Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#32 ·
When I went to bed lastnight at around 1:30am I checked to see if I was targeted but it still read 00.00. Woke up around 6am and noticed the blue bars were lit up... I turned it on and it had updated to F0 without it being targeted the day before. I find the channels change abit faster and the 200 fix is nice too.

#33 ·
My 530 froze a couple more times last eveing since the update. I also notice that when one is in the guide and you punch in a number that is not part of your Favourites it will not change, Prior to the update it would go to the nearest number that you punched in.
Lester

#34 ·
Well, like GaryE, my 530 'upgraded' to F0 without a target notification. I even happened to leave my unit on all night last night. Oh well.

Other than the channel not dropping to 200, the only other thing I have noticed is a slightly smoother skip fwd/back. SD seems smoother than HD but both seem better than before.

I've basically had no problems with my unit prior, so I doubt my family will notice anything.

I was also intrigued that someone noticed better/quicker response to skips and general performance with a new faster hard drive. I may just pursue this.

#35 ·
Can I go back??

Since F0 arrived... my 530 is resetting very frequently - I left it off last night, (after diving into the diagnostics to see the reboot count).. and this afternoon I checked again, and it had rebooted 9 times! (or perhaps more - I'm not sure if the reboot count is displayed in decimal or hex - if it's not decimal, then the real count is 15) - and again when I exited from the diagnostics screen... and again after watching about 5 minutes of HD.. and again while viewing a recorded program...

Before the update, I can't remember when the last reset was - I had gotten a replacement unit (the previous unit had decayed to a stone-dead paperweight)

help??

#41 ·
My 530 is still downloading every night but never getting F0.

I called *C again, the CSR agreed there must be a flaw somewhere and did a factory reset. He said my DVR should dl the update that night.

I got up in the morning and it was dling, but again it didn't get F0.
Ditto for the following three nights.

Anyone else having problems getting the dl?

Call and factory reset again?

Aargh!

#43 ·
My caller ID function has not been working since I received the F0. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions on how to reactivate? My phones caller ID still works and I checked to make sure it is checked in setup and that the cord is plugged in.

#47 ·
HD recordings 'squashed'?

I have noticed that since the F0 update there is a slight annoyance in my recorded viewing.

Whenever I playback an HD show the picture is squashed. By this I mean there are black bars top and bottom of the screen.

All my video and tv settings are optimized and there is no issue while viewing live tv.

The Fix: A 'pause' or 'skip' resets the picture! With no pause or skip the picture remains horizontally distorted, but with a pause and/or jump, the black bars disappear!

Also: a niggling issue- the PIP on the guide/menu is not a full picture when watching a HD channel- you just get the top left corner I think. This is not consistent either.

#49 ·
Ouser - I have noticed similar things as well - but it was also with E4, not just recently. I noticed on live tv as well. I haven't nailed down the exact sequence of when it occurs, but maybe next time I will try and remember to document the steps.

Your 'fixes' do work. I also just bring up the guide again and then remove it - back to normal. For now I can live with it, machine is working well.

#50 ·
0f Code

I have both a DSR 505 and DSR 530 receiver that received the new 0F code today. Both receivers were set up to send an 1080i signal to both LCD and plasma sets with RGB component cables. Since receiving the 0F update, I get pink and green lines with flashes of colour when changing from a Hidef channel to a SD channnel and the same for going back to each channel. As well it took three times as long to obtain the new channnel picture as it did under the old code of 0E.

I have reset the signal output from 1080 to 0000, then back to 1080 and finally back to 0000 on the front panel. The pink and green lines have disappeared as well as the time lag in changing channels. The receiver seems to need two changes of the signal output to save the changes. No help from Star Choice as their phone message said it would be over 60 minutes to talk to a customer rep and no call back feature which was one of their strengths - nice service with the price increases!

#51 ·
No help from Star Choice as their phone message said it would be over 60 minutes to talk to a customer rep and no call back feature which was one of their strengths - nice service with the price increases!
Hint: call before 6pm EST. As per CRTC, a company cannot call back after 8pm EST; hence, *C stops offering the call back service at 6pm in order to be sure everyone is going to be called before 8pm EST.

#52 ·
Can't pause when caller display on

I have a strange issue. Whenever someone calls me and the caller display pops up on the screen, I am unable to pause live tv. If I wait until the call display disappears, then I can pause fine, but it is very annoying to have to mute the tv, then pause later, then rewind. Does anyone else have this issue? I got a newer unit with the new remote, my old one never did this.

#53 ·
call id and pause

Hoo yeah! Im glad someone else noticed and is bugged by that!

When the phone rings you want to press pause, but you have to wait until the pop up disappears!

Nuts eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.