Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DVR 530 HD and 505 - F0 Update Discussion

39K views 163 replies 79 participants last post by  dennism3 
#1 ·
Just got off the phone with *C to activate a replacement 530. The tsr said that 'F0' should be the new target code tonight or later this week.

I asked what it should fix, she said a) the reboot issue and b) the guide going to 200 all the time.

This is just the tip she said. I asked when the 'searchable guide' was coming, she said she wasn't sure it was! ?

New thread time for F0 owners?

Any body have the target version yet?

#2 · (Edited)
One of my three 505's got the FO download, not sure when but the receiver locked up while the wife was watching it this afternoon.
Any word as to what it's for? I can't pick out any difference in performance.

I tested the "200" problem and I couldn't make the receiver default to 200, so I guess that is one improvement

#11 ·
After a few days of usage, I'd be interested in reports on crashes/reboots frequency.

No F0 yet and if it weren't for the other HD PVR's here, I'd be real upset with the 530 of late.

A stability release prior to a feature release in Q2 would be perfect.

#12 ·
OK, I did some digging around, and F0 should be thought of as E0 1.1
Its primary 2 fixes are to remove the colour banding introduced in the last round of code, so in theory we can all go back to NATIVE mode again and to remove the default to CH. 200 if you punch in 2 or 4 digits.

Not much really, but I'm sure for some, it relieves a couple of annoyances.
Anything else is a bonus.

#13 ·
Chalk one up for adding an annoyance -

When I used to be in the guide, I could punch up, let's say for example 555 if I wanted to scroll these channels. The guide would bring me to that series even though there might not be such a channel. Now if you try the same thing, the guide doesn't move until you actually puch in a number that corresponds to a channrl in the guide. Who thinks up these annoyances? If it ain't broke, don't fix.

#15 ·
I know what you mean starchoice....I have 600 blocked out of my guide, but whenever I use to punch it in, it would take me to 610, my next channel that I have in my guide. Now it doesn't move, I actually have to punch 610 to get there. Why in the hell did they do this. Now you have to know the exact channel number, cause if you punch one that's blocked out, it does nothing.

#14 ·
Starchoice, I know what you mean.
I'd suspect that team "A", who does firmware revision "X" and solves all of the issues that their mandate requires them to usually ends up getting fired (typical as per how Shaw seems to deal with staff once they have done a decent job, rather than recognize them for good work and offer some sort of bonus) So that when Team "B" comes along to do revision "Y", none of the snags that were present in the version prior to revision X are even remembered or noted get taken into account.
1 step forward, 2 back, huh?

#16 ·
it's all because people complained about the channel 200 issue. Before if you wanted 302, but the receiver accidentally missed the '0', it thought you wanted 32, which is not valid, so it directed you to the next valid channel, 200.

That is what was happening for you other guys, Type in 600, not valid, go to the next valid channel (610).

With the update now, it doesn't go to 200, it just stays put. It also doesn't do to 610 when you type in 600, it just sits where you were.

Just guessing here, I have not received the update yet.

I can only imagine the lunchroom conversations at the SC programming floor.

I suppose you could have done the following programming:
- 2 digit channels, do nothing, as some digit was missed - assuming we never get channels below 100, but i suppose 019 is a 3 digit channel.
- 3 digit channels, jump to channel or next valid channel.

#18 ·
Is it OK to comment on the recent 505 update here as well?

its a small thing and I guess it was done to fix the channel 200 problem but one thing I have noticed is that I can't cheat to get to the start of my guide as programmed in Favourites. I have my avourites starts at 275 since I watch nothing lower than that. when I wanted to start there in the guide and go up I'd punch in 222 since its just easy rather than hunting for the 275 keys. The guide would automaticaly just go to the first channel in favourites which was in my case 275 and Id start hunt the guide from there. looking at the HD stuff first.

now when I punch 222 nothing happens. it just ignores it since its not in my favourites. :eek:

#19 ·
Starchoice, the problem isn't "someone's inability to punch in the correct number". I have found with both a 530 and a 505 that the receiver is overly sensitive to the remote and often repeats numbers, which results in an invalid channel (and then was defaulted to 200). I say that, even though I know you can't have a "heavy hand" on the keys. This change is a welcome improvement for me!

I still think the Starchoice/Motorola remote is the culprit, and have used Harmony remotes to reduce the problem. Still working on it though --- my new 890 can't yet solve the problem.

#21 ·
NEVER have a problem because I don't operate the box.
Virtually everything I watch is an autotune or a DVR timer.
Then I just operate the 3 skip and delete when done.

Of course a NBR searchable guide would help as well.

I couldn't help but chuckle on the mention of the *c programming floor.
If you guys only knew.
A couple of young guys down the street in 2 cubicles with probably no real direction, just whatever 2 years worth of work I layed out that they are still crunching out.

To be fair though, these are VERY talented, but it's hard to please all the people all the time.

#22 ·
So, every morning for a week my DVR 530 has been doing the download thing (various numbers on the screen) and every evening it has failed to get the new FO code. I cancelled ALL my timers between 12 midnight and 12 noon and set the 530 to channel 299 and it's always turned off, but still, downloading for hours in the am, no code when I check that night.

I tried *C on Sunday and got an pompous TSR that told me to leave my DVR off for three hours in the afternoon (which I did) cause he was going to have the dl happen then (which it never did). He also told me that I needed to leave my TV on all night cause the dl needs to broadcast to something and if it only has the front display screen of the DVR it doesn't work well cause it wants to broadcast to a TV. ???? I've never heard this, never done this??

Also, I'm not targeted, but I've never seen a target code listed ever for the other downloads either... but it's definitely downloading something.

I'm getting tired of not recording at night to leave it open for the dl.

Any ideas anyone?

#24 ·
"He also told me that I needed to leave my TV on all night cause the dl needs to broadcast to something and if it only has the front display screen of the DVR it doesn't work well cause it wants to broadcast to a TV."

Shoot. I hope they didn't start to hire Bev CSRs.
This kind of explanation was all the time with them :)

#27 ·
That's an awesome observation.

mellaby said:
I tryed native and no override and it's still not as good as 1080 + override. That is for recovery from the guide or PVR controls.
In theory, they perform the identical functions, but this tells me is one method has better performance characteristics.

I'm guess it's because in Native, that supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i and has to examine the input signal first, where in 1080i, it doesn't really have to check as much, who knows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.