Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Smart Home Monitoring System

77K views 72 replies 27 participants last post by  17671 
#1 ·
Later today, Rogers Communication will roll out a new Smart Home Monitoring service which combines energy management and home automation features along with a home security system.

First announced last November, the system is said to allow users the ability to remotely adjust and configure settings for your lights and temperature.

Since its also a security system, it will also notify users of any intrusions in the home or even when the children arrive home.

Rogers has been testing the product on Friends and Family since last November and was originally going to unveil the system in the early part of this year. No word on what issues Rogers faced that delayed the launch for so long.

I'll post more details later today when I get them.

#2 ·
Three levels of service:
  • Home Basics $40 per month
  • Home Essentials $48 per month
  • Ultimate Home $58 per month

Plus a $100 installation charge AND you must subscribe to a Rogers High speed Internet package.

Starter Kit is $750. The kit will consist of a Touchpad and two door/window sensors plus motion sensor. Additional components such as cameras, thermostats, and smoke sensors will also be available from $50 to $160 each.

#3 ·
It's unclear why you have to pay close to $750 for a touchpad when you can just use an iOS app?

The monitoring prices are astronomical. Imagine charging an extra $9 a month for smoke and fire and carbon monoxide and then $9 more a month for a camera PLUS you are paying for High Speed Internet charges.

I think this will go the way of Bell Home Monitoring.

#6 ·
If you look at the iOS app on iTunes, it looks like the app has all the necessary functionality and can replace the dedicated controller. My guess is the controller is marked up 100 or 200% over cost hence why its "necessary" to buy in the starter kit.

#7 ·
FYI from press release today

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 30, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- iControl Networks, a leader in broadband home management, today announced its OpenHome(TM) software platform is powering Smart Home Monitoring from Rogers, an innovative home monitoring and automation service.

"Rogers is leading the broadband home management industry in Canada, and by offering this service, will be meeting the demands of consumers who want to better protect and manage their homes," said Jim Johnson, co-CEO of iControl. "We are excited to collaborate with an industry-leader like Rogers, and extend our offerings to the Canadian market."

Powered by both Rogers cable and Rogers wireless networks, Smart Home Monitoring lets consumers automate and manage sensors, cameras, thermostats, lights and small appliances from the web and smartphones. Moreover, Smart Home Monitoring allows customers to create powerful rules that automate home control functionality, making home management easier than ever before.

At the heart of the solution is an ultra-rugged, easy-to-use touchscreen that consumers use to arm/disarm and manage their systems. Available in wall-mount or table-top, the touchscreen provides quick 1-touch access to home security functions, home automation apps for lighting, cameras and thermostats as well as multimedia apps for photos, traffic, weather and sports. When an alarm occurs, the touchscreen instantly connects with the Rogers central monitoring station simultaneously over both Rogers cable and wireless networks. The touchscreen constantly communicates with highly-encrypted smart sensors throughout the home, checking their status, signal strength, battery level and even room temperature.

#9 ·
Hugh, the prices seem to have gone down substantially.

I was quoted, on a 3-year contract:
Basic system, including TouchPad control unit and one door contact: $149
Extra wireless door contacts: $50
Wireless motion detector: $80
Wireless smoke/fire detector: $90

The $100 installation charge was waived.

Let's see how they perform. I will report back.

#10 ·
neoplop, in the old days, Rogers would give away digital set top boxes or cable modems with free installation. The Ted Rogers way was to subsidize the customer upfront, even ridiculously so with wireless and internet, then stick it to consumers longer term.

When Rogers was trying to get its first 100,000 Internet customers they often took losses of $700 to $800 per customer. They knew they would never make their money back on the early customers but the idea was to build critical mass then raise rates.

Looks like for home monitoring, they are doing the same. Sweetheart deals to early adopters, Sell equipment below cost, free installation and then make it all up on Internet and home monitoring costs of the customers who come later.

#11 ·
Ridiculous as the monthly fees are, they are very much in line with what ADT is charging (same equipment, same packages, made by iControl Networks)

There is nothing particurarly new or innovative about this offering, although it is nicely packaged. iControl, for their part, seems to be offering exclusive territories to cabelcos and mobile operators, so we won't see prices come down until a competitor steps up.

#12 ·
99semaj, my only point was that Rogers appears to be reverting to its old ways of "buying into the market" by discounting its hardware costs. Having HSI as a requirement also means they can offer substantial subsidies since they will likely grab over $1,000 a year in service fees.

My guess is sales are slow and they are trying to juice sales to avoid going the way of Bell Home Monitoring.

#13 ·
I currently have service from Chubb for $30 a month. When you see companies offering $10/month to monitor, the Rogers offering seems really expensive so it will be a tough sell.

The package is very nice and, if I was buying a new home and had no previous system, I'd probably go with it. But switching from a working system to a more expensive offering is difficult to justify. I would see people switching only if their current system failed them or they have a specific need that is fufilled by this service.

#15 ·
Yes the keypad is the base and the whole controller of the system. It can communicate the alarm events by using the homes Wi-Fi, and Ethernet connection or through it's built in Cell link.

The devices, smoke detectors, door contacts, motion detectors, etc.. communicate with the base unit, using a wireless protocol known as ZigBee, over the ISM band of 902.000 MHz 928.000 MHz

More on ZigBee;

ZigBee is a specification for a suite of high level communication protocols using small, low-power digital radios based on an IEEE 802 standard for personal area networks. Applications include wireless light switches, electrical meters with in-home-displays, and other consumer and industrial equipment that requires short-range wireless transfer of data at relatively low rates. The technology defined by the ZigBee specification is intended to be simpler and less expensive than other WPANs, such as Bluetooth. ZigBee is targeted at radio-frequency (RF) applications that require a low data rate, long battery life, and secure networking. ZigBee has a defined rate of 250 kbps best suited for periodic or intermittent data or a single signal transmission from a sensor or input device.

Sure it's probably the best system to use for a wireless alarm system but in my opinion anything wireless can be jammed. Always install a WIRED security system! If you don't think the 'Bad Guys' can't buy a jammer... think again!

#16 ·
Considering the system has redundancy, the pricing is not that bad. If you get an alarm system from any other company with a cellular backup service you're looking at about $40 a month already or you need to buy the backup unit which can run you 3-500 dollars.

Wonder if smart home monitoring will have retention deals like their other product lines. If they do, I definitely would consider switching.

#18 ·
Rogers Smart Home monitoring reviews?

Does anyone in this forum have Rogers smart home monitoring and if so would you guys be able to post your experience? If not, does anyone know any links to reviews? Google didn't pull up too many reviews.

I'm seriously considering a switch as Rogers has recently lowered their smart home monitoring pricing and is now actually cheaper then what I'm paying for my current alarm system and I would get cellular connectivity thus allowing me to ditch my home phone altogether saving me over $300 a year. Also, Rogers now supports existing motion sensors and door contact meaning there is minimal equipment to purchase.

#19 ·
I have rogers smart home

I know no one has been here for a while but one of the first pages i find when searching through google and i figured i should share my experience. WORST SYSTEM EVER. Who ever thought that going for security with rogers would be a smart idea. Few examples are the techs that come to your house to fix problems know me by name. MY SYSTEM HAS FROZEN. Meaning i walked in through my front door and nothing happened. No count down to put my code in. No Alarm. N one called me to as if everything is ok. System froze. GREAT SECURITY. And i'm locked in for another 2 years. At 400$ to cancel the service it seems very tempting. If you are going to purchase this. MAKE SURE you get battery warranty. My thermostat batteries have been replaced 5 times so far. What else....OH My indoor camera disconnects sometimes (not often but sometimes i cant see what is going on). More often then not when i try to connect through my iphone I get a connection time out ( my iphone or wifes iphone). So if someone here is looking for equipment i'll sell you my whole system for whatever my cancellation fee is. PS. First post on this site

#20 ·
I would say that I have had the complete opposite experience from the above post. I quite like my Rogers Home Monitoring system. I have had no technical issues. The system runs through my Rogers internet service and is backed up by their 3G wireless network. The technicians were friendly, professional, and actually followed up to make sure that everything was working properly and that we were satisfied (a Rogers first!).

I like that I can monitor with my smart phone, iPad, and PC - regardless of where I am. I can see the comings and goings of my children, as they go in and out the door (based on email or text notification) - if they aren't home when they are supposed to be, I'll know.

I reviewed other options - I found most alarm sales people to be very pushy and assume that the consumer doesn't do any type of research; i.e. pushing the top end alarm service first. The Rogers rep was great - no bs; gave us what we asked for from the start.

I recommend highly.

#21 ·
I had a RHM sales person in last night - I have to agree with the above post, the salesman we had was very knowledgeable, and didn't try to push the most expensive thing on us. We already have an existing system that I'm going to switch over - they just install what they call a PIM to interface with the touchpad - everything talks over WiFi to their monitoring centre (and uses cell as a backup) so there's minimal work to do to get their system. We are just waiting for the install / takeover to be scheduled - hopefully it is a good choice!

One thing we wanted (that we don't currently have) is SMS/E-Mail notifications when the system is activated / deactivated; the Rogers system has this in the monitoring cost.

#22 ·
Well, we are now using Rogers SHM - and so far, the whole thing is pretty good. We didn't get any of the other controls installed (thermostat or power) and used our existing system (A Honeywell Vista-20 panel with a total of 17 sensors on it). The panel is nice - I like being able to control it from the car using my iPhone so I can disarm it before I go in the house (it'll be nice when we have our hands full!). So far, we're pleased overall with it.

#25 ·
yyzlhr, they installed their own wireless router in front of mine on a different wi-fi network - I still use mine. They use a NetGear (not sure the exact model). For the TouchPad, I'm not sure - they told me it the "latest one" so I would hope it's the Thompson. I don't think there is any marking for either SMC or Thompson on it. The one thing I was told about it is there is no wall mount for it.

They used all our existing components, but there was a minor change in functionality - once the PIN is installed, all the "advanced" functions from the keypad are gone i.e. if you have quick arming it is gone, as is a door chime. The touchpad does make a noise when a zone changes state, so if you can hear that then that covers the missing door chime.

We had one door replaced about a week ago - no problems with the alarm. They reconnected the contacts and everything works as it should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.