Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#135 ·
grantb5 so you called SD yourself from California? Were you on a cell phone with a CDN number? I've read here that SD isnt so uptight about where people are calling from but I'm still nervous about calling them! We called the auto system for the PPV but we let our broker call when we needed help from a real person.

#136 ·
Yeah. Actually I used a Google voice number to save long distance charges because I was on hold for 30mins. But that number has an area code in San Diego I think. I even mentioned to the first guy that I was using VOIP (can't recall why that came up) and he said the quality was great so I told him it was Google voice. He seemed happy with that.

They asked me the phone number for the account and I gave the number and address for my folks place in Canada, which is the billing address I have been using. Actually they don't even live there anymore so I should update that to a friends house. Anyway it was a non-issue, but I had prepared responses for whatever might have come up.

#147 · (Edited by Moderator)
I Need Advice on Shaw in USA (GA)

Hello. I am looking into getting Shaw Direct for install in Atlanta, GA. I have done some basic research but things are confusing. I would like to get the real scoop on if I can pull this off. Please help if you can.
First of all, I would like to use 2 DSR 605 recievers. I think the dish I want is the 4 port LNB dish but there is conflicting advice as to whether I can use the standard size 60 or I must get the larger 75 dish. I would obviously rather use the smaller one because of shipping and size but if I need the larger dish, I do not want to order something useless. So which dish size will work in Atlanta GA?
My next question concerns programming. My main desire is to get CITY TV out of Toronto. I would prefer HDTV but will settle for SD if I cannot get it. I see they have a Digital Lite that has the channel but would it be in HD in that package?
My next question concerns billing. I know they require a Canadian address and I can use a relative's address but I am wondering if they offer paperless billing where I can just auto pay or pay on the internet. And will they gripe over a USA based credit card.
My next question is if they will allow self installs. I have been told that Shaw says they MUST visit your residence and MUST install the dish but I see Shaw dishes on RVs all the time and I know they did not install those. So is self install allowed and will they get upset if I call from a USA phone to activate?
My final question is the future. I don't want to lay out for a system that will be rendered useless in the near future. Bell switched satellites and cut off all their USA subscribers. Is Shaw planning on doing likewise?

#148 ·
If you can pull this off, here are the answers I know:

1. go with the 75 cm dish.
2. CITY TV is not available in HD on Shaw Direct until Anik G1 launches
3. The new G1 Satellite set to launch at year's end (or later) will add ~100 HD channels, but I believe the foot print of G1 is out of your reach.
http://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1

#149 ·
Shaw has a free install deal for new customers but it is not mandatory, you can do your own install. Also they don't care what kind of credit card you use be it usa or ca. I'm sure Shaw must have a paperless billing option. The only thing you will need to get ironed out for sure is a "Canadian service address"

#152 ·
I have heard that you can ask them to change the timezone. Have your relative as your primary site and your GA address as your HAFH site. The main things is to have a Canadian telephone number and quote it when you call them. Just say you are calling from a cell phone to avoid tying up the main line. I do that from PV all the time.

#156 ·
Installer in Las Vegas or self install

Hi, We have just signed up for the home away from home program.

We plan to install the supplied 75E dish and 630 receiver in our condo in Vegas this October.
Doe's anyone know of a reasonably priced installer that could do the install for us, I have contacted one and he wanted upwards of $750 :eek:
The install would be on a single story flat roof and would require a Non-penetrating mount with mat + an additional mount for an antenna and two diplexers, cable runs etc.
If we install ourselves I think we have enough info, set skew and elevation and patiently fine tune while pointing at Anik F2 111.1 using channel 252.

Any advice or leads to installers WILL be appreciated. :D

#157 ·
630 with two dishes

I have a replacement 630 that has finally gone into working mode. It arrived with a memory loss and had to have things reloaded into it, not sure what but just glad it works.

Problme I have discovered that with the 24 inch dish I do get signal loss during a light rain. Signal level is in the mid 90s when it is clear. I had the same problem with Bell before losing the signal altogether this past month. The solution that worked here was upgrading to a 1 meter dish. I know the LNBs are not the same I also have another non used 1 meter dish that has a signal feed linear LNB on it. Was wondering if it is possible to use these two dishes in tandem to replace the other one? If so what will I need in terms of swicthes cables and LNBs. I also have a 10 foot dish that I suspect would never get rain fade but it gets used for FTA and 4dtv.

#158 ·
You'd need a 4x8 multi switch with 22 khz capability such as the eagle aspen 4x8, you'd need 2 dual Linear LNB's. 2 cables from each LNB into the 4 inputs of the switch ( 2x 13v & 2x 18v) .... Where are you located? You shouldn't need to go with a two dish set up if you are below the Arctic circle, you should be fine with a shaw 75cm elliptical dish. I have a 2 dishe set up with 2x 1.2 meter dishes, but I live close to the north pole !

#159 ·
Stinger123, I'm an installer in the Toronto area.

If you fly me out to Vegas for the weekend, I'll do it for free!!!

Seriously, $750 is ridiculous.

If this install was in Toronto, I'd charge you $175 for a two cable install (labour and RG6 cable only). Parts are extra.

Here is what you can do yourself.

Being a flat roof, all you need is a concrete patio stone, a hammer drill with a concrete drill bit, 6 Tapcon screws, and an impact driver to install the screws.

Make sure you use a level and make the mounting pole VERTICAL and PLUMB.

I do this all the time on flat roofs and they work great.

Not sure why you need diplexers, unless you're installing an OTA antenna beside the dish.

Bring two cables into your condo, connect them to your receiver, use Ch.252 if you have a Triple XKu LNB, go to the Signal Strength window and PATIENTLY adjust the dish.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing to mention is, when you make a dish adjustment, wait 10 - 15 seconds for a result. Some Shaw receivers are very slow in indicating a signal after adjustments.

Regarding Dish settings; Las Vegas is just a little west of Calgary, so set the skew (rotational twist) at 88 degrees. The elevation for Satellite B 111.1W is 47.7 degrees, compass direction 161 degrees.

If you plan on taking a receiver back and forth to Canada, I would suggest you have a Triple XKu LNB installed at home, because the 75E dish that Shaw supplies for the HAFH program comes with a Triple XKu LNB.

If your house has the older Dual Sat LNB, the V-codes are different for the two LNB's, which means if you take a receiver from home to Vegas, it won't work, and vice-versa.

To avoid having to call Shaw each time, just get yourself a Triple XKu LNB for your house.

Be advised that the dish on your home is probably the smaller Model 60E, and requires the proper 60E Triple XKu, which is different than the Model 75E Triple XKu LNB.

Hope I haven't confused you too much.