Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#1,505 ·
That's right gzink. Those weather and emergency alerts are getting bigger in size and longer duration and more prevalent . It's really starting to affect the shows I'm watching, especially the alerts on the top of the screen. I'm starting to think that Detroit in a constant state of emergency. Forcing the programs to the Canadian slots has really helped.

#1,506 ·
I am retired and I live near Toronto. For several years, I have been fortunate enough to be able spend some time during the winter in a Florida mobile home community where I have the Extra Small Shaw Direct TV package. I originally bought the package in Ontario where I think it was called Home Away From Home. I pay for using Shaw Direct while in Florida and I put it on seasonal suspension when I return to Ontario each year. In Ontario, I subscribe to Bell - phone, internet and TV. I am thinking about keeping Bell internet and cancelling my Bell phone and TV and using Shaw full time along with magicjack for the phone.
Here is my dilemma - do I have to bring my receiver and dish back and forth each year or can I ask Shaw for another receiver and dish for my home in Ontario? If I do ask for another dish for Ontario, could Shaw cancel my Florida set-up? I hope that I have explained myself without too much confusion.
Any help with information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

#1,507 ·
@Leesnurg : Please read the links in post 1 of this thread.

1. By way of clarification, HAFH (Home away from home) is only allowed in Canada and is not to be used in the US.

2. You are not allowed to use Shaw Direct at all in the US (legally). Shaw Direct is not allowed to knowingly "sell" to people located in the US, even if you're Canadian. That's why people discuss all the "workarounds" in this thread.

3. Other people who have posted in this thread should be able to add to the above and perhaps advise you of your best options.

#1,509 ·
No longer HAFH, You are allowed to have multiple receivers on an account (6 of them??). And you can get a dish etc installed through local assets. Get an additional receiver from Shaw without mentioning anything else and get it set up in your home. Or get a good used receiver clear to be registered with Shaw.
We used to carry a receiver from our home to our RV ("in Canada") but the dish and lnb are different - just need to be the same new type lnb .

#1,510 ·
Thanks gznik for your reply to my message about having Shaw Direct in Florida and in Ontario.
In Ontario, I have a working Bell dish on my house.
Do you know what would happen to that dish if I cancelled my Bell TV account? Would Bell remove it or could it be used for a Shaw Direct connection?

#1,513 ·
I just received the following email from SD. What will happen to those of us who are not "at home"? What will happen if the update is not done?

We’re making major upgrades to our network and when complete, nearly all your channels will be HD.1*

Your satellite dish is not compatible and needs to be updated to avoid losing some of your channels, starting April 2, 2019.*

This will be available to you at no additional cost.

#1,515 ·
yeah, Just got the same panicked email. Maybe that’s true - they’re getting rid of the Classic channel maps. Isn’t there a Shaw Direct operative who’s been making entries here lately? Maybe they can clear this up, regarding if that April 2nd date is a firm and definite threat, or merely a suggestion. I’ve got an xKu in a box, but was just waiting for better weather. Guess I better put on a hat and coat and get on with it....

#1,518 ·
If they eliminate the computer programming for the old, quad lnb’s Classic channel map, then yeah, I imagine you’d lose everything if you had the quad. If you have an xKu, then you’ll get all three satellites within the footprint, and just F1/F2 if out of the footprint. I imagine they’ll be shutting down some SD channels as well around April 2. But yes, it’s just the LNB, not the dish which will need changing. I’m still doubtful they’ll kill the Classic map on that date, but it would be great if that Shaw rep spoke up...

#1,520 ·
“starting” April 2. So from what I read, users of the old, quad lnb will begin to lose channels on April 2, culminating in the final lineup adjustments in September, 2019. That’s when I’d assume they kill the old, Classic channel map. But it’s Shaw, so who knows....lol

#1,521 ·
Hey all,

Hoping I address all the comments here but let me know if I missed something!

- Emails are being sent to all accounts with a Quad LNB, because SD channels are beginning to drop as of April 2nd

- Emails are also being sent to all accounts with any kind of MPEG-2 equipment on them

- "To avoid losing some of your channels" doesn't mean we won't be supporting Quad maps or the Classic lineup - it's referring to SD channels you receive today on F1/F2, but the HD version is on G1, so Quad (or really non-xKu) LNBs will lose that channel entirely

- For April 2nd, these two channels are TeleQuebec and TVA Riviere-du-Loup - both HD feeds are on G1, so you will not be able to access either service in SD (at all) or HD (unless your LNB is upgraded)

- We fully understand that some customers will be perfectly fine operating on the F2 only lineup with their non-xKu LNBs, so I don't see support for these maps being discontinued any time soon

- Marketing used the term "satellite dish" as "LNB" isn't a generally wide spread term among the non-tech-savvy folks - this is a tricky one to communicate

- Upgrading customers has been very much like pulling teeth, especially for LNBs, so the messaging has to be a bit stronger than we're used to using; we have to make sure anyone who requires an installation gets ahead of the game before massive SD drops start happening in July (65 channels, 22 of which will be G1 only once dropped), or we're going to have a hairy installation scheduling problem

Hopefully this helps clarify! We aren't intending to drive "panic", but we definitely need to drive the upgrade activity early. You're going to continue to receive messaging until September if you're on a non-xKu map. If you're fine with the F2 only lineup, then feel free to ignore.

#1,523 ·
From what was said previously it sounds like there will be a classic lineup, an advanced lineup and a perhaps brand new optimized lineup that people can optionally switch too. The third lineup will have channels grouped in more logical order rather then some of the split placements that have occurred as HD channels have been added and SD channels replaced and/or dropped.

#1,525 ·
Somewhat but no more confusing then having two channel sequences. If they implement a new number sequence I would imagine it will be the one new subscribers get. However I believe the advanced lineup was for a time the default for new subscribers but I thought they reverted to classic being the default when they introduced HD channels starting at 001, 002, 003 etc.

It will make it confusing for online listing services having Classic East, West - Advanced East, West and possibly an "Optimized" East, West.

You would think at least one would be dropped.

#1,528 ·
@kcowan from what @k801809 said on March 7, post 1510, in this thread, that the wording of the current messages about the MPEG4 change over is to prod people to update their equipment. Specifically the LNB, however the older LNB will continue to function and be supported. What will happen starting in April is that some of Std Def channels will drop, in some cases the HD equivalent is on G1. If you have the quad LNB and not the xLNB you will lose access to that channel in either Std Def or HD. Some of the french channels start dropping in April. The biggest phase is in July where there are 22 channels that will only be on G1 when the Std Def version drops from F1R or F2.

Shaw is encouraging customers to change out the LNBs now so they do not get overloaded with requests when the bulk of MPEG4 HD only channel change up happens. The past deadlines impacted receivers, if you had a 5xx HD receiver you would not be able to receive any HD channels right now because all the HD signals are MPEG4. The 5xx cannot decoded MPEG4. The next deadline is for the LNB to be able to receive G1 signals. It sounds like there are still lots of Quad LNBs still out there.