OTA Forum - 10 Years And Counting! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2015-01-27, 03:50 AM   #1
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Smile OTA Forum - 10 Years And Counting!

2015 is our tenth year of providing the very best Over The Air TV forum on the Internet!

Look at the overwhelming coverage of Canada we've achieved, the volume of generous help offered on a daily basis in both official languages of Canada, the folks from the U.S. who also provide and/or benefit from expertise here, and the sheer brilliance and industry of our DIY antenna R&D gang, who come from around the world... it is truly wonderful.

Thank you to all who have joined over the past decade, to those who have started from scratch and shared back many times over, to those who have come here with expertise at many levels - often from within the industry, to those who have enjoyed the learning and fun, and also to those who have gone on to the big reception range in the sky.

Please join me in applauding. This thread is open.
stampeder is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2015-01-27, 08:22 AM   #2
coolcanuc
Rookie

Thank you to all of the members and moderators who have made this forum such a wonderful source of information. Not to mention all of the great assistance that is given to all who ask.

Thank you again.
coolcanuc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-27, 11:09 AM   #3
toy187

Yes, thanks to all the knowledgeable people in this section that have helped me learn so much about OTA and have helped me getting rid of cable!

Long live OTA!!!
toy187 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-27, 01:59 PM   #4
Wetware

The OTA forum was created in 2006 not 2005.
Wetware is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-27, 02:00 PM   #5
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Counting fingers... 2006, 2007... hey, when we get to 2015 that's ten! So, enjoy the tenth year of OTA Forum operation.
Old 2015-01-27, 02:04 PM   #6
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

BTW I would be very remiss if I did not thank the other moderators, with 57 in particular. Jase88 and Downbeat stepped up when I got sick and they've really helped lighten the load and offer assistance over the past few years.
Old 2015-01-27, 02:04 PM   #7
Wetware

Quote:
OTA Forum - 10 Years Old And Counting!
Count again. If you were born on January 26th, 2006 then you would be 9 years old today.
Old 2015-01-27, 02:11 PM   #8
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetware
Count again. If you were born on January 26th, 2006 then you would be 9 years old today.
Oh brother... I would also be in my 10th year of existence. As I clearly stated in the FP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
2015 is our tenth year of providing the very best Over The Air TV forum on the Internet!
So, I've changed the thread title to "10 Years And Counting". We celebrate. Here's Post #8 from the OTA FAQ, in which I give credit to those who were here before the OTA Forum.
Old 2015-01-28, 06:26 PM   #9
ChannelSeeker

10 years is awesome! Let's hope the forum makes it to 20 years and beyond... without the CRTC letting Big Telecom send OTA to the guillotine, as they so desperately wish! (fingers crossed!)

Great wealth of info here, thanks everyone for your help and contributions. No cheap antennas that get poor signal or newbie mistakes for me when I was setting up my antennas, thanks to many of you guys. It's amazing how easy it is to get an OTA setup up and running once you know the "tricks of the trade" and avoid falling into some of the traps. This site is key for that!

ChannelSeeker is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 06:38 PM   #10
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder
So, I've changed the thread title to "10 Years And Counting"
Wouldn't the correct title be "9 Years And Counting"? Typically you would only say "10 years and counting" once you've crossed the 10 year mark.

I don't know when the OTA forum was created, but if it was made on January 1, 2006, then it's existed for 9 years and 27 days (and counting).
audacity is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 07:10 PM   #11
ChannelSeeker

Quote:
I don't know when the OTA forum was created, but if it was made on January 1, 2006, then it's existed for 9 years and 27 days (and counting).
Not really. Perhaps the site uses the same temporal measurement standard as car manufacturers: 2015 models actually came out and were available in 2014, so technically a 2015 model is already a year old on Jan 1st 2015 (if bought before that date, as then it dates back to calendar year 2014).

It's all about marketing...

ChannelSeeker is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 08:48 PM   #12
majortom
Veteran

I haven't been around that long at all, but a quick search of the OTA Forum and this was the first post I could find.
Dated Jan 03, 2005
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19256

Does that ring any bells with oldtimers?

sidenote... My dad (new york lawyer) used to say that the law considered you a year older the day before your birthday.
I don't know the precedent or in what context. But we always used to make fun of that when we were kids.
Old 2015-01-28, 11:07 PM   #13
Wetware

This is probably the first OTA post in the Digital forum from March 2002.

CITY-TV HD Launches on October 15th posted on Sept 6, 2002 was probably the first thread in the HDTV forum discussing the Canada's first OTA HD station.

There were lots of OTA posts before 2006 but they were in the HDTV forum. The actual OTA forum was created in 2006 when OTA generated enough interest to start a standalone forum.
Old 2015-01-29, 12:26 AM   #14
bigcam406

does it really matter?
bigcam406 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-29, 12:36 AM   #15
s40

I too would like to thank all the knowledgeable people who have worked so hard to make this an informative and all round enjoyable forum. To the arguments above consider when you are born you are in your first year of life, so when you have finished 9 years you are starting your tenth year (I don't really care either, I thought I would throw that in).
s40 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.