Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#112 ·
My DVR 530 HD has received the F0 version, been having trouble with it rebooting on its own, lots of broken recordings. Remote control won't control the unit, after a period of time even though picture plays normally. Have to unplug, to reset the machine, and then recordings disappear and then reappear on next reboot.

Been on the phone with customer service 3 times. We have factory reset the machine, erasing the recordings, and still rebooted on its own and had frozen recordings.

Tonight's troubleshooting call has my unit, unplugged from the power bar, and plugged directly into the wall plug. Test recording just finished, and it's been an hour and no reboots yet, will see if this makes a difference.

Thanks for all the great info on this forum.

#116 ·
Just an update, ever since the unit has been plugged into the wall outlet, there has been not one glitch. Recordings are fine, no spontaneous reboots, and no loss of control with the remote.

It's only been a day since bypassing the powerbar, but so far so good. :)

#113 ·
Question?

I was wondering if anyone knew if I hooked up a HD system at home on a oval dish will my reveivers at the cabin work on the round dish. I have them both on the same account. Starchoice said they had to change a Vcode to run my HD system at home, I'm just wondering if that will effect my system at the cabin?

Thanks and Have a great day.

#117 ·
Question

I have a DSR505 and I got everything working finally, I was just wondering if it is normal on the high def channels sometimes to be in full wide screen and other channels are just regular screen with blank on the sides. I tried the 720p and the 1080i and it does the same thing. My regular channels work fine the receiver swithches to 480p; but some high def aren't full screen and ideas?

#119 ·
Just got off the phone with *C again. The "new" 530 they sent me is already starting to act up. Tonight I setup to record a show. A soon as I hit the record button and then switched to another channel it froze. It would keep displaying the signal of the new channel but would respond to the remote. It also wasn't recording the other show.

I rebooted it and then it started to record the show, but as usual I missed some of the recording. Gave them a call and as usual a "short" 45 minute wait. There solution "There must be something wrong with your dish, we'll have to send a tech out to check your LNB to make sure it's functioning properly" So they're sending someone out this saturday.

Okay, why do my 5 other receivers function properly?

This is getting so frustrating. I'm getting to the point of asking for another 505 and giving up on PVR and going back to the old reliable VCR. But to quote an earlier post "it has moving parts so it will eventually break" I guess my VCR that I have from the early 80s should stop working soon :rolleyes:

#122 ·
Ok. It sounds like you *may* have a HDD problem. To test this check the diag screen.

Options -> 6 -> 4 -> 977 -> 1
Then using the right arrow button, scroll to "Diagnostics R". If you can get to that screen and your system doesn't crash, that's a good sign. Once there, check two things. Third lind down, right hand side of Diag R there should be a number then G Free (xxx.x G FREE) then on the left hand side, like 2nd line down, there should be a number then a G after it (xxx G). If each of these are populating a number other then 0 then your HDD should be fine and a factory reset will probably solve any problems you are having.

Hope this helps.

-Anon *C TSR

#123 ·
Now that was an interesting post... I've been having major trouble with reboots since the F0 update (almost problem free in comparison before) so many lately that my wife wants me to get rid of this thing and give up tv completely. With F1 starting this weekend I'm not open to this option. I did what you said about getting to the diagnostic screens and I had to pause at Diagnostic D. 168 reboots and I'd bet over 120 of those are since F0. My Diagnostic R screen shows numbers in the columns you noted so maybe a factory reset is in order...

#124 ·
Call *C tech support. Inform them of the number of reboots. Have them do a factory reset and see if the problem continues. If it does, a replacement may be in order.

They will likely take you through all the troubleshooting from scratch, be patient. Oh so often we get people who call in, they think they know everything thing there is to know and won't troubleshoot with us. This is extremely frustrating, and while you may know what you need to do next, the TSR needs to be allowed to do his/her job.

#125 ·
DSR 530 Crashes and dies

My DSR530 started acting up about 2 weeks ago. Crashing at regular intervals. Sometimes just while watching TV, sometimes as a result of FF, or Rewind buttons. No real explanation for it.

Called *C several times and finally got the system working again after a factory reset. I thought great ... it's working.

Ah sigh, now it's gone and died completely. It's not even showing any lights on the front when it powers up. I can hear the drive running but no lights at all. I'm not sure how to do any type of reset to get this to at least come up.

Does anyone now if the *C TSR can send it a factory reset when it obviously isn't getting very far in its boot up sequence when it powers on?

I figured there might be some "secret instructions" somewhere for pushing buttons/powering up to cause a reset, but so far no luck in my search on the web.

Without any display on either the unit or the TV, it's really hard to tell what's going on.

How many people have been experiencing crashes with their DSR530's lately ?? Is it common?

p.s. also .. I've got HD so is that part of the problem?

#127 ·
I just got off the phone with what has to be the two most helpful tech support people I've ever dealt with. As soon as I described the problem to the first person he immediately said we have to do a factory reset but it's a commom problem with older versions of this reciever and the new code. He said if the problem persists that a "new" (as in not refurbished) replacement is in order. We did the factory reset he told me he had made notes on my profile and that if the problem comes back to call immediately and whomever was helping me would not bother with any troubleshooting and that a new receiver would be sent. Within minutes of hanging up the 530 started rebooting every 10 minutes or so. I called back and the next CSR read the notes and told me (after being on hold a few minutes) that a new receiver was being sent immediately and that I should have it in 5 to 10 days via purolator.
This is excellent service... btw, no wait time for them to answer. Both CSR's answered by the second ring. I can't be happier... so far. If the new 530 doesn't have the reboot issue I'll be singing starchoice's praises to all my friends. I have to say the biggest reason for my switch to starchoice was positive customer service and I'm not disappointed in that regard.

#130 ·
I have numbers populated in each line.

Tonight I can't set it to record at all. My guide never comes up with data when I turn it on. Even if I reboot it, it will not reload the guide.

This is getting to the point of past frustrating all I can do is laugh about it now. I'd call in but I really don't have the time to wait 45-50 minuted to get through (which is a sign that if your call centre is always that busy, you either A - don't know how to staff properly or B - have major issues with your equipment all the time) Then I'd have to spend another 20 - 30 minutes with a tech that will do all the stuff a tech the night beofre did, only to end up with a factory reboot and then it goes back toe same state again within a couple hours.
Well, what can I say, in order to have a replacement processed (if needed) some troubleshooting needs to be done. 90% of the time there are notes on the account from previous calls. If you just let the tech know you have called in about the issue in the past he will know to read the notes and start where the last guy left off.

The past 4 weeks or so have been pretty dead at *C, 10 - 15 mins between calls. You shouldn't have to wait..

Also, there are numerous issues that cause hold times at *C.

- Bad weather causing an outage to an entire area.
- Technical problems with a channel on *C side.
- Guide problems on *C's side.
- Sun Transit
- Ads (Yes, networks telling people to call to request a channel)

I could probably go on, but with the type of service *C delivers, and the amount of things that can go wrong, I'm amazed they do as well as they do.

#131 ·
- Ads (Yes, networks telling people to call to request a channel)
They can avoid this problem by adding the channels, particularly those which have been approved for Canadian carriage and have been around for a long time and carried by every major cable/satellite provider.

See this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77525

This demand/no demand argument makes no sense. There was demand for Cosmo TV? C'mon, it's a Corus channel and that's why it was added.

#132 ·
Hey, NXX, can you tell me why my SD picture seems to be cut off on my 530 on my SD TV?

I was watching Survivor yesterday and one of thos Global banners appeared and despite it being on the left side of the screen, a big chunk of it was cut out because I couldn't read it. I've tried all the different settings.

Also, why do I no longer have the ability to get a full picture on HD channels? The irritating one is the small picture in the middle of the screen with black all around? It looks like I'm watching TV on a 13 in. set. Here again, I've tried all the different settings to no avail.

This all came about with the last software download prior to F0.

#133 ·
Humm. Well, a few settings come to mind.

1st. Options - 6 - 4 - 5. The TV Type should be 4X3, Override should be off. (Altho you can try a 4X3 override, it likely isn`t needed.)

2nd. On the right hand side of the receiver, there is a Star Choice emblem, this is a hidden panel, open it. There is a red button behind it, press the button, don`t hold it in, and keep pressing it until the clock display on the receiver reads 0000.

See if this helps, it should. You can play around with that red button, use the setting that works for you, altho on an SD TV 480I or 480P should work as well.

-Anon *C TSR

#135 ·
One quick question as a follow up to my rebooting receiver saga... why is it that when many of us experiencing this multiple reboot issue phone and get walked through the factory reset the receiver dies quickly there-after?
My 530 was rebooting about every half hour after the factory reset was performed so I shut it off using the front panel button while we were eating supper. After supper I tried turning the 530 back on and all I get is the four bar LEDs all lit constantly, no clock, no green sat light and no picture... this thing is dead. Now I'm waiting for the new one to come and that can't happen fast enough... we are a one receiver family so no F1 for me this weekend.... OH NO!!!!

#136 ·
Well, a factory reset is the last ditch effort to bring a receiver back to life. It is hard on the receivers, if ANYTHING has gone wrong inside them a F/R usually either fixes the error, or isn't able to overcome it. In layman's terms, it either fixes it or breaks it for good. This is why some receivers may only work for a few hours after a F/R or not at all. This is actually a good thing for the customers, at least the F/R will force the receiver to fail so it can be replaced instead of just continuing with whatever annoying problem that started the whole process.

Also, I'm sorry you are missing F1 this weekend. When I saw you mention it above I remember thinking to myself "I hope that F/R doesn't fry his receiver so he can watch the race..." Oh well. Maybe try holding the power button in on the receiver for 10 - 30 seconds to see if it may come back to life long enough for you to watch the race (That is if the rep didn't suspend your account as you have no service. They pretty much turn off the programming)

-Anon *C TSR

#137 ·
Thanks for the info and I did manage to catch to f1 race in a hotel room (I work on the road) but the quality of the image wasn't up to what I'm used to with TSN HD on *choice. Oh well, my wife is at home trying not to complain about no tv after her comments when the 530 was acting up.... I'm not sure what they did about my subscription package but the did give me one month free trial of the A&E/HDNET/DiscHD package for my trouble. He said it'll be authorized by the time my new receiver shows up.

#139 ·
3rd 530 - Still having issues!

About a month ago my 530 started to shut down. It would reset itself all the time, shut down during play-back and eventually it wouldn't re-boot at all. At first a “second” factory reset seemed to do the trick – but that was short lived. About 2 weeks later while watching AI we would get through one contestant singing and before the judges had chance to give their feedback it would automatically start to re-boot.

During my last 2 calls to SC they tried the old “surge protector” issue – I soon squashed that when I told them I had purchased a $200.00 MC protector at their recommendation. They agreed in principal to provide me with a “brand new” receiver at no cost to me – Thank you SC. So now I’m on my 3rd 530 and I’ve had this replacement for about 10 days. Arrived with E4 – already updated to F0.

I have a timer set for 6:00 am every morning, which at first appeared to tape with no problem. After the F0 update the recording taped but the description is just of the channel and the time of the taping – not the name of the show. Also every morning since the F0 update – I have to use my PIN for every channel and the guide reads “NO DATA”. The machine is usually shut off around 1:00 to 1:30 am. The fact that this is my 3rd 530 – I’m not pleased at all.

Any suggestions / comments?

#140 ·
The PQ on TSNHD had to be better than the grainy picture I was getting out of a 21 inch citizen tv that's had the cable split waaayyyy too many times before it got to my room. Let's just say that the company I work for doesn't really splurge on our accomodations on the road.

#141 ·
Quick follow up to my replacement... it arrived today but it most definately is refurbished. There is a small scuff mark on the clock/channel display and a couple of other marks on the front of the unit. After re-authorizing the receiver I asked about why I wasn't sent a new unit that the first csr that I talked with had promised. I was transferred to a "level 2" technician who informed me that policy has recently changed and that I was "lucky" to get the refurbished unit I did at no cost. Now, if a unit fails that is out of warranty (1 year) then the replacement unit will be refurbished and it'll cost me $199. If I insist on a new unit it will cost $699. I explained that I had been very happy with the equipment until the F0 update was streamed into my receiver and that if this receiver they had sent starts to reboot and is unusable and *choice insists that I pay for a replacement they will lose a customer her reply was "Let's cross that bridge if we come to it.".
I'd love to know if anyone else has come up against this...

#142 ·
Hi NXX,
My 530 stopped recording and no longer would pause/rewind live TV a few days ago. Menu and record indications are normal (timer settings, record red light and scrolling blue bars when recording), yet the DVR List is empty. I followed your instructions on trying to get to the "Diagnostics R" menu. I couldn't get past E1. Then, I removed power and antenna connections for several hours. After reconnecting, the receiver came back up, but still no record/playback. Now, however, I was able to access the "Diagnostics R" menu, and 0.0 G Free and 134 G readings came up. So hopefully, the HDD is not fried. I'll try getting a Factory Reset and let you know how I made out.

#143 ·
One of my 505s did something weird today. While watching TV the screen blacked out for a few seconds and after that the channels were wrong. All channel numbers were off by 9 so 288 was DiscoveryHD, 287 was A&E HD and so on. When I switched to an SD channel the box locked up and I had to do a reset. Never seen that one before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.