Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#84 ·
Starchoice in Cabo San Lucas

Looking at getting hooked up at our condo in Cabo. Todos Santos installer is very expensive so planning on getting receivers down in luggage during our flyins. If the E75 dish quad LNB will work there satisfactorily then should be able to pay extra luggage cost and take it on plane also? Will be a roof mount with unobstructed veiws of satelites.Will this work or will there be extra duties/taxes from mexico when I arrive with the dish and receivers. Not planning on driving down for some time. Any help on my problem is appreciated.

Rick

#85 ·
You are allowed to bring all kinds of personal stuff into Mexico. Particularly when you drive in. But there should be no duty on something like a dish; we have brought down two at a time via the airlines as "extra baggage". MUCH cheaper than sourcing the equipment here, where prices can easily reach four times the purchase price in Canada.

In the Ottawa area at least, you don't get the dish when you buy a package at the retailers: it comes with the installation. So, we had the installer bring and hook up our dishes to our picnic table, register the boxes, and make sure everything worked. Then we brought the stuff down.

The larger dish you are talking about is perfect for reception of HD down here.

#86 ·
Thanks for your help Mike thats what I wanted to hear. Planning on taking lots of stuff down this way-they just don't make things the same down there. I have a dish and LNB in the box from about 4 years ago whats the chance the LNB is still compatible(only a dual but thats OK).

#88 ·
75 E dish

I am looking for a 75 E Starchoice dish locally to take to Mexico. I have a few people calling with eliptical dish but do not know model # or size. What is the length/width measurements are they straight across or follow the concave. Also I have found round 1 m and 1.2 m dishs in mexico close to where I am. Is it possible to use these with starchoice LNB setup. It sounds to me like the eliptical dish is used to pickup the two different starchoice satellites by using just the one dish where the round dishes would require the use of two dishes to pickup up both anik satellites. Also is there enough programming options from using just either one of the satellites. Not too concerned with sports channels or french channels. On a fast learning curve here trying to get things together by the time I leave at the end of June.

Thanks Rick

#89 · (Edited)
Also is there enough programming options from using just either one of the satellites
Yes. I have a Patriot 85e dish with an Pansat 5600 LNB pointed at Anik F2 only and it works just fine, as I am interested only in French.

In general, HD and French comes from F2, English comes from F1R. There are some exceptions though. Here's a good guide:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf1_chno.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf2_chno.html

The channels that are colored green in on the above pages are HD.

You can also use two generic dishes like mine connected with a switch in lieu of the standard Shaw dish if you want to get your full package.

I have a few people calling with eliptical dish
Be careful with this. The Anik satellites are approximately 4 degrees apart in space. The distance between the "little white circles" on the LNB is critical to proper reception. If you purchase a third-party dish with the hope of receiving the Aniks, be sure that the LNB they sell you will work for 4-degree satellite spacing. I know there are some out there, but I've not heard how/if they work with Shaw. Such LNB's require a special manufacture.....if you examine a standard Shaw quad LNB, you will notice how the "circles" actually touch and, in fact, overlap each other. Without such a specially constructed LNB, you will not be able to capture signals from two satellites with a 4-degree spacing using a single dish. And, if you try to cobble 2 LNB's together on a single dish, the physical size of the 2 LNB's will prevent you from getting them set at the proper spacing.

Also, if you go with a third party dish/LNB, be sure it can receive Ku band signals. This rules out the dishes used by the two American satellite providers.

What is the length/width measurements are they straight across or follow the concave.
Can't help you with this one..... The 75e is nominally 75cm in the horizontal dimension, but as to exact dimensions, maybe some else will respond. But, in truth, it's not the exact dimensions that are important. The size of the dish determines how much signal it can capture. The further south you go, the weaker the signal, the larger dish that is needed. For Mexico, anything in the neighborhood of 75cm & up should get you enough signal.

If you want to purchase a 75e (don't buy a 60e for Mexico, it's too small) sent me a pm. I can recommend a vendor in Montreal.

#90 · (Edited)
kingrich, the 75E will work great for you in that location. I am in Mazatlan and brought mine down on Westjet for oversize luggage fee. You will get the 75E for free when you sign up for the Home Away from Home package for $99.00. We felt that was the way to go because we wanted the HD receiver. The 60E works great here too, but it doesn't pick up the HD Channels or French (if that's a concern). Also, not sure how 60E works when the heavy rains set in, but others say it's okay. (I have an old 60E as a spare in case a hurricane blows down our 75E). Friends say the 60E gets a better reception than DISH network system they previously had. Our local technicians can rig any dish to receive Starchoice/Shaw signals, so for those without the dish, it's not a huge problem. The account and receivers are the key.

Right above where the "eyes" are (sorry, not too technical) on top, engraved in the plastic it is clearly noted 60E or 75E. Have them check that before buying the wrong dish, as we once did. Hope this helps.

#91 ·
Thanks for all the above info. Good stuff to know!! I have a email into Shaw to find out about the Home away from Home plan. I could not find the exact details on their site on this program so hopefully will find resolution when i talk to them.
Hope thats it for now and will post after install to let everyone know how it went.

Rick

#96 ·
Do you know if I can use a PO Box for that, and if you know were to get it? I´m in Mexico and i have my system deliver last week, but I´ll like to control my subscription.

I Had DirecTV wit a PO Box from San Antonio, but since they move the satelites, My wife will not let me install a biger antenas.

Kind regards

#94 ·
living in mexic
Depending on the satellite footprints, the signal might not be receivable. Anik F1 covers most of Mexico. Anik F2 (IIRC, carries the HD channels) does not. Northern areas should be Ok with a big Shaw Direct dish. Southern areas might require a bigger dish. AFAIK, it's not illegal to receive Canadian satellite in Mexico but some discretion is required since Canadian satellite services are not licensed to sell services outside Canada.

#97 ·
Shaw Direct for American citizens

You may want to contact UPS who provide mailbox services at Canadian outlets.

if you do get one (it will cost $300 or more per year), be sure to give the box number as e.g. Unit 309 or Suite 309 as Shaw Direct will ask for installation address of the dish if you give them a Box Number.

http://www.theupsstore.com/products/pages/maiandpos.aspx

Other than that you need to find a canadian relative.

There are Americans living in Mazatlan Mex where I am that have this service and deal directly with Shaw, but I not know how this was setup.

#99 · (Edited by Moderator)
shaw direct HD with 2 dishes

Gideh eh,
I have 2 1.2 M. dishes set up in my yard in Guatemala and I have been trying to get HD happening.
The dishes have single output LNB’s on them, and I just saw in another post that these should be dual output . I will have those changed in a couple days.
The HD600 receiver is registered and turned on using the one round dish with a non stacked LNB, and I have been trying to aim the second dish at the 111.1 F2 satellite using the signal meter on the receiver, but after hours of trying, I get no, I repeat 0 signal from the F2 111 satellite, the F1R at 107 booms in 97- 98%, I have been using it for a couple years, and now am trying to upgrade to HD.
Is there any reason that I can’t get a signal on this receiver because of the settings?
Is there just no signal to be had? The footprint maps show me in the same color as I am in in Canada, using the same 1.2 meter dish and LNB, but I have not tried to get HD in Canada so this is why the receiver is set up for just the single dish on the F1R satellite, and like I say it booms in.
I would be so happy to find out why I am not getting a signal from the second satellite, I am at 14* N,,, so close I can almost see the darn thing with a naked eye. Frustrating. But not near as bad if I was trying to do this at 76*N
Any tips as to how to remedy this will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks eh, Steve

#100 ·
shaw in puerto escondido

I am in puerto escondido which is as far south as you can be in Mex.
Was told I would NEVER get F2 even with the 75cm here; only F1R will reach; but the dual LNB will not allow that, presumably!!!!Was told I would need to get a single lnb and be contented with sd reception and NO 700 (french) channels.
ShouldI move up to puerto Vallarta????
This would be terrible because a whole bunch of Canadians from Calgary are coming down here with a dish and a receiver in their luggage; I think I will get EGG on my face.. Any solutions, aside from dual 1.2m dishes???
Thanks

#101 ·
Hi at 14o in guatemala; I am at 15o in puerto escondido mx, just west of you; please read my postjust after yours; we are in the same boat ; hope someone will come up with a solution because a big resort here is counting on me to supply them with Shaw sd and hd to feedmultiple condos through multiplexers; but WITHOUT a signal, " up the creek without a paddle!". Pierre

#105 ·
correction; I was just asked to help with this setup; individuals are bringing their own personal receivers from Canada. So, really, what is the problem with that? This is NOT a commercial setup for profit or anything, just dish "sharing". And how about somebody giving advice on dish pointing for this location in MX?