Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1

762K views 3K replies 259 participants last post by  bammer21yeg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Edit by 57:

The following post has important channel information for 2019.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11...ico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-102.html#post3076793

Why is SD being limited in areas south of Canada?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-75.html#post2865377

Note that the new G1 satellite will have a footprint that will not allow viewing very far south of Canada, depending on dish size. You will likely not be able to receive channels on G1 if you're far south of Canada (about 1/2 way between Canada and Mexico).

Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Footprint: http://www.telesat.com Choose Satellite from list

Channels on G1: Shaw Direct In Areas South of Canada (Mexico, US, etc) Read Post 1 - Page 56 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums also, Click the channel lineup link on the following web-page and the MPEG4 channels listed should be on G1?

Shaw Direct - Satellite TV Packages, Satellite Services / Prices - Shaw Direct

If you get a channel sometimes, but not at other times, it could be a simsub issue with one channel on one satellite and the simsub on G1, which you cannot get very far south of Canada. Discussed in the following posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-59.html#post2613761 Post 879 onwards.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-63.html#post2643337 Post 932-934

Another edit by 57 - if you wish to discuss HAFH (home away from home changes) please use the following link:

Home Away From Home Program - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Here is the method for switching your receiver to accept the Dual Quad or the Triple xKu LNB. This is temporary and goes away if your receiver reboots, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...xico-us-etc-read-post-1-a-72.html#post2840577

I'm currently an Expressvu client, with the 9200 HD PVR. I'm very happy with the hardware, but have had the usual issues with customer service.

I have a second home in Mexico and am thinking about switching to StarChoice so I can take advantage of the home away from home offering. That is to say, I would install the DVR 530 at my house in Canada, then take a second dish and the receiver to Mexico in the fall to use it there for the winter.

Has anyone else done this? I believe StarChoice works in Mexico, but I'm not sure about HD. There are installers there who are familiar with StarChoice.

Also, I'm sure what I'm planning is technically illegal. Does anyone know how cooperative StarChoice is with clients using the service out of the country?

The only other alternative I might consider, since BEV doesn't work in Mexico, is to get a Dish network subscription for my Mexican house. That way I could get a 9200 equivalent receiver. But then I'm stuck with 2 subscriptions.

I would appreciate any advice.

Dan

See less See more
#28 ·
I live in Cabo San Lucas for 1/2 the year.... There, we can get all the channels (SD & HDTV) during clear weather with the smaller elliptical dish, but the larger E75 dish is highly recommended because the signal is much stronger.... fewer problems with reception during rainy times.

Canadians, Americans, and even a few Mexicans (want their kids to learn English) have StarChoice service in Mexico.

#29 ·
Nothing illegal. You need to call them and ask to apply for the Home Away From Home.

You will have a registration fee of 49.99$ only. The dish will be provided. No extra charge for the 2nd location. And Star Choice is allowed anywhere where the signal can get to. So no problem for Mexico. You will just have to provide them with a proof that the place is yours (You know, to make sure all is legal heh) and all will be done.

#38 ·
SC in Other Countries

SC is very popular in Mexico - along the Caribbean Ocean.

I know some people that have it and it works well with the SC dish (legal). For BEV, Dish & Direct a much larger dish is required.

I do not know if the HD works here - but, I hope to find out this week.

Is there a way to purchase the SC DVR530 HD receiver with going through SC?

Because, I do not think I need the other parts. I will probably use a 1.1 meter round dish.

How many SATS (#s) does SC use?

More questions later. :)

Finnigan

#40 ·
Close to Paamul

As it turns out, I am only a 5 min from Paamul (to the south).

BEV worked fine here on an FTA box with a 1.8 meter dish. N3 ended that for now.

Anyway, I plan to visit Paamul this week and confirm the HD reception.

There are installers in this area that can do SC.

With DN here (again a 1.8 meter dish), HD is available (20-30 channels) but not the major USA Networks in HD. It is for that reason I want SC (can get West & East coast on SC).

No one mentioned places other that SC to get a DVR530 HD receiver - but, seems I can just get them from SC - since I am a Canuck.

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
new to SC in mexico

Help! I am new to this. I have what may appear to be stupid questions. Please talk to me like I'm a 12 year old. I am going to get SC at home in Canada because I want to able to use it in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I want to take and install a dish from Canada ( because I was quoted $400.00 plus installation by a local installer there). I don't need HD or french in Mexico so I assume I will only need to pick up one satellite(?). What size dish will do the trick there, I read about LMB's but don't know much about it do I need a single LMB or a double is there different ones that I would need. If there are already threads out there point me to them please.
Thanks

#43 ·
You can bring down the second dish and install it in PV. The second LNB is needed for the second satellite. You will need direct wiring to your satellite dish if you want to use the second satellite. You can get an inexpensive 60cm dish here if you only want one satellite.

#50 ·
FYI installation in Puerta Vallarta

Thanks to all for the input.
Got my star choice up and running in PV no problems. I took down a 60e dish purchased here for $45.00. Once the mount was true we hooked it up to a signal meter ($5.00 on e bay) dialed it straight in, 30 min. job. Sweet to get news from home. Now I did talk to a satellite pro down there and he tells me a 65E may not get good reception in the rainy season, if not I will take down a 75e or a 60 cm round dish next trip.

#51 ·
Dish Sizes

The larger dish is required to receive all the channels, because a bunch of them are beamed from a second satellite. Thus, the dual LNB.

The smaller dish receives broadcasts just fine as far south as Lake Chapala, and beyond, in the rainy season. Both dishes show disturbances at the beginning of storms, usually only lasting 10 minutes or so. The larger dish allows the Star Choice box to lock in again a little more quickly.

Round dishes (non-Star Choice) receive most channels pretty well, too: in fact, the bigger the dish, the stronger the signal. So if you have an old system's huge dish, try it out; they're great. They won't get you HiDef, though.

#53 ·
From what I have read the 75E dish will not be big enough to get a stable signal in Central Mexico.

You will need two separate dishes. For Anik F1R (107.3W) you can get by with a 90cm dish. The signal from Anik F2 (111.1W) gets much weaker that far south and you should use a 1.8 meter dish. If you can live without most of the HD & French channels you could just use the 90cm dish on Anik F1R. A good reference for the dishes you need for Shaw Direct (Star Choice) for use in Mexico can be found here:

http://www.global-cm.net/

#54 ·
There are local dealers in Puerto Vallarta specializing in Star Choice, including HD. Ex-pats especially enjoy the CBC and other TV related specifically to Canada. There are also some advantages in US programming not available in Mexico due to rights issues. The advice I hear over and over (admittedly, after some tequila, and in local bars there), is bring the receiver down yourself but have a local guy purchase and install the dish.

I'm not saying this is on my shopping list for when I retire in Mexico. I just saying ...