Bow Tie TV Antenna Designs (mclapp's M4 featured) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television > Antenna Research & Development

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2009-01-17, 01:24 PM   #1
j3d

Arrow Bow Tie TV Antenna Designs (mclapp's M4 featured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
  • CM4221 is the original Channel Master 4-bay bowtie reflector (data from HDTVPrimer site)
  • CM4221HD is the new Channel Master 4-bay bowtie reflector (data provided by CM to videobruce - a DHC member. Assumed to have been in dBd)
  • PR-4400 is a 4-bay bowtie reflector made by Winegard (data from HDTVPrimer site)
  • DB-4 is a 4-bay bowtie reflector made by Antennas Direct (data from HDTVPrimer site)
  • SBGH is a Single Bay Gray Hoverman Gold Standard (GH10 data from j3d - a DHC member)
  • * antenna not designed for 52 and higher
  • M-4 is a DIY 4 Bay 40x44 14 inch Reflector spacing fwd ele & refl (data from mclapp - a DHC member)
  • ^ is the listed gain on the next highest channel since tables did not match all channels
Hi Stampeder,

I think that it would be nice to have links in the table for these
antennas or their computer models. For example I have been unable to
find the M-4.

Thanks,
--John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-01-17, 01:50 PM   #2
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3d
I have been unable to find the M-4.
That's a good point, j3d - mclapp and I were discussing how several of his 4-bay bowtie reflector variants fared very well in comparisons so I downloaded a spreadsheet of his and took the net gain numbers from it.

I used the terms M-4 and M-8 because he had not given them names, so I just used mclapp 4 and mclapp 8.

Today I'll put his spreadsheet up for you folks to check out. Hopefully mclapp will drop in today too.

Last edited by stampeder; 2009-01-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2009-01-17, 02:45 PM   #3
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Here's a comparison chart of some of mclapp's designs:

Old 2009-01-18, 04:03 PM   #4
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default mclapp's spreadsheet of various 4, 6, and 8 bay antennas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclapp
Here is an excel chart with some numbers for some computer modeled DIY collinear antennas, there is a early design GH in the chart which has been improved upon a few db since I made this chart
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/A...re11-23-08.xls
Old 2009-01-18, 08:27 PM   #5
mclapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3d View Post
Hi Stampeder,

I think that it would be nice to have links in the table for these
antennas or their computer models. For example I have been unable to
find the M-4.

Thanks,
--John
Are you looking for the model or the data? A bunch of models can be found here http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/A...uter%20Models/ most are in .ez format, the spreadsheet stampeder posted already.

The one Stampeder is calling M-4 is a 4 bay with a 14" reflector spacing, that one has the highest peak but a narrower band width, the 4 - 5" reflector spacings are more consistant across the UHF band but with 1 db or so less peak.

I've got a 8 bay vertical stack that's up to 19dbi net but have yet to test it other than computer modeling. A version of it is in the computer models folder in the link above, look for 8 bay vert stack.
Old 2009-01-25, 03:23 PM   #6
Frost55

Mclapp,any chance of putting your 8 bay vert stack" 19dbi " on the graph above
??
Old 2009-01-26, 07:37 PM   #7
Frost55

Default 8 bay vertical stack 19dbi Mclapp

Does anyone know I would find the specs on this antenna?element length and feed line spacing and stuff like that? Thanks
Old 2009-01-26, 10:12 PM   #8
mclapp

It's (2) 10" whisker 4 bays stacked vertically with the feed points 40" apart with a curved 40" wide wire fence reflector spaced 4" behind the driven elements. I have only computer modeled this antenna, I haven't finished building it so it hasn't been tested out in the field. Here is a picture of the semi built antenna. The phase lines between the 2 antennas have not been attached yet.
Old 2009-01-26, 10:46 PM   #9
mclapp

If you have a way to read excel spread sheets I have one on my web space called "4 bay compare 11-23-08" It has the computer simulated gain info on that antenna and many others I've modeled.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/Antennas/plots/
Sorry, I see stampeder already posted a link to that spreadsheet. If you can't do excel I could post a gain curve of that antenna.

I'll give a quick run down here. The UHF gain peaks at about 19.1dbi net around channel 41, the gain at channel 14 is 16.5dbi net and at ch 50 it's 17.5dbi net. I've found from my field testing on the antennas I've built that the gain curve is shifted downward on UHF a few channels compared to the computer models .

For VHF-HI the peak gain is 10.8dbi net on channel 8 and drops to 9.5dbi. net on channel 7 and 5.3 dbi net on channel 13.
Old 2009-01-26, 10:47 PM   #10
Frost55

Looks good! I think this will be killer for NBC Buffalo ch33 "18.25 net gain". Can't wait for you to test it
Old 2009-01-27, 11:42 AM   #11
franke
Rookie

mclapp:

Built 3 of your m4's with excellent results. I have enough materials on hand to built your stacked 8 bay and am ready to try it out. Couple questions.
1. What is the spacing for the 10"whiskers ?
2. Is your phase line spacing still 1 1/4" ?
3. You state a 40" feed point but I don't see it on your picture. (do you have a schematic I could follow?)
Old 2009-01-27, 12:12 PM   #12
mlord
Veteran

If there exist some detailed measurements for construction, I might be able to insert this antenna into a test lab equipped with a Spectrum Analyzer and Tracking Generator.. the output of which would be a plot of *actual* frequency response across the UHF band..

Need the measurements in easy-to-digest form, though.

Cheers
Old 2009-01-28, 12:03 AM   #13
mclapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke View Post
mclapp:

Built 3 of your m4's with excellent results. I have enough materials on hand to built your stacked 8 bay and am ready to try it out. Couple questions.
1. What is the spacing for the 10"whiskers ?
By spacing I think you mean bay to bay (vertical) spacing. I use 9 3/4" spacing on mine.
Quote:
2. Is your phase line spacing still 1 1/4" ?
Yes
Quote:
3. You state a 40" feed point but I don't see it on your picture. (do you have a schematic I could follow?)
I don't use stand offs at the feed point if I don't have to. I plan on soldering the co-phasing wires at the feed point of each 4 bay (which is the dead center of each 4 bay)
No I don't have a diagram of this yet I'm building mine off of the computer model dimensions.
The co-phase line is a little different, I'm going to use a tapered spaced phase line where the wires start at 1 1/4" at the feed point of each antenna narrow to 3/4" then open up to 2" at the center between the two 4 bays.

The tapered spaced line is an effort to get a better impedance match over a wider range of channels. I'll try to get a drawing made of the co-phase line the rest of the antenna is really just two 10" whisker 4 bays vertically spaced 40" center to center. It was modeled with swept forward elements (2") and a curved reflector 40" wide and 80" tall spaced 4" behind the elements. My as built uses two 40" wide x 38" tall reflectors and I left a 2" gap between the reflectors.
Old 2009-01-28, 12:05 AM   #14
Frost55

Well I started building one of these but I already had my whiskers made up so it won't be exact. 9.5"whiskers with 9.25 spacing.I give update when done.
Old 2009-01-28, 12:34 AM   #15
mclapp

That will be fine it will just have slightly less gain below ch20 and slightly more above 40.

Tags
antenna