Android 5.0 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Smartphone and Tablet Computing including Android, Blackberry and iOS devices

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2013-04-29, 05:24 PM   #1
Ouser

Default Android 5.0

I have seen reports that Android 5.0 might be revealed at the Google 'summit' in May.

I have tried to find out which existing phones would support the new o/s, hoping that my Galaxy Nexus isn't already defunct. The N1 lasted a while before they cut it off, but with the S111 and the new S4 from Samsung, Im wondering if they are holding 5.0 back for quad-cores only.

Any info anyone- searches are not proving fruitful...

Also, what about the Asus Transformer Infinity, do you think it could run 5.0?

Thanks folks- the sources here are always really helpful!
Advertisement

Old 2013-04-29, 05:33 PM   #2
TKG26
Veteran

Actually sounds like 4.3 jellybean is more likely

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/04/29/go...-io-this-year/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-04-29, 06:05 PM   #3
TorontoColin

The only sure bets to get the next Android update (be it 4.3 or 5.0) are the Nexus 4, 7, and 10. The Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S IV and HTC One are also extremely likely, though I'd expect it will be the last update for the Galaxy Nexus.

I'm sure the Transformer Infinity could run it, but only Asus knows whether they will update it.
Old 2013-04-29, 07:04 PM   #4
brownstar
Veteran

Far more likely that it will be an incremental update of JB rather than KLP
Old 2013-04-29, 07:09 PM   #5
audacity
Veteran

Why is this far more likely?

Last edited by TorontoColin; 2013-04-29 at 09:35 PM. Reason: UQR
Old 2013-04-29, 08:51 PM   #6
asif9t9
Veteran

It'll be interesting to see if the Samsung and HTC phones can more easily be updated along with Android in the future. It's not the devices that can't handle it, but rather all the updating involved with Touchwiz and Sense.
Old 2013-04-29, 09:38 PM   #7
TorontoColin

A few of the Android blogs have posted about it recently, but it mostly amounts to mounting evidence in server logs from Google IP ranges that Android 4.3 Jelly Bean exists, and since it has not been released yet, IO seems the logical release date.

However, while it seems almost certain that it will be Android 4.3 announced at IO, and that 4.3 is currently a Jelly Bean build internally, there is no guarantee that Google won't simply change the name of 4.3 to Key Lime Pie.
Old 2013-04-30, 11:16 AM   #8
rfielder
Veteran

Per the original post here - I find it interesting that there have been rumours about 5, but no details as to what 5 will include. Even as speculation.

An earlier post mentioned the SIII (note - it is NOT an S111, even if that sums to the right number! ). I am still dissapointed that the S3 still has not caught up with the latest version. Given the "rumoured" availability of 4.3, I have to wonder if the vendors are slow with the upgrades on purpose.

It must take a significant amount of resources to be testing every phone you sell with every upgrade....and we all know how much Rogers loves applying resources to non-profit activities!
Old 2013-04-30, 12:48 PM   #9
Ouser

My mistake! S3 (SIII) Thanks for the correction.
Old 2013-04-30, 01:05 PM   #10
TorontoColin

I'm sure 5.0 will include a visual refresh, probably something that makes it look more like Google Now and the new Play Store. We probably won't see 5.0 until October though, alongside a new Nexus.

We've had hints of what they'll release at IO, but we have no idea if they'll be built into 4.3 or they'll just be app releases. Things like a unified messaging service, subscription music and news services, and cloud gaming capabilities seem likely.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Android has come so far that we don't really know what to look for anymore. It's hard to look to iOS or other platforms and see what Android is missing, and then look for signs of work in that area. Whatever 4.3 and 5.0 include will mostly have to be either minor or innovative.
Old 2013-04-30, 01:35 PM   #11
TKG26
Veteran

I'd love nothing less thrn double battery life without havibg to turn everything off lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Old 2013-04-30, 02:34 PM   #12
audacity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26
I'd love nothing less thrn double battery life
I'd love nothing more than double battery life.

Unfortunately, this is difficult to achieve with Android. The thing is, Android uses a JVM, and virtual machines are much slower than "native" code. The reason why Android phones seem to lose the battery life comparisons by a significant margin is because of the extra processor cycles (and battery) which is spent doing garbage collection.

The old argument for garbage collection was "well, computers are getting faster all the time, so the 30-100% performance loss will be made up in x months - and it's easier on the developers that don't need to manage memory".

Unfortunately while processor performance is still getting faster and a good rate, battery capabilities are not. So, if iOS can do the same function without the GC pass, this really helps their battery life, because the iOS processor is sleeping while the Android processor is doing GC.

Both Blackberry (in 10) and Windows Phone (from 7 -> 8) moved away from the virtual machine model for mobile apps. Android is the only platform that is still primarily built using a JVM (or VM of any sort) that implements garbage collection.

It looks like we'll have a resurgence of reference counting, and developers managing their memory so consumers get more battery life back. Either that, or Android devices will need significantly larger batteries to get comparable battery life to a iPhone.

So, in summary, the #1 feature that I would request for the next version (whether 4.3 or 5.0) of Android is for them to provide an alternative native development platform, and start the transition away from Java.
Old 2013-04-30, 08:40 PM   #13
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Either that, or Android devices will need significantly larger batteries to get comparable battery life to a iPhone.

samsung galaxy rubgy pro 1850 mAh (mine)

iphone 5 1440 mAh (wife)

with comparable use between the 2( texting, games, video watching, actual phone use), I get almost quadruple the life between charges as she does

her phone gets 8-10 hours on a charge, where I can get away with charging every other day almost (i can get 36 hours between charges np, sometimes 40)

now granted battery life is one of the few things this particular model does, but it doesn't take a crazy huge battery for android to out perform iOS
Old 2013-04-30, 09:46 PM   #14
TKG26
Veteran

I have a 3200mah pack in my GS3... Im a HEAVY user.... Its tuff to get 8hrs

Although im not conviced my 18$ 3200mah packs are actually 3200.
Old 2013-05-01, 09:43 PM   #15
asif9t9
Veteran

I agree on wanting more battery life. Anyone else use Greenify? It's an Android app that puts apps to real "sleep" when the phone is sleeping. But also, the developer claims to be focusing his efforts on changing the developer behaviour on Android to respect battery life more.