Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#85 ·
Here we go again . . .

We were away from Wed-Sun this past week and upon return home our 530 was dead. No amount of power cycling via front panel or via power cord unplug/plug in concert with power button and coax would bring it back.

Some fiddling later with the CSR on the phone doing something on their end and it was alive again. A few hours after that we are getting random reboots while watching live tv or recordings (recent, or weeks or months old).

Firmware F0 here. Not sure when that came down. I thought it was in January? Did they sneak something else into the system recently that could be causing this, or maybe the system has been rebooting mid day or wee hours without us knowing, gradually scrambling the hdd?

This is the second 530 we've had. First one was replaced a year ago in June I think.

Grrrrr.

#91 ·
My 530 has been acting "crazy" for lack of a better word for the last week. It turns off on it's own and any time we try to record we end up with broken recordings. Called tonight and they tried the "usual" stuff with no luck. It is still randomly rebooting and did it again the minute i got off the phone with the rep.

Called back and they told me I need a replacement receiver. "That will be $199.99 as you are out of warranty."

My response "Where do I send everything back to cancel my 5 other HD receivers? Why would I pay for a replacement when you cannot design a product that will last more than a couple months? Do you tell your customers this before they buy it? I'm now going onto my 8th 530."

Response "Okay sir, I will process a replacement for free."

I'm wondering how many have been "suckered" into paying for a replacement?

#92 ·
I don't want to start a flame war here, but what would you expect if your PC crapped out after 3 years? A free replacement?

I mean come on, this stuff doesn't last forever. I think *C is doing people a favor giving out a limited warranty on DSR530's for a replacement fee of $199.00.

Granted in some cases, like multiple receivers going bad (Which makes me think, what is going wrong AT YOUR PLACE that is causing them to go bad?) a free replacement is in order. However, they have a 1yr warranty on it in the first place.

Frankly, if I worked at *C and someone started demanding stuff from me, there would be no way in hell they would get it.

"Please hold for the saves department" *click*

#93 ·
NXX I would tend to agree with you,but by *c actions to the problem with the 530,they definetly do acknowledge that their are some major problems with these receivers.When with a little bit of an arguement from the customer they seem to give in very easily sometimes,so therefore they realize the problems.

#94 ·
I have to agree, these receivers are not computers. If there is an issue they can repair these boxes and send them back out. Then need to provide a stable platform or do what they are doing, replace for free. When you see American providers giving away DVR's for free, they should be amazed people will pay the huge cost for these in the first place.

#95 ·
The bottom line is that these receivers have been flakey since day 1 and even after numerous firmware updates they are still problematic.
I'm sure their standard response is to offer a replcement for $199 but it appears that with minimal effort they are willing to waive that fee as well as the shipping fee.
It's frustrating to have an expensive piece of hardware not function correctly but I have to give kudos to Star Choice for offering free replacements well out of warranty.

#96 ·
they definetly do acknowledge that their are some major problems with these receivers.When with a little bit of an arguement from the customer they seem to give in very easily sometimes,so therefore they realize the problems.
Well yeah there are problems, the 530 has a hard drive, which means moving parts. Things with moving parts will always break down before the rcvrs without. I mean, imagine the HDD spinning at 7200 rpm and having some kid running around bump into the rcvr. Poof, that's the end of the hard drive.

The TSRs give out free 530's out of warranty because they would rather do that then argue with someone over it. The TSRs spend all day dealing with stupid problems and usually just don't have the patience to argue about a replacement.

I have to agree, these receivers are not computers. If there is an issue they can repair these boxes and send them back out.
I don't know why you wouldn't look at a receiver like a computer, I mean... they are. This is especially true for the DSR530. Hell, I'm willing to bet that with a little work you could get Linux working on the 530... Altho, only with dial-up internet...

The replacement fee on the 530 is mostly because 90% of the time, the HDD has failed. Maxtor doesn't warranty them anymore, therefore for the *C repair center to replace it, they have to purchase a new one. This is just passed down the line to the consumer.

It's frustrating to have an expensive piece of hardware not function correctly but I have to give kudos to Star Choice for offering free replacements well out of warranty.
Exactly, *C does it out of kindness, this is why it irks me when people demand free replacements out of warranty.

#101 ·
NXX why are you spreading misinformation? If you have an opinion that's fine, but please don't present your personal opinion as actual facts.

I mean, imagine the HDD spinning at 7200 rpm and having some kid running around bump into the rcvr. Poof, that's the end of the hard drive.
The original hardrive in my latest DVR530 was a Seagate ST3160212ACE. According to Seagate's specifications the maximum operational shock of this drive is 63Gs (non-operational is 350 Gs). That's actually quite typical of a modern harddrive. Delivering a 63G shock to a drive mounted in a metal enclosure such as the DVR530 would require one heck of a wallop since the metal case will flex, compress, warp, dent etc. to absorb much of the shock before it gets to the internal components. I'm not saying that you can handle a drive as rough as you like with impunity to your data, but the point is that your statement isn't based in any kind of factual information.

The replacement fee on the 530 is mostly because 90% of the time, the HDD has failed. Maxtor doesn't warranty them anymore, therefore for the *C repair center to replace it, they have to purchase a new one. This is just passed down the line to the consumer.
I don't believe the DVR530s ever shipped with a Maxtor harddrive, they are all Seagate models.

Please don't make some claim that 90% of the time the HDD has failed. You don't know this 90% figure to be accurate. If you suspect that that's the case then please say so explicitly rather than coming up with some statistic out of your head and presenting it as factual information. Better yet, anytime you do present something as factual please let us know where you got the information.

#98 ·
Also, the end user has a lot to say as to what software gets loaded onto their PCs, including viruses and the like.

SC has full control as to what software gets loaded onto the receiver. Most of the issues seem to have been software related. There is nothing the customer could have done to prevent the problems. SC should be replacing these units as they have been doing.

#99 ·
Seems simple to me.

• Hard drive fails, power supply goes - my problem when it is off warranty.
  • Starchoice sends an update like F0 "to improve reliability" or enhance the functionality that causes problems then they broke it and they should replace it.
  • If there is an enharent design problem with the product then if they want to stay in business, and avoid a class action lawsuit, they should fix it.
  • If they want to retain their base and grow their business, they should enhance the product functionality

#100 ·
The comparison to TV is not Computers, its cell phones. Cell companies will give away millions in phone hardware to get customers on their rate plans because they make the money on the rate plans. Computer companies make their money selling hardware, not monthly service.

Star Choice already looses money on the hardware, but they make it back on the monthly plans, so no they don't need to make money on the hardware they just don't want to loose too much so that they can turn a profit within the first year preferably. So if you threaten to cancel your account what happens... new receiver will be there in a couple days :)

#103 ·
Guide issues?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I am constantly losing my guide. It usually is not there in the early am. Later, it may appear, but I will only get Monday, Tuesday and not Wednesday. Sometimes, I will get Tuesday and Wednesday, but not Monday. Etc, etc, etc. Rebooting does not seem to force a new download. Today I have been without my guide for about two hours.

Is this a *C issue? Or a DVR issue?

Thanks

#108 ·
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I am constantly losing my guide. It usually is not there in the early am. Later, it may appear, but I will only get Monday, Tuesday and not Wednesday. Sometimes, I will get Tuesday and Wednesday, but not Monday. Etc, etc, etc. Rebooting does not seem to force a new download. Today I have been without my guide for about two hours.

Is this a *C issue? Or a DVR issue?

Thanks
I had the No Data issue regularly when my receiver was upgraded to F0. I spoke to customer service and they stepped me through a factory reset (I opted to keep the shows I had recorded). I haven't had any problems since.

#104 ·
NO DATA

Since F0 I have had a number of reboots and lockups. E4 was very stable with my 530.

Now we are starting have NO DATA guide and can not force it to download with resets today have been with out a guide for 2h30m. On hold with tech support to see whats up.

#110 ·
I have added a 2nd 530 and now since Friday? Sunday? I am having grief with any recordings. Lockups, unplayable. The 2nd 530 just went to F0 from E4 but the recording/playback is with the original which was trouble-free for months. Should a guy go through a factory reset on both?:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.