Mohuchannels OTA/OTT Streaming Device - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2014-02-25, 10:15 AM   #1
interdit_450

Lightbulb Mohuchannels OTA/OTT Streaming Device

Not sure if this is considered a "tuner box" but it seems Mohu is getting into set-top OTT hardware now. Looks interesting but as the original poster (tweeter?) pointed out nothing for Canada

Link with photos

From what I can see it would available for sale in June 2014 (in the US)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2014-02-27, 12:41 PM   #2
interdit_450

Default MohuChannels

Just checked back and it seems MohuChannels got funded - interesting to see if this OTA receiver / streaming box will be adapted to / sold in Canada.

At the price and the possibility that DVR capability will be added in the future this look interesting... assuming the tuner is of good quality of course. This is the first time for Mohu so there may be growing pains with the device.
Old 2014-03-11, 03:13 PM   #3
interdit_450

Default ^^^^^^

It seems this whole MohuChannels tuner/streaming box really took off. At last look (links already above) they are pushing towards $100k on Kickstarter to add features including a premium guide, what seems to be a simplistic DVR function and they also have packages geared for Canada now (check out the updates tab on their Kickstarter page).

The good news is with 750 backers investing $$$ in just a few weeks I guess this means OTA is still pretty popular!
Old 2014-03-21, 08:25 AM   #4
j0dest3r
Veteran

What a fantastic idea! OTT & OTA just seem to be a natural fit.
Old 2014-03-21, 06:55 PM   #5
Jase88

I don't see any ability with this device to act as a DVR. Though it appears to be a decent tuner device which incorporates OTT functionality.

What really interests me is their remote control. It incorporates motion sensing for navigation with a thumb qwerty keyboard. Finally something quick and easy to aid navigation....
Old 2014-03-28, 01:50 PM   #6
interdit_450

Ok, I'm getting really close to biting on this Mohu kickstarter thingy ... a few more backers and there will also be an Android app to control the box from a smartphone... Bah, what do I do??? It just seems so cool to have YouTube channels and stuff with my OTA feed on one device and that nifty remote/keyboard

Jase88, the "DVR" function seems to only be a 15 minute live TV pause buffer

I am definitely happy though that there are a lot more OTA hardware options out there now. Between this, TabloTV and the CM DVR+ it seems manufacturers are actually making cool products for OTA TV watchers again
Old 2014-04-01, 11:13 AM   #7
Krydor

Gigaom has a "first look" at what the thing looks like in action. Because it's android based, all the assorted apps are for Mobile devices. Those don't scale well. I love the concept, but this will have a hard time beating the Roku.