Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#56 ·
My 3 DRS530s had been working working flawlessly since they all got replaced after the latest software upgrade (E4).

I noticed a problem a few days ago. After I finished watching a recording, I delete it and watch the next recording. The new bug, is that when I select play and it goes back to live programming. I have to swith the receiver off to be able to start playing recordings again.

I checked the software version after I started to have this problem, and that is when I noticed it had changed to F0.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

#57 ·
Crash scrolling guide

We have noticed a number of reboots on our 503 when we were simply scrolling through the guide using the down or up arrow - not page at a time. The screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and then it reboots. We did not have this problem prior to F0 and in fact, it was reasonably stable. We can recreate this problem at will. Anyone else willing to give it it try? Just bring up the guide and start scrolling down rapidly.

#59 ·
aspec ratio

much better option now with fo i now set the 505 to STR in the aspec ratio and my panny is set to full and i no longer see black bars on the side on hd ch.if the program or comercial is sd and the picture looks ok not distorted...and you can use the panny pz 700 remote to adjust the aspec of the 505 sat reciever once you program it to operate the 505 works great all is well again and no more ch 200

#60 ·
Crashing and DVR since F0

Ever since the F0 upgrade I've had random crashing, often but not only while watching a recorded program. My unit either reboots itself or I have to force a reboot (hold power button for the appropriate time.) Then, more often than not when I check my DVR List I get a display which says something like DVR List is empty.

I have roughly a dozen recorded programs and have had to reboot anywhere between one and many (sometimes more than 10) times before I finally see my recorded programs list (I don't try rebooting once I see my recorded programs again - until the next crash!) The latest time this happened no matter how many reboots I would try I could not get my recorded list back. This morning I tried unplugging the unit for five minutes before powering up again. Still no luck. Then I tried the same for thirty minutes and finally, success!

While I hope no one else is experiencing the same thing, I find it hard to believe that this has nothing to do with the F0 upgrade. This appears to be getting worse and worse for me. I haven't had problems since having to swap out a receiver some time back.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar? Has anyone heard about an update for F0? For the added features that F0 provided, I would much rather have my receiver in the state it was before the upgrade.

Thanks.
(from a first time poster.)

#63 ·
Constant Reboots also

Since F0 update, constant reboots at anytime. Tried recording RickMercer/22M tonight got Rick OK recorded 28 minutes strait then, reboots almost every 3 minutes for next half hour then did 9 minutes before I turned it recorder off.

This was after spending 45 min. unplugging, plugging, and then master resetting wiping hard drive this AM.

Diagnostic screen shows 27 reboots since this AM.

This started at same time F0 code came down, E4 worked that fixed lockups I was getting on previous code, its like going from total lockup to a self repairing lockup. Not handy for watching TV

#66 ·
I'm having the same problem with the no DVR list. I have tried everything to get it back again, repeatedly rebooting and then repeatedly power cord unplugged for 1 minute each time. Still no list. The problems i was having with the old except for the multi switch, with the new FO I am FED UP!!!

Dionne

#67 ·
empty DVR List

Try unplugging the power AND the input Coax cables from the back. I had the same problem on day one with F0, and since I unplugged everything and replugged the coax and then the power everything has been good.

Just another thing to try....

;)

#68 ·
Spoke to *c CS and they said that some of the PVR's are just not accepting the F0 Download so they are shipping out new units to anyone who is having problems. Mine is on the way and will be here in 7-10 days, yuck live tv for a week. I will try what you suggested once the kids are out of my hair for the night and see if that fixes it, I sure hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, I have had FO for 2 plus weeks now, so it isn't like I just got the download last night or anything, my problems with FO just happened to start today and it just went nuts, powering off and on by itself, I unplugged it a couple hours ago so I'll plug it back in and see if its ok now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Dionne

#69 ·
no go with hooking it all back up again. It crashed as soon as I turned it on, then froze up when it came back up, then rebooted itself again. So its toast!

I do hate live tv though, LOL, I am sooo spoiled having the luxury of a PVR for the past several years, its hard to go back, LOL.

#71 ·
Just going by memory here but I think after getting to the system setup page you press 977 and select diagnostics. Its on one of the diagnostic pages which you can access with the left and right arrows. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong since whenever I do it I don't really think about which buttons I'm pressing.

#72 ·
Diag Screens

Diag Screens are at Options 6-4-9-7-7-1 (press # and screens pop up)
arrow across to D and you see reboots. R has temp of hard drive

I've had 55 reboots since monday, thats after disconnecting all cables etc and doing factory reset. I'll have to work on getting a replacement unit.

There does seem to be a relationship to accessing Guide or DVR generating a reboot but most the time its just reboots at any time.

#74 ·
Lil' help?

Hey all....

I'm a returning Star Choice customer. Back in the day I had their DSR317 model. Anyways, I got rid of the satellite receivers and switched to Rogers.

Long story short, I ended up coming back to Star Choice and had to replace my receivers. This time around I ended up buying 2 DSR207 receivers and 1 DVR530HD.

One day after installation, my DVR530HD craps out on me. To be more precise, the unit won't turn on. It's not a power issue, because the blue lights on the front continually re-cycle (top to bottom). I spent like a half an hour on the phone with the tech. He tells me to unplug the unit...plug the unit back in. Then he tells me to unplug it again & replug it holding the power button in for like a minute. We went back and forth like this for a while. Finally he says he's going to ship me out a "new" unit.

What's funny is that he worded it like this ; Don't worry I'll ship you out a new unit.

I'm thinking to myself "Of course you're going to ship me a new unit; I paid for a new unit and it dies after 1 day?!" but of course, being the calm cool collected individual that I am, I thanked him. :eek:

Is the DVR530HD model one that is known for these issues? The two basic DSR207 units work great!:p

Any thoughts?

#76 ·
Thanks!

I read the posts (good materials).

Well I received my replacement satellite receiver earlier today. I hooked it up about an hour ago and it's downloading some stuff (I guess) because I was told to leave it on for like an hour. :confused:

I just hope these downloads don't freeze it up. For all I know that's what could've screwed up my first receiver.

Oh well; time will tell. :rolleyes:

#77 ·
DVR Reboots and guide data loss

Since the upgrade to this latest F0 version I've had lots of reboots taking place. The other thing is the TV Guide disappears. I get a full screen of NO DATA constantly since the firmware upgrade. I'm wondering if this was tested. Anyone else experiencing this?

#78 ·
Since the upgrade to this latest F0 version I've had lots of reboots taking place. The other thing is the TV Guide disappears. I get a full screen of NO DATA constantly since the firmware upgrade. I'm wondering if this was tested. Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes, mine 530 as well. No issues at all before the F0 update, but now daily No Data issues and weird reboots of the system.

#79 ·
This is my second attempt at F0 and all looks good for now. Got the replacement DVR yesterday, hooked it up and it was E0 just checked today and it did update to F0. This unit seems ok, but we are only a day into it.

edited to add, my previous DVR was rebooting constantly, no data in the guide then it came up with the no DVR list, then the rebooting got worse and it would not stay on, so *c replaced the unit.

Dionne

#81 ·
PIN number

No response yet.
I read through this entire thread and didn't see any complaints about the F0 version asking for your PIN number when you try to access the DVR list. I'm positive that the earlier software version didn't ask. Can anyone confirm this?
Now to the problem at hand - I don't remember my PIN number, so I can't access my recordings.
Is there an override so you can either change your PIN or somehow prevent it from coming up on a DVR list request?
Any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.