Bell TV 9241 HD PVR discussion thread - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV PVR, HD PVR and HD Receivers

Old 2009-02-20, 01:37 PM   #76
admin

Posts removed.

From post #1

Quote:
This discussion thread is for owners to discuss the new ExpressVu 9241 HD Receiver when it becomes available.

Any posts discussing when it will be available or from NON-owners will be deleted and the poster will receive an infraction.

Once again, this thread is for OWNERS only.

For non-owners who would like to learn more and discuss the new ExpressVu 6131 or 9241 receivers you can discuss it here.
admin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-20, 02:26 PM   #77
BrystonUser

So last night as I was watching tv, SD channel via S-video, for a few seconds I notcied the picture quality was actually good and compareable to my 6000. This didn't last long and it went back to the poor picture I have brought up in my previous posts. I waited and watched very closely over the next few minutes and noticed a very distinct pattern imerge. The good quality/bad quality difference would alternate very few seconds. When the picture went bad it would literally go out of focus which was the cause of the softer image I have been complaining about and if there was text on the screen you could clearly see the text was out of focus which presents itself as a really soft image on anything other than text. I didn't think to check if it is doing this on the composite feed so I will do that tonight but even if it doesn't this can't be normal and there must be something wrong with my receiver. The picture should not be losing focus every few seconds regardless of Bell telling me the overall picture quality on SD sources is not as good as that of my 6000.

I'm assuming no one else is experiencing this?
BrystonUser is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-02-20, 03:02 PM   #78
planetpatty
Rookie

The only time I have bad picture quality is when I watch through my dvd recorder. I have not noticed it when the recorder is off.
planetpatty is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-02-20, 09:13 PM   #79
BrystonUser

I was able to do a composite video test and the constant focused/out focus video was still there. I tested with 3 S-video cables and 2 composite cables going through my surround sound processor and then directly to my tv all with the same result.

I called Bell again to inform them about what I am experiencing and this time with more time talking with a tech 3 guy he determined the unit must be faulty, most likely some issue with the video processor so they are sending me a replacement. Fingers crossed.
Old 2009-02-25, 01:01 PM   #80
Tanner

Anybody know when and if Bell fixes the freezing issue with the 9241? It's starting to get really annoying, left a message for bell on their website and haven't heard from them and this was a couple weeks ago now. If I need to fast forward, what *seems* to work most of the time is skip, then wait a few seconds before fast forwarding again.
Tanner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-02-25, 06:39 PM   #81
Gimli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Anybody know when and if Bell fixes the freezing issue with the 9241? It's starting to get really annoying, left a message for bell on their website and haven't heard from them and this was a couple weeks ago now. If I need to fast forward, what *seems* to work most of the time is skip, then wait a few seconds before fast forwarding again.
Sorry, left my crystal ball at work today...
Gimli is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-02-27, 08:09 AM   #82
BrystonUser

I got my replacement receiver yesterday and unfortunately this one exhibits the same behaviour as the first, a darker picture over component and a constant focus/out of focus image when using S-video or composite cables. So the odds of me getting 2 receivers with the same defect is pretty slim so this has to be a flaw in the software or hardware. It still bothers me that I seem to be the only one with this issue.

Swapping cables didn't fix the problem, switching to different inputs on my tv didn't fix the problem, going both direct to my tv and through my surround sound processor didn't make any difference. Using the same cables I have tested with I connected them to my VCR, DVD player and Xbox and none of those have the problem I am seeing with the receiver.

I guess it is possible there is some odd incompatibility between my tv and the receiver but that's unlikely. Does anyone else have this receiver connected to a Pioneer Elite PRO-150 tv?
Old 2009-02-27, 02:12 PM   #83
draithby
Rookie

i got my 9241 on the replacement programe for my 6000 about 3 weeks agao.

I too have been having the problem where unit gets paused and u have to wait 10m seconds before u can do anything.

Also when you skip forward or back it is not as refined as the 9200 which i also have. 9200 nicely moves audio back a bit too so you don't miss the first second or 2 of audio like u do with thed 9241.

Hopefully as with the 9200 firmware updates will fix issues with 9241 soon.
draithby is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-02-27, 07:33 PM   #84
draithby
Rookie

another funny thing...

today in middle of watching pvr show the unit just reset and i swear it took almost 20 mins for me to have my picture back, which seems ridiculously long given the 9200 never took that long. hope that will be fixed as well
Old 2009-02-28, 03:15 PM   #85
BrystonUser

I called Bell back last night to let them know that the replacement receiver had the same problem, the original CSR put me straight through to teir 2 which was nice. I described the situation and all the trouble shooting I have done. The guy went away for a few minutes to talk with a senior level 3 tech. As the problem is not a known issue they immediately opened up a ticket to have the problem investigated to see if it might be a software or hardware issue which could be fixed. They told me to hold onto both receivers for now and will call me back in a few days after they have had some time to investigate further to see what the next step will be.

The only thing I hadn't thought to test out until this morning was to connect the receiver to a different tv, just to see what happens. Based on all my previous trouble shooting I didn't expect to see anything different and I was right, the problem was evident on the second tv. My main tv is a Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD, which is a 60" 1080 plasma. The second tv I tested with was my old Hitachi 53FDX01B rear projection CRT. It is HD compatible and can display 1080i content. It is a 4x3 dispaly.
Old 2009-03-01, 02:07 PM   #86
draithby
Rookie

forced reset of 9241 pvr while watching a pvr prev reorded program.

Took 5 mins to reboot.

That is twice in 48 hours.

Its gettin ridiculous!!

Anybody else having these resets ????
Old 2009-03-01, 03:13 PM   #87
BrystonUser

I haven't experienced anything severe like that. I do get the freeze others have reported when watching PVR'ed events which lasts about 10 seconds but control has always returned. I have never had to reboot the receiver.
Old 2009-03-01, 04:59 PM   #88
Fmrbdctm
Rookie

Just adding another voice to the "freezing" problem noted by others with the 9241. The time to recover is about 20-30 seconds. This is all the more frustrating because the freezing also means there will be lost portions of any second program recorded at that time.
I also notice the before mentioned quality loss when watching SD channels as compared to a previous PVR. A-B comparing my old 5900 to corresponding OTA channels showed the quality loss on Bell to be "detectable". With the 9241 it is "noticeable".
I have no means to do a similar A-B comparison with HD channels.
Presumably we all should contact Bell regularly on these issues to encourage a firmware update as soon as possible. Do any of the more experienced folks here have thoughts on the best way to do this? E-mail, phone, website? Does it matter?
Fmrbdctm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-01, 05:18 PM   #89
Whingenot
Rookie

Default Timer Record Difficulty?

My new 9241 was installed this week. My fisrt and only Timer recording was one of the HBOHD channel movies. However, since then all attempts at Timer recordings of both HD and SD channels have failed. The Statu screen tells me that "Signal Loss Detected". The last attempt was for Channel 306 (I subscribe) this afternoon. The red record light was not glowing ten minutes into the record time. So I weent to channel 306, viewed a few minutes of the movie, and then pressed record. The red light glowed!

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I may be missing?
Whingenot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-03-01, 05:29 PM   #90
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whingenot View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I may be missing?
Good firmware.
peano is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
9241, bell tv, belltv, hdcp, hdmi issue, ppv, pvr, recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.