available channels.

it's as if anything else than wmc or hdhr quicktv cannot read/interpret the data stream -- with the exception of xbmc, when it is using .strm files generated by the hdhr setup programme.

very puzzling.
Old 2013-11-13, 05:54 PM   #11
905shmick

Lightbulb HDHomeRun OTA Product Discussion

I wrote this shell script to allow me to quickly scan my HDHomeRun from my mac. It currently supports 2 HDHR units on the LAN. It can easily be modified to support more.

https://github.com/shmick/TV_Stuff/b...hannel_scan.sh

Click on the "Raw" button to easily save or cut'n'paste it.

You'll need to make sure you have the HDHomeRun software installed, available here http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/

The script only parses the major channel, it doesn't give any data about subchannels.

The script output looks like this.

Beginning scan on 103B47B5, tuner 0 at : 11/13/13_16:26:33
(49) (ss=95 snq=92 seq=100) 49.1 WNYO-HD
(47) (ss=100 snq=93 seq=100) 47.1 CFMT
(44) (ss=100 snq=91 seq=100) 57.1 CITYTV
(43) (ss=100 snq=83 seq=100) 17.1 WNED-HD
(41) (ss=100 snq=87 seq=100) 41.1 CIII-HD
(40) (ss=100 snq=94 seq=100) 40.1 CJMT
(39) (ss=94 snq=83 seq=100) 4.1 WIVB-HD
(38) (ss=99 snq=92 seq=100) 7.1 WKBW-HD
(36) (ss=96 snq=69 seq=100) 36.1 CITS-HD
(33) (ss=83 snq=76 seq=100) 2.1 WGRZ-HD
(32) (ss=100 snq=89 seq=100) 23.1 WNLO-HD
(25) (ss=100 snq=94 seq=100) 25.1 CBLFTDT
(20) (ss=100 snq=80 seq=100) 5.1 CBLT-DT
(19) (ss=100 snq=81 seq=100) 19.1 TVO
(14) (ss=90 snq=88 seq=100) 29.1 WUTV-HD
(11) (ss=77 snq=43 seq=100) 11.1 CHCH-DT
(9) (ss=100 snq=89 seq=100) 9.1 CFTO
Old 2013-11-13, 08:19 PM   #12
majortom
Veteran

thx for that.. Works fine here on linux. I just modified where I have the hdhomerun_config program installed, and chmod +x to set it executable.
I didn't realize mac used bash...never used one before... at least not in the last two decades. Think they called em Apples back then??
Old 2013-11-13, 09:22 PM   #13
905shmick

Glad it works in linux. One of the nice things about OSX is that it's unix based, which is where I spend a good chunk of my time, at the command line in the Terminal application.
Old 2013-11-14, 01:59 AM   #14
905shmick

I've updated the script to use a better technique for testing the tuner lock status.

Same link as in the first post.
Old 2013-11-14, 02:40 AM   #15
majortom
Veteran

In case u haven't already, u can remove the 700 MHz band from libhdhomerun easily. just edit line 97 to make the last channel 51 instead of 69, and recompile.

libhdhomerun/hdhomerun_channels.c

Code:
/* US antenna channels. */
 static const struct hdhomerun_channelmap_range_t hdhomerun_channelmap_range_us_bcast[] = {
 	{  2,   4,  57000000, 6000000},
 	{  5,   6,  79000000, 6000000},
 	{  7,  13, 177000000, 6000000},
-	{ 14,  69, 473000000, 6000000},
+	{ 14,  51, 473000000, 6000000},
 	{  0,   0,         0,       0}
 };

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.