Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#108 ·
FYI: I just visited a person here that has a 75cm Shaw dish and an old 505 receiver; very good reception both on sd AND hd channels, even though the engineers at Telesat Canada in Ottawa say that the signal from F2 should be pretty weak when at 15degrees and 95lat.
Who to beleive now????

#115 ·
Maybe the engineers at Telesat Canada in Ottawa don't go to Mexican Bars...

Last year, while on Vacation in PV for my niece's wedding (October 28, 2010) at an all inclusive, there was a bar on the second floor of a store across the street that advertised Canucks Games on a Chalkboard, so we went over one night. (I'm a season's ticket holder and don't miss many games.) When we got there I noticed it was a 505 reciever, and a fair 52 inch (or so) HD TV. But the picture was 4x3 and on an SD Channel. (Ugh - this TV sucked on SD as some do :() This trip was just after I had fininshed a very tough install back home, and was really into installation details and such.

(It was on a Home & Away package see http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300)

So after a cold one (or maybe two) I couldn't take it any more so I asked the Bar's manager, and she said they can't get it any better, and pointed me to a 20 something year old man who was their "technical" guy. Now remember I'm there with a couple of my Brothers, and other relatives (maybe 6 of us), but the bar is full of somewhat exuberant (maybe inebriated) Canucks Fans. I talked to the tech guy, and basically he said he tried everything, but can get it better => but says I'm welcome to try. So I go back to the table and explain it to them. Some are confident in my abilities, and some are not. (Maybe it's the Beer.:rolleyes:)

Anyway I decide to go for it but I'll wait until the First Period is over. So once into commercial, I stand up and go to tinker. Then the manager comes on the PA and announces what I'm going to do just as I turn off the reciever. Most folks just groaned. I think I check the signal strength and Ecbno values before I changed the TV Set-up to 16 x 9, and then changed the channel to an HD feed of the game => the Full screen lights up in very decent HD. Then everyone cheers! The Tech guy later said it's the best picture they've ever had, and he owes me a beer.

So anyway, this story just shows you that F2 (HD feed) works in PV. (By the way the Tech guy never did give me that Beer, but they were only $3 each so I really didn't mind very much.)

Maybe the engineers at Telesat Canada in Ottawa don't go to Mexican Bars to watch the Canucks!.;)

#109 ·
Used SC receiver

I want to buy a used SC receiver & remote to take with me on an extended holiday in Mexico to watch Canadian TV. Can I activate the receiver and use it as pay as you go ? I don't want a contract sub but only temporary use for several months.I already use BEV at home but it won't work in Mex apparently.

Thanks

#116 ·
I want to buy a used SC receiver & remote to take with me on an extended holiday in Mexico to watch Canadian TV. Can I activate the receiver and use it as pay as you go ? I don't want a contract sub but only temporary use for several months.I already use BEV at home but it won't work in Mex apparently.

Thanks
No - SD doesn't offer month to month deals.

#111 ·
600 or 605 in Mexico

I will start by saying that I am FRUSTRATED! I have a 75 cm eliptical dish at my condo in a town called Barra de Navidad about 3 1/2 hours south of PV, but about 45 minutes north of Manzanillo. Lots of people at our condo have Starchoice but they all have older receivers. Again I have the new 600s and 605s. I also think others may possibly have programming from the east. I tried pointing the dish with no success (well very little success). I paid someone to come out...again...no success. The only channels that we can get are:
27, 28, 64, 66, 68, 70, 74, 121, 149, 300, 303, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 338, 340, 341, 342, 345, 350, 351, 353, 380, 381, 390, 700, 711, 721. The best signal I can get (for the channels that I can get) is about 75 in the yellow. Are there issues with the new style receivers in Mexico? My programming from home (MB) is western. Let me tell you...it's HOT on that roof! Can anyone give me some advise?

#112 ·
Hi there. I have set up Shaw 75's here in Puerto Escondido (way south). It is very tricky because you have to make sure you get the BEST signal from F2, then F1r with the skew comes in real strong. But to align the dish to F2 you must NOT be on channel 299 but on an SDchannel not HD that uses F2 ( 711 is one). Peak your azimuth and elevation.
THEN go to channel 299 and you peak F1R wih the skew. That's IT!!! some HD channels are very susceptible to not always beeing there( check screen 7: ECB must be more than 3 for HD; it is not the % that counts; ecb is signal "quality". Good luck

#113 ·
I've had a DSR315 receiver at my condo in San Jose del Cabo for a few years. Our entire condo complex is wired for StarChoice/Shaw Direct by some guy that used to work in the communication field in Canada. Each building uses an elliptical dish and a multiswitch to feed 8 units. All worked well until our last trip where my receiver seems to have crapped out. Anyways, I am buying a 600 receiver and will activate it here at home. Then, on our next trip,I plan on taking it down. With all the stuff I read about v codes etc, can I expect my receiver to work down there?

#117 ·
We went to a SuperBowl party in PV a couple of years ago. The guy had a 32" CRT with SC. The feed even had the commercials simsub'ed. Never went back.

It is amazing the incompetence of some "goto" guys in Mexico. OTOH there are some great tradesmen. Our gas BBQ (from Langley BC purchased locally) is built-in to our patio and hooked into building propane.

#118 ·
I am south of LA in the US and have the DSR-315 standard def setup on a 75cm dish. I am pointed at F2 (I think) and I get 65% green signal strength. Actually I just moved a few miles and used to get 72%.

I find the installation is always a nightmare here and have given up on using the signal strength meter as a guide. I just tune in a channel and point the dish until the signal is good, then fine tune with the signal strength meter.

#119 ·
Tnx to forum mods for allowing US postings in this thread

Hi i just noticed that this thread has been renamed so it's "South of Canada" not just "in Mexico." So now we have a good place to talk about people putting in Shaw in the U.S. Thanks, moderators!

We just got our Shaw system set up in N. Calif. (Bay Area) so if anyone has questions well try to help to "pay it forward" from all the nice people on this forum who helped us!

#126 ·
OK I picked up the PVR over the weekend and will test it out this coming weekend. I imagine I have to change my programming from my standard def stuff to HD before I can get anything out of it?

Also, my reading of the supplied Quick Start guide indicates that the second cable is only required if you want to watch one show while recording another (or recording two at once). So I don't know if I will add the second cable off the bat or not.

#132 ·
Well it was an interesting test. I had to call Shaw Direct in order to activate the box and the guy there said it might work somewhat and that he would go ahead and activate it. It worked for about 5 minutes .. had TV... and I had 93 signal strength on the one cable I had plugged in. Got off the phone and within a minute the signal strength fell to 0 and nothing since then. I will add the 2nd line tonight and see what that does. Hope nothing's broken.

#134 ·
As QCK said it's fine. After I added the second line I did a factory reset then a phone call re-authorization and it's 90%+ in the green on both bars in Orange County, CA. Yay!

Curiously the DSR-315 had fallen to 55% just before this install. No adjustment to the dish was made.