Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers now offers outdoor modem for portable internet

165K views 396 replies 93 participants last post by  Pinza 
#1 ·
Rogers portable internet is now available with an external modem. With this modem you can not recieve the portable internet if you could not recieve it before but you were not to far out of the service area.

http://hispeed.rogers.com/expand/portable_int_outdoor.html

They have a new availability tool on another site that shows it this modem may work for you. If the availablity tool on the normal rogers portable internet site shows "no coverage" try this one for the outdoor modem and expanded coverage.

http://hispeed.rogers.com/expand/

I now show up as able to get coverage but so far they say they aren't shipping these yet even though they have the price listed and instructions to mount them--spent an hour on the phone playing phone tag.

#2 ·
$250 for a modem !

That seems like a heck of a lot money. How is this any different than the indoor modem? (other than having some sort of weather protection)

#3 ·
I hope it gets much better reception like they say but I guess I won't know until I convince them to sell me one. I remember reading about it last year when Nextnet had it and I saw rogers was offering it to commercial customers only at that time. On the Motorola site is says extended range with the outdoor unit up to 32 km but I am not sure how.

http://www.nextnetwireless.com/products_CPE.asp

Actually I see on the Motorala site now they have it in PC card form aswell. Maybe Rogers or Bell with offer this version soon also.

owe how I long to get off dial-up.....without spending too much cash

#4 ·
Bell's offering the outdoor modem now, calling the service Bell WiMAX at home. You can't buy the modem. Instead you have to sign a 3-year contract and spend $15/month for the modem (15x36= $540) plus $50/month for the service. Also 10Gb/month download limit, $1.50/Gb for over 10Gb to max of $30. Ripoff

#7 ·
inukshuk's expansion plans

What I find particularly annoying is the fact that inukshuk is completely silent on WHERE/WHEN/IF they plan to expand their WiMAX network. This is no different than Bell or Roger's deliberate obfuscation though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Just annoyed!

#8 ·
Bell's offering the outdoor modem now, calling the service Bell WiMAX at home. You can't buy the modem. Instead you have to sign a 3-year contract and spend $15/month for the modem (15x36= $540) plus $50/month for the service. Also 10Gb/month download limit, $1.50/Gb for over 10Gb to max of $30. Ripoff
Actually WiMAX is wireless but not their "portable internet", it's not that widespread.

But what t121t3 is referring to partnership between Bell and Rogers (they both maintain the same network but have seperate customers). Bell's service for "portable internet" is called Sympatico Unplugged.

https://www.highspeedunplugged.sympatico.ca/

And you can buy the modem. (Actually you have to)

#9 ·
Rogers Outdoor Modems DO NOT WORK!!

May 9, 2007 - Ordered Modem from Phone Operator at Rogers
May 11, 2007 - Modem Delivered by UPS
May 12, 2007 - Modem installed 20 feet in the air on an aerial tower facing SSW with direct connection to computer

The modem has signal strength in the link monitor software of between 76 and 96 but it never gets a VLAN ID.

It has been almost a week and Rogers does not have a effin clue what is going on and all I get is promises of returned calls that never happen.

I am located in Markham, Ontario and I am just outside of the DSL range. There are apparently 7 towers along 404 Highway and it is within range.

10+ phone calls (and you all know what it is like to get through to those Tech SUpport) and there is no answers whatsoever. Finally, in frustration they say that it is "too far from the tower" notwitstanding that they said it is well within range and I am getting strong signal.

Any ideas?

I am think of trying Rogers Portable as it may just be that their outdoor modems are still in BETA.

Needless to say if Bell had some sort of resonable plan I would try them.

#10 ·
Bell is using the same infrastructure and presumably the same outdoor modems (or similar) so I'm not sure what difference going to Bell would make.

I don't understand why you have made 10+ calls in four days. Why the need to continually call? I understand its not working for you but what is changing that you must continually call?

#11 ·
The Reason for the 10+ calls is that the Level 1 techs would not bump the claim and continuously ask me stupid questions like what are the lights on the modem doing when there are no lights on the modem and the Level 2 techs have never even seen an outdoor modem.

It is a provsionioning issue and I don't think it is a Hardware issue as much as a server issue, hence why going with Bell may be different as I am sure that they provision the modems different with their own servers.

Also, it has been 6 days, but who's counting. ;)

#13 ·
i am having frustrations with rogers support as well. i simply want to order the outdoor modem (as the website indicates i am eligible to receive service via it).

however, the tech people have NO clue what is going on. they say i cannot get it while the internet "check if it is available" postal code check says it is!

i think this is so new that they have released it too early. they need some more info on how to use/unroll this product! talking to them about it is impossible. they barely know the difference between portable and outdoor antenna wifi internet.

i will wait until july to check again...hopefully the bugs will be worked out!

dude

#14 ·
Helplessness has set in and I have just stopped calling.....meanwhile I am still getting billed for the service and it is up to me to call in and get the credit. They don't even have a system in place to send me a replacement. It is a complete disaster and the amount of work it is going to take to get my money back makes me sweat.

Needless to say stay far away....

#15 ·
I have experience the same problems... you call for support and cable support takes the call. They try to transfer you to wireless support and another cable guy picks up. It takes at least an 1/2 hour to talk to someone who is familiar with the wireless internet.The tech support they offer is TERRIBLE, I think it is just a call center, they are only prepared to tell you to check the connections, reboot your computer etc.

My account set up is a mess, they have me setup as if I am near Ottawa, but I am near Sudbury. They cannot even find my registered phone number in the system. RRRRR

Now for the technical issues...I am about 20 km from the tower and receive only one channel (7) I receive decent strength (about 29%), but only at certain times or conditions. I haven't figure out what causes the fading, but it often fades to 0 and I lose connection. The weather doesn't seem to be a factor. I am wondering if it has anything to do with other atmospheric conditions, such as light cloud cover. It seems when the skies are clear, I get no signal at all. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am about to try a taller tower, about 40' high to improve the signal, but I am worried that it is just the system that is flawed.

#17 ·
My problem appears to be solved and it was a defective modem. I am still upset as the techs refused to send me a new modem and told me that I am too far from the tower (in other words eff off) when I knew that I was not. Finally, had to tell the tech support that others in the area were using portable modems successfully and then they sent me the new modem. The new one came I installed it and up popped the VLAN ID which would never come up before. This took 20 days to resolve as they are not set up to trouble shoot these things. I have learned a lot in the process and it would seem that these outdoor modems are using the same towers as the portable (which are rated for 8 km distance from tower). The outdoor modems are supposed to be good for upto twice that which would put it at 16km. It would seem that you are out of range. Call tech support and have them go through with you on the phone where the towers are in your area and that will enable you to find out if there are other towers to point at. I wouldn't invest too much on a taller tower as height will likely not make a difference unless there is a bloackage issue. Hope you get your matter resolved.

#18 ·
hi all...wanted to post my results as i __finally__ have high speed internet (w/ the outdoor antenna)

once you get through all of the hassles with rogers, the equipment works well (so far!)

however, ordering it was a nightmare. i read on here that the muskoka store was selling the outdoor antenna, so i bought it (and, i was assured that if i did not get a signal, i could return it within a month). well, i bought it despite rogers saying i wasn't in an area that could get a signal. however, the website they have says i was. i wanted to know the truth!

i got a signal on my roof by holding the antenna above my head. when i climbed up my tv antenna, i got an even better signal (66). the tower is 8.5km away.

actually getting rogers to activate my account took 3 phone calls. the first two told me that in order to set up an account it would take 24-48 hrs.

i finally phoned a csr who made an account, but had to put me on hold several times to make it happen. clearly it was new for him to do this with the outdoor antenna.

got the passwords etc and i am up and running.

as i stated, it seems to be working great. i am getting a benchmark of 1.6 mb per second (according to a website i checked).

despite the ridiculous number of clued out people at rogers, if you are patient you might be happy with the product!

cheers!

dude

#20 ·
I have learned a lot in the process and it would seem that these outdoor modems are using the same towers as the portable (which are rated for 8 km distance from tower). The outdoor modems are supposed to be good for upto twice that which would put it at 16km.
I believe the outdoor modem is rated for 32 km. When I first ordered the service, I had the indoor modem which I tried outside on a small hill across the street. I received a good strong signal, which is why I ordered the outdoor modem. I figured it would be that much better as they claim.

#23 · (Edited)
finally recieved outdoor modem-returning it

After weeks of calling and not getting anyone who new what an outdoor modem was I finally got a sales person that allowed me to give her the website then she checked and found out how to send it to me. One thing I notice is on the new maps on there site that shows the outdoor modem coverage-it is really only a few hundred meters at most past indoor modem coverage. The outdoor modem does not live up to expectations. I have managed to get a signal now and then but not enough actually give me a value in the software-just enought to change from the 2 beep then no beep(indicating no signal) to the repeated beeping but only about 1 a second apart(need 2 a second to have recommended minimum). It is not line of sight technology but for me to maintain a signal it requires almost as much percision as aiming a satellite dish. I will now have to return it...no looking forward to all the calls I will have to make to find someone again who will know what it is and how to return it.
Todd
PS-it says I am 8.4 km from the tower when I do get a signal(not enough for a strength value though...and need 20 strength minimum)

#25 ·
yeah...i was just getting two beeps on my roof until i put my outdoor antenna on my tv tower. it is about 10 feet higher than my roof. just last night i got a score of 76! (highest rating yet, but am _always_ between 43 and 66).

go UP and get that signal!!

also, i am 8.5 km from tower, but down in a valley...hence the reason to go up with the equipment.

#26 ·
Thanks for help...what sort of places might have this?

Where is the best place to get a mast to put on top of my roof? I know I can buy free standing towers that go on the ground and up to 70 feet(more money than I want to spend) but I take it from what you are saying I can just use a round TV antenna mast? I remember many years ago radio shack sold all sorts of these but I checked there site never saw anything. I have already attached the Outdoor modem to a 12' 2x4 and held it up on top of my roof...and got a beep a second...so I need to get maybe 20' above my roof and try again. The outdoor modem looks like it might really catch the wind so I guess pole will have to be very strong. Or is it like a free standing tower but roof mounted intead?

#27 ·
Does Outdoor Modem help in Valley

I have tried the Bell Unplugged with standard modem and can get signal (in vehicle with AC adapter) only on top of large hill about 3km from home. However, as I decend into valley, the signal disappears entirely.

So, it appears Rogers system with outdoor antenna might be worth trying WITH mast?

Any tips on where to get roof mounted masts?

BTW: very similar experinces with both Bell Sympatico Unplugged and Rogers Portable call centre. Long delays, mis-information regarding postal codes, etc. My rural location based on my mailing address shows service is available. Use the local postal code and it shows up unavailable.

Also, a caution...Bell sales claims 30 day grace period...Bell customer support claims 14...Bell service agreement states both ambigously!!!!!!!!!

#28 ·
The Source (former Radio Shack) sells a 3' rooftop tripod with 5' sections of mast. The unit seems strong, but if you are worried just use guy-wires to stabilize. The whole unit costs about $80 incuding a ground spike. Copper ground wire is expensive though, ~$6/meter.

It seems as though this system is really dependant on topography, more so than they like to admit. I have also spoke to a technician that admitted the system is susceptible to 'time of day' interference, hinting that increased radio noise during the day can affect the signal.

It would be great if others who have had luck with this system would post their experience.

XSCEN

#29 ·
my outdoor antenna fluctuates about by about 20 points (low 40s to mid 60s) every time i monitor the antenna.

i always thought it was because my antenna has a bit of sway to it (due to the fact that i never took the old top off the antenna (whatever the wire tuning part of it is called from the old tv days).

what is this about radio interference? i just hope i dont ever drop lower, although all the tree coverage etc seems to be in by now...hopefully i am "out of the woods"?!

dude

#30 ·
I just called to suspend my service until I can install my tower (I have a really steep roof cannot safely climb it). They will not let people suspend service, so I had to cancel. They even wanted to charge me for usage, when I have barely been able to connect! The modem is non-refundable, even though they assured me that I would receive service in my area when I bought it.

I hope it works with a taller tower, if not I'm taking offers on a brand new outdoor modem w/ all equipment (& a tower if needed). :mad:

It sucks dealing with these large companies who care more about their shareholders than their customers :mad:

#31 ·
outdoor modem cable length?

could anyone who has used the outdoor modem let us know how long the cable from the outdoor modem to the power supply/ethernet is?

for a lark i took my indoor modem up the ladder to the potential install site and was getting three bars of reception. should this be adequate? indoors i find one bar is usually enough, but i am constantly having to chase the modem around to get the one bar. if it got three bars up the ladder on a cloudy day can i just set up the outdoor modem and forget about it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.