Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Yamaha HTR-6063 / Problem with Component to HDMI (Xbox 360)

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Almadacr 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Yamaha HTR-6063 AV Receiver and one of the main reasons for my purchase was that it upconverts analog video and outputs it via HDMI.

However, I am having trouble with that functionality, especially with HD Component input.

I have attached my Xbox 360 (older model without HDMI outputs) to the AV1 input on the Receiver via Component and TOSLink cables and the Receiver is attached to a Sharp Aquos 42D62 TV (which supports up to 1080p) via HDMI cable. I'm getting a picture on the TV, but it is very grainy and fuzzy when I select either 720p or 1080i as the resolution on the Xbox 360 - almost looks like looking through a waterfall. What's interesting to note is that there is about a fifth of the picture on the left that is clear and not grainy at all.

When I select 480p as the resolution on the Xbox 360, the entire picture is fine, but obviously I'd like to use the higher resolution.

When I attach the Xbox 360 directly to the TV (using the same cables and the same resolutions), the picture is clear and not fuzzy.

According to the Receiver manual, this should work fine, but unfortunately it doesn't. I've sent an Email to Yahama's tech support, but haven't heard back.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The HDMI cable from the receiver is a brand new 15ft cable. Don't think it's the culprit since input from HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the receiver (1080i and 1080p) respectively is being passed through to the TV just fine.

I tried with a different 6ft. HDMI cable - unfortunately the same result.

Plugging the Xbox 360 directly into the TV using the same component cables also works fine.

I'll try a few different things later today, but I wonder if the unit is maybe defective?

#5 ·
This is what I have plugged in right now:

HDMI1: Motorola DCT-6416 PVR
HDMI2: Apple TV
AV1: Xbox 360

The receiver only has one additional input (AV2) which I'll try tonight. Also, I'll try what the picture looks like coming from the Component Out of the receiver as I didn't try that yet. That will kinda defeat the purpose of buying the receiver in the first place though :(

#6 ·
So I tried the AV2 input - unfortunately the same result.

Using the Component Out of the Receiver gives a perfect image, so something must be up with the Component to HDMI conversion. That's a serious bummer :(

Will try to phone Yamaha customer support tomorrow, hopefully they can help.

If anyone has any other suggestions or tips, please share!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.