ATSC Channel-sharing test in Los Angeles - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-03-28, 10:40 PM   #1
Wayne
Veteran

Default ATSC Channel-sharing test in Los Angeles

I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing but two Los Angeles based channels have been doing testing of sharing on 6 MHz RF channel. They were able to share two HD and two SD channels on the one frequency.

The reason that they are doing this is that the FCC is doing a reverse auction to buy back spectrum from TV stations that could be used for other wireless services.

Quote:
· Physical and virtual level channel-sharing is feasible.
· It is technically possible to combine two high-definition television streams onto a single channel.
· Two HD streams may be combined with additional standard-definition program streams. Up to two additional SD streams are possible without major impact to the quality of experience of the overall material. Additional SD streams may be possible with additional testing and analysis.
· It may be feasible for three HD streams to be combined onto a single channel. Testing found that this combination may be technically feasible and of value for broadcasters, but each entity needs to examine the digital complexity of its material and decide if this combination is acceptable for its viewers.
· One HD stream may be combined with a variety of SD programs. The parties tested one HD and up to seven SD streams in a single Advanced Television System Committee channel with good results. - See more at: http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008....z3VpMBU7.dpuf
http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/008...-report/269641
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-03-28, 11:21 PM   #2
905shmick

Old 2014-03-29, 01:38 PM   #3
hamsterdan
Rookie

That's what cable companies do, and it looks like crap.
Old 2014-03-29, 01:45 PM   #4
majortom
Veteran

apples and oranges, cable companies are using 256QAM modulation, which can carry more data payload than 8VSB (twice as much). HD content looks fine for me here on Cable. It's only the SD content they provide that typically looks like crap.
Old 2014-03-29, 01:51 PM   #5
ExDilbert
Veteran

Cable companies use advanced compression and encoding techniques, like MPEG4 and QAM256. These are not available for OTA broadcasters, who must use MPEG2 and adhere to ATSC standards. It will looks much worse than cable. If the FCC was serious about saving OTA bandwidth, they would have created a new ATSC standard that includes the use of H.264 and specified a date by which all new TV equipment must support it. Cost to consumers would be minimal and it would reduce the impact of the impending claw back of more UHF TV channels.
Old 2014-03-29, 01:57 PM   #6
majortom
Veteran

Not here, everything is MPEG2.
Old 2014-03-29, 02:47 PM   #7
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne
I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing
The Los Angeles OTA market is full of low requirement stations that have existed on SD channels at miniscule bitrates (shopping, community calendars, etc.) so let's bear that in mind in this case: U.S./Canadian cities with most OTA (Posts #19 through 25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
If the FCC was serious about saving OTA bandwidth, they would have created a new ATSC standard that includes the use of H.264 and specified a date by which all new TV equipment must support it.
The ATSC committee already ratified MPEG4/H.264 a few years ago. See here: ATSC MPEG2 vs. MPEG4 Compression?

You can also see how MPEG4 is part of the Mobile ATSC standard in the following thread: Mobile OTA DTV Broadcasting & Devices (ATSC-M/H)

Last edited by stampeder; 2014-03-29 at 03:12 PM. Reason: I dug up some old info from our site
Old 2014-03-29, 03:45 PM   #8
mille

Default Cbc/src

It could be an avenue for CBC/SRC : sharing two hd , one french, one english, in he same frequency as they will announce new budget cuts ( around 60 millions) april 10....
Old 2014-03-29, 03:58 PM   #9
Wayne
Veteran

The reason that I said this could be good is that it could make it cheaper for broadcasters to have more OTA channels.

How come there is so little usage of sub channels here in Canada. The Buffalo stations that I get have, or have had at times, sub-channels with a weather channel, retro shows, sports, kids channels, etc. Yet we don't seem to have any of that from Canadian broadcasters.
Old 2014-03-29, 06:02 PM   #10
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Yep I'm not sure either if it is a good or a bad thing for Los Angeles, given the situation already in place there. For almost everywhere in Canada we are accustomed to usually full HD broadcasting from Canadian stations so this sort of multi-station channel sharing would not be good here for consumers desiring the best quality.

The lack of sub-channels in Canada was due originally to the CRTC's requirement for stations to present the best possible quality. For that I'm glad, personally. I don't know if that policy is still in place, but it seems to be.