Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Very happy with DVR 530 HD

6K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Lester 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just wanted to pop in say I'm a brand new *choice customer. I just picked up a DVR530HD. I sold my rogers hd pvr, and moved to *C because I only want HD networks HDCBC & HD TSN. The basics package is perfect for me. I was concerned reading the negative comments on this receiver... most of these must be due to the previous software. I'm very happy with mine. I've had it under a week, but so far it seems every bit as stable as my rogers unit. The guide is nicer than rogers, and the 30 second skip is SWEET!! Be nice if they can tweak the guide software a little... coming out of the guide, the zoom is a little strange, and I wish the banner would go away faster... but working 100% here, and wayyy better value for me, ... $60+ month to get HD TSN on rogers. I was very pleased with *C service over the phone as well. Happy to be on board!
Regards, Rob

#5 ·
Hi Folks,
Thanks for the welcome

"We need more people to share their positive experiences with the 530 receiver."

- I agree, which is why I signed up. I know from frequenting recording tech boards, a lot of people only post when things go wrong... things all in all seemed quiet about the new software update. Usually indicates it's working for most people. When things DON'T work, these boards light up... as well they should. Anyway, I purchased from future, so I wrote this review on their site... they review it.... so it likely won't make it on the site, but I did give it, count 'em, ***** 5 stars ;)

I picked up a the new star choice hd pvr last week. Excellent unit. I did a lot of research before buying, and any reports of rebooting or locking up are based on the previous software. The new units are absolutely excellent. The receiver is solid, does NOT crash, the guide is nicer than r*gers, the 30 second skip feature is SWEET and the unit records, and surfs other channels exactly as expected. I'm only interested in high def programming. My need channels are the HD american networks, HDCBC and HDTSN. To get HD TSN on r*gers you need to spend over 60.00month... and their rates got up march 1. Good luck. Starchoice includes HD TSN in their basics package... which is going up as well... I think up 1.99, to a whopping total of 23.00 month tax in. Customer service was excellent, I happened to already have a SC dish at my new house... hooked it up, and they had me working in minutes, AND gave me 100 programming credit... Thanks for such a great service, Star Choice Very Happy, new star choice customer

#7 ·
Since a few new users here and you think the 30 seconds skip is sweet, then try the JUMP feature.
It's UNIQUE to the 530 as a fellow member here thought it up and I had my coders put it in.

It works this way:
A) Any 1 or 2 digit number followed by the JUMP FWD or REVERSE will cause the recording or Live off Disk (LOD) 90 minute buffer to position itself that number of MINUTES in the specified direction.

In my case when a commercial break comes up, I do a 3 jump and resume watching having INSTANTLY jumped over 3 minutes of commercials in 2 keystrokes rather than 6 30 seconds jumps.

B) While playing back, hit INFO and navigate to JUMP,
enter in the ABSOLUTE TIME you want to be and complete the transaction. Voila, Time Travel (r) to the precise spot. Great for check that you got the ending, start a show, and go to 00:55 to see the credits roll.
Great feature in a LONG movie or sports event.

BLOWS away my Moto cable box where even at the fastest speed, I can go make a cup of tea while it FFWD's.

BTW, the feature is known as the 99 JUMP feature and has both ABSOLUTE and RELATIVE modes.

#8 ·
Hi Arr,
...then try the JUMP feature.

In my case when a commercial break comes up, I do a 3 jump and resume watching having INSTANTLY jumped over 3 minutes of commercials in 2 keystrokes rather than 6 30 seconds jumps.
OMG, that's double sweet.... I stumbled across B)... (you guys are smart!), but I didn't know about the 3 jump. That will come in handy. That is totally brilliant, thank you for posting that, and thanks for including it in the code. I was surprised that the rogers box couldn't go to a preset time. It really was a clunky experience using the 8300hd. It's a pleasure to use this box on longgggg sporting events. I can't wait for the superbowl, and daytona! Thanks again for the well thought out features and the post!
Regards, Rob

#9 ·
I just wanted to say that I'm pleased with my DVR 530 as well. I had it since launch and it's been great. It ran smooth (resets here and there) till almost the end of last year then it died. I got a new one sent to me immediately and it's been terrific. It's a great machine and I can't wait to try the hard drive swap. I've been reading this forum for a long time and have seen all the bashing of the machine. I think if you like to complain and have zero patience and mash buttons...you won't like it.

#10 ·
First unit: Jan 2006 - June 2007 (worked for 18 months approx)

Second unit: June 2007 - Jan 2008 (worked fine for 7 months)

There is a problem somewhere with this machine. Life expectency for a 530 seems to be very short.

My last unit died suddenly, without any warning signs at all (i guess it had a stroke). My first unit died of a real slow death that lasted a month or so.

Now SC wants me to pay $100 for a replacement :mad:

I told SC that i refuse to pay $100 every six months for a 530... I will have to call back again later. This is not normal at all.

#15 ·
First unit: Jan 2006 - June 2007 (worked for 18 months approx)

Second unit: June 2007 - Jan 2008 (worked fine for 7 months)

Now SC wants me to pay $100 for a replacement :mad:
I have had about the same results. On my third unit now as my second replacement (both refurbished) arrived this week. CSR told me it would usually be a $199 replacement fee as my second unit lasted 14 months and was only under warranty for 12 but he would waive the fee as it was only 2 months over. I paid only $13.99 shipping each time and sent the dead units back in the pre-paid coffin.

#16 ·
I have received a new unit (no charge) to replace my second new DVR530 which died only after 7 months of service.

First TSR would not send me a replacement for free. Called a second time in the afternoon and second TSR made me very happy when she agreed to send me a new unit for free, not even shipping.

It was pre-loaded with E4.

Question: who has replace a 530 more than 3 times?

#18 ·
My dad is waiting for number 7 to be delivered this week. I think two of those were DOA when he received them. He hasn't paid a cent for any of the replacements otherwise he would have dropped *C long ago.
Personally I'm on my second and it appears pretty stable (knock on wood).
We both bought them when they first hit the market and mine gets used a lot more than his so I don't know what is causing a higher failure rate at his house.

#19 · (Edited)
Could it be this from the Shaw forum???

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79535

I killed myself laughing when I saw that pic.....:D

As an aside but to stay on topic, My 530 has been great with only the occaisional reboot every two or so months. Going on a year now with no real complaints. 530 gets used daily. Really only seem to have issues when rewinding / FF watching something while recording something else...something described many times before here so I really should know better...always get "that look" from the Mrs when I lock the thing up......

#23 ·
Some DSR530 questions

I just upgraded from an old basic StarChoice box to the DVR and have a few questions for users who are more familiar with this.
I went through the "DSR 530 discussion" thread [34 pages] and it was so painful and I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
The manuals that came with mine don't really give a lot of info ... maybe I'm missing a manual. I have very little info on running the PVR.

Maybe a good thread would be a "DSR530 Tips and Tricks".

Anyway, here goes:
1. The installer hooked up the box to the tv using the component cables, not the dvi-hdmi cable that was also in the box. Any reason for this? I would asume the latter should be a better connection, but maybe he knows something I don't.
2. When you are on your "Favorites", the guide only shows the channels I want, but when I use the channel up/down key, it still hit's the unwanted channels. Same for locked out channels. Is there a work-around?
I noticed if I hit the 'favorites' key, it goes up to the next favorite channel - is there another key that will go down to the next fav?

I had more questions, but forget them now. Oh well.
Thanks.

#24 ·
1. The picture quality is the same for component and DVI. My 530 only came with component cables but I switched to HDMI just because I could. There's no handshaking issues with component.

2. My favourites are the HD channels that I get and I always press GUIDE and go up or down to the channel I want. So I can't help you with your second question.

If you go to StarChoice land all the real manuals are here and the remote manuals are here. There are different versions of the 530 remote that are programmed differently so good luck.

#25 ·
I am into my fifth 530 and I really love what the receiver can do. What I do not like is waiting for replacement receivers when the 530 eventually fails. I have another high def received (without recording ability) standing by for when this latest one fails. The latest 530 is already freezing occasionally, rebooting itself, and some shows I have recorded freeze the system so I have to delete them and often when I jump forward over a commercial I lose sound. I really should not have had to buy a spare receiver for those occasions when the machine dies. One good thing is that I do not have to pay for the replacements. I live in hope that the forthcoming download will solve the problems I have lived with for years with this machine. None of the previous codes have solved the problems.
Lester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.