Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Adding a SATA Drive To Pace HDPVRs.

180K views 292 replies 107 participants last post by  Dr Den 
#1 ·
Edit by 57. Please discuss adding/using an external SATA HDD in this thread. Please also see the following new post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=98929

Hi, new to DHome and Pace 775D. So far all is well with the Pace and love being free'd from commercials!

Thinking about adding an external drive and contacted Shaw tech support. They didn't really have much advise to offer except to email me these instructions from their notes;

8 - Connecting eSATA external Hard Drive to Pace HD PVR

This section outlines the process on how to properly install an external SATA (e-SATA) drive on Pace Tahoe TDC775D.

**Important: Content recorded on the PVR can only be viewed from that specific device. Content can not be transferred or viewed on a home computer or any other electronic device. Do not use an E-SATA from your PC as it will be automatically reformatted when connected to Pace resulting in ALL DATA BEING LOST.

Installation
1. Pace PVR must be disconnected at the time an e-SATA drive is connected.
**NOTE: If an e-SATA drive is connected while the system is running the e-SATA drive will not be recognized.
2. e-SATA drive must be connected utilizing the SATA port via an e-SATA cable.
3. Once connected, the PVR can be booted up. Boot time should not be affected when a properly working e-SATA drive is connected.
4. Once the e-SATA drive is connected and the PVR is powered on, the user will be prompted to format the e-SATA drive. This will mate the e-SATA drive and its contents to that PVR. Formatting of the e-SATA drive will only be required the first time the e-SATA drive is connected to the STB.
5. You must choose “YES” in order to have external eSATA Hard Drive functionality on the PVR, formatting will take 10 to 15 seconds.

**NOTE: Content recorded on the PVR can only be viewed from that specific device. Content can not be transferred or viewed on a home computer or any other electronic device. Moving eSATA to PC will cause an automatic reformat and all data will be lost (vice versa: PC drive to pace).

Reading this forum I didn't find any "approved" eSATA drives, though Western Digital seems preferred, but any drive can be used as long as it's; under 750GB, non USB, 7200rpm 133mb/sec, and conncected with an eSATA crimping cable?

I wonder if I will lose my programming currently on the PVR once I connect the external. Sounds like once installed both internal and external drives are accessed automatically.

Anyone have any sucess/failure with certain drives? Anything else I should be thinking about before going shopping for an external drive?

See less See more
#66 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pace Tahoe PVR

I purchased a PVR through Shaw Cable and chose a Pace rather than a Motorola because of the feature of being able to add an external hard drive. I have a 500 gig external hard drive with USB connections and was wondering if I could buy a USB to SATA adapter cable and use it, instead of having to purchase another hard drive with SATA connections. Has anyone tried this or know if this is possible?

#67 ·
Stuttering Playback with External Drive

I have a Pace 775 that has “jerky” or “stuttering” playback when using an external drive. I have read most of the threads here and I appreciate any help to fix this problem or find an external drive that will work. I have the following setup:

• Firmware 10.29 with Shaw cable
  • A Vantec NexStar 3 enclosure model NST-360SU-BK. It is a combo USB eSATA.
  • Hitachi Deskstar 750GB model 7K1000
  • I have had the Pace for 3 weeks and the hard drive is new (purchased for this system one week ago).

The external drive install went well and if I operate without the external drive, everything works. If I reboot the system with the external drive it works properly for a period of time but within 24 hours the video problem reoccurs. I tried the Hitachi utility to change the interface speed, sleep mode, and quiet mode but no combination seems to work. Spread spectrum clocking is off. The drive is healthy based on PC tests with SpinRite software from GRC.com I tested all Linux partitions (between 5 to 7 partitions).

I would appreciate any confirmation of success with the enclosure. Is anyone successfully using a 750GB drive with the Vantec? I have found posts with people using smaller capacity drives with the Vantec and not reporting any problems. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.

#68 ·
I've been using a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA in the exact same enclosure that you are using for about 3 weeks. The setup went smoothly and I haven't had any major issues. The only thing that I've noticed is that occasionally the 30 second skip button doesn't work. I haven't figured out why or called Shaw about it yet as it's only happened a couple of times.

#69 · (Edited by Moderator)
HELP!

I have an external HDD connected to the Pace HD-PVR for a month now. I accidentally disconnected (pulled the plug) the Pace HD-PVR. When I reconnected it, it asks if I want to format the external HDD. I clicked "No" (hoping to keep my previous recordings).

When it was back up and running, all the programs that I've recorded when I first installed the HDD is gone. What should I do if I want to recover those recordings? Did I miss a step somewhere? Should I have said "Yes"? Any help would be great. Thanks!

#73 ·
The External HDD should not require a reformatting under "normal" circumstances like you described.

I do suggest that people who have PVRs get themselves a UPS to keep the HDD and the PVR running during power outages of up to about 1-2 hours (350-750 VA UPS). You can usually purchase one on sale for about $50. You can then plug the rest of your HT equipment into the non-battery side for surge protection.

#74 ·
A couple of observations...

I've found that external HDD content survives Pace unplugs and power failures.

I've also found that it is possible to switch between external hard drives. I did the following...

Disconnect external drive A.
Unplug Pace.
Connect new external drive B.
Power up Pace and format B.
Verify that B drive works properly.
Unplug Pace.
Connect old drive A.
Power up Pace.
Pace prompts "Format drive?"
I reply no.
Pace shows no drive A, and no A content !!

At this time I thought I had lost the content from drive A. But I then did an unplug/powerup, and the A content was back.

#76 ·
I am having a similar problem to Tuulum. Post #67

I have a Pace 775 that has “jerky” or “stuttering” playback when using an external drive.
Several months ago I added a Western Digital 500GB (model #WD500AAKS) to my Pace and everything has been working great. Recently playback started freezing (stuttering) every 5 minutes for about 1 minute on random recorded programs.

Got a reset from Shaw, still freezing. Removed my WD hard drive, formatted the Pace and all working fine again for a week now.

Anyone else having issues with stuttering playback?

I am going to replace my WD hard drive and try again...

#77 ·
Surgery to get Mybook Home Edition Drive to work with Pace

Just a quick note to those interested. I encountered the same firmware issue with the MyBook 500GB Home Edition. I figured I'd try to salvage the bare drive and put into the Vantec eSATA enclosure mentioned by others here. It worked and now my PACE diagnostic reports that I have 99 hours of HD storage capacity on the external drive. Cheers!

#79 · (Edited)
Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB

I have tried to get my FreeAgent Pro to work with limited success. I will work for a day or 2 but then the Pace will have a picture for 5-10 seconds then goes away. You can get the picture back by changing the channel but the same thing occurs. If you remove the eSATA drive all is fine. Now lindend has told me that it could be an issue because the drive also has firewire and USB. I've read the list of approved drives and some of those have USB as well. Has anyone really had long term success with a drive? And also a drive that is available in Canada?

It also seems that my Pace was only working because the tech did not reinstall the eSATA drive properly. He must have plugged it in with the Pace on. Once I reinstalled it properly, I ended up with the same problems with the picture and sound dropping off. It is definitely an eSATA problem, or at least originates there. All I really want to do is find a eSATA drive that works with the Pace Tahoe. If I call Shaw I think they will replace the Tahoe but I don't think that will help.

#81 ·
See post 27 of this thread and the link there. The link discusses the various drives that work with the SA8300HD (similar but not identical unit).

The drives that have power management like the mybook and FreeAgent don't work with the SA8300HD since the drives there need to be on 24/7 and they may not play nice with the Pace either (although they are supposed to).

I would like to suggest that the drives outlined in the SA thread are more likely to work with the Pace than buying a pig in a poke.

I believe that the DVR expander does work, although it typically costs more than the "do-it-yourself" solutions that many of us have made using an enclosure and HDD.

#85 ·
FYI,

The following drives are tested and will work with Pace DVRs:

• Western Digital MyDVR Expander (WDG1S5000)
  • Seagate DVR Expander (ST30500SCA109-RK)
  • iOmega DVR (34172)

#86 ·
Drive Added

Hi,

Thought I would share my experience.

I bought a Seagate ProAgent 750Gb and hooked it up the prescribed way. My Pace PVR recognised the the drive and formatted it. After rebooting my DVR service was unavailable.

So today I bought a Vantex Nexstar 3 enclosure and a Western Digital 750Gb SATA II 7200RMP drive.

Upon restarting my PVR the drive was formatted and then the PVR rebooted.

After it started up it asked me again to format the drive. I selected yes and the drive was reformatted once again.

The PVR restarted and this time it worked. When I was able to access my recordings it changed from 91% to 19%.

Thanks

Steve

#87 ·
External Drive bad then good

I have had my PACE TDC776D from Shaw since January 2009.
First I bought a 750G HardDrive and a Cooler Master X Craft 350 eSATA Enclosure. This enclosure has eSATA & USB, which is not recommended by PACE.
And it worked for about 3 weeks, then it crapped out, the DVR did not see it then insisted on reformatting it.
Also, it was loud.

So I got a Iomega 500GB eSATA DVR Expander Drive from Amazon.ca
This has been working fine for a week now. And it is nearly silent (hiding behind my TV stand). And it has a EnergyStar approved AC adapter which is nice because you have to leave the thing on all 24/7.

So all is good, for now. If it dies I will update.

Now a question, I have read/heard about TIVO hacks. Are there any for the PACE? Things like getting Internet TV (revision3.com etc) on to it?

Thanks

#88 · (Edited by Moderator)
PACE HD-DVR TDC 776D Lost External Drive - Lost Forever?!

I am using the PACE TDC 776D DVR from SHAW and have successfully connected and formatted an external eSATA drive (1TB drive in a COOLER MASTER eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure) and it's worked successfully over the past 4 weeks. I had about 100 hours of shows on it.

Last night my DVR froze up and I was forced to do a hard-reboot where I unplugged the DVR for a minute, re-started my external hard drive, then plugged in the DVR. The DVR restarted fine but then no longer recognized my external drive.

It continues to insist I reformat it.

I have not disconnected this external drive, so there is NO reason for the DVR to think it's a new drive. I've actually had to reboot the whole system a few times in the past and every single time the DVR recognizes the external drive.

Does anyone know of a way to reconnect this external drive without the DVR thinking it needs to be reformatted? I REALLY don't want to loose all the shows I've already recorded PLUS I don't want to have to reformat this drive every month simply because my PACE product sometimes get's confused.

Any or all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~ Robby

#90 ·
Thanks George, that's exactly what I usually do. I've discovered it simply won't reset this drive. So I've had to reformat the darn thing, losing all my recordings.

It worked well for another week then again lost the external drive.

I've called shaw and they won't recommend any brands of hard drive because they can't help you fix those drives it they cause problems with the DVR.

I now think it might be the drive, so I'll be ordering one of the PACE approved drives, to see if it makes a difference.

#91 ·
P.S. for those of you using an external drive - According to Shaw, and from my experience, do not plug the external hard drive power into the power outlet on the back of the PACE DVR. I'm unsure why this is the case, but I simply couldn't get things stable until I plugged the drive into a wall outlet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.