Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Helpi VPN on actiontec 1000

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  QueBall 
#1 ·
My inlaws wanted bbc and itv from the uk on an iPad and subscribed to a service that uses pptp VPN. I managed to configure the actiontec to work with the VPN service fine, but it appears it only allows one VPN connection at a time? (they now want to have 2 iPads that can access at same time)

My questions are:

Can the actiontec support multiple VPN connections at the same time

If not will adding a router that supports multiple VPN work...and if so, can you recommend a model or models.

If either above don't work, should they find a different service to do this? Strongvpn for example?

The uk company that provides this service to them says it can be done, but their support ability seems to end with their own service and they are not helpful when it comes to dealing with our providers and hardware.

#2 ·
The actiontec routers are very bad for VPN connections. If the protocol of the VPN was pptp it would not even work with 1 computer until you manually setup the vpn application in the firewall and you must hard code your IP address on your computer to keep it working once you have made that change or never turn off that computer if you leave it on automatic or you will have to reset the settings.

You might have to request Telus to send you the modem that works in bridged mode so you can run your own router. Most popular routers you can buy at the store will work pretty well once you have a plain old modem from telus. Simply adding the router to the existing actionec router will not fix the situation unless you hack the modem and install different firmware on it that will let you put the actiontec into bridged mode. (Telus does not want you to do this to their modems and their firmware has removed the ability to turn off the router features and just use bridged mode. And they will send out a different modem if you request it and tell them you want to use your own VPN router)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.