Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

July 18th: DSR530 Code CC Fixes, Features & Bugs

158K views 1K replies 167 participants last post by  NO-CRTC 
#1 ·
Check your target version tonight/tommorow.

As was posted here earlier and a C&P from another site that references a VP's response to a subscriber regarding the upcoming code:

The new feature set, if all passes, includes the following:

- Far improved operational stability for channel tuning (far few lock-ups during channel change -- in fact, so far we have seen none from that cause)
- Far improved timer performance for DVR recording, and for PPV recordings (again, so far no failures)
- Far improved performance for playback of DVR recordings (again, so far no failures)
- New sorting criteria for recordings
- A way to jump to identified times of recordings (i.e. 1 hour in)
For the majority of us that were on A8, this is great news as we'll finaly get the long sought after features that BC delivered to a selected few hundred.

For those of us on BC just waiting for the box to die after too many reboots, this should be a life saver.

Do check out all the new features in the beginning of the BC thread.

Enjoy the improved stability that CC brings.
Have faith that while not 100%, it's the closest the box has ever been and that new and exciting stuff is in the pipe.

From my experience in the past several weeks, what was quoted appears true for the most part.

Unfortunatly my source of information that gave me a closer view than most is no longer available.

Good luck and enjoy the efforts of many.

I'll still be around to help out as best I can.

See less See more
#9 ·
satellite said:
Are you sure it will be any different this time? Thats not what the CSR told me.
A while ago, I could be sure, not so today, but what I do know is the VP quoted earlier has indicated it's going out with whatever bugs it has, the customers needs this release.

I know that BC units were dying near the end of the field test, so it was pulled days after deployment. Only about 500 got the code.

In the case of CC, no such FATAL bugs exist, so there is NO REASON to withdraw the release.

While uncertain, I would expect the deployment to be staggered over the next few days to ease the burden at the call centre.

As has been stated many times before, CSR's only see a small portion of the picture.
In the past, I was priveleged to a broader view of things, but now things are different.

At the end of the day, what does it matter?
We don't control the decisions they make directly.
Just enjoy the improvements.

#15 ·
Just got CC

Woke up at 6 am to find that my 530 had taken the CC code. I had BC code before and seemed to be having alot more lockups recently. I only had 45 minutes or so to play with CC but I wasn't able to make it crash. I did lots of pauses and jumps forward and back, while recording on the second tuner. While it is WAY to early to say if the machine is now more stable I'm pretty sure that if I had still had BC, with what I put it through, it would have locked up. Hopefully it will preform as well on a longer test. I didn't see any real difference in the guide or the interface from BC, however I'm sure there are some areas I didn't check out fully. Hopefully this is what we have been waiting for.

#19 ·
Lazaruscomeout said:
If all goes well, it will be nice to show the 530 to friends and family without having to explain its flakey behavior.
It's funny you should mention that because I had friends over last night and we were watching a comedy show that I recorded. I pressed jump fwd twice to skip over some commercials, and the machine dropped out to the PLAY/DELETE menu. Pressing play at that point always starts the machine back and the very beginning of the recording. That was always very annoying. I had to explain to my company that there was a problem with the unit. It's definitely not good advertising for Star Choice when people who don't own the machine see this sort of thing.

This morning I woke up and my machine is now on CC too. I watched a recorded episode and it did not lock up during jumping. The pause seems to work better too. Backward slow motion works excellently, but forward slow motion seem to pixelate. The show I watched was an SD recording. HD may work differently. I can live with that if that's all that's wrong. When I get back from my trip I will be sure to fully test the machine.

#20 ·
New Features ?

I had BC code - had to reboot last night - I now have CC.

Since this will be the new hot thread, can someone summarize some of the new features available.

I know that in BC (not A8), while watching a recorded show, I could punch 4-5-SkipFwd and it would jump ahead 45 minutes. 1-0-SkipBack would take you back 10 mins.

And a confirmation screen before you deleted a show from the DVR list.

Anything new I can show my wife, or better yet, show my my kids before they show me. Or are they just going to forget how to reset the machine.

#21 ·
I haven't noticed anything new since the BC code but I did notice that Diagnostic Screen "R" (Options-6-4-9-7-7-1-Left Arrow button) now shows in Gigs how much space is left on the HD. My 160G HD only has 134.7G of space left on it and that's without any programs recorded. So it takes 25G to just run this box????? WOW thats more than my Windows XP computer.

#22 ·
Got upgraded from BC to CC last night. Two observations (minor) till now:

1. The system status (options-6-4-7) does not show tuner status/trip count, till you move the screen to the Cancel button
2. Set a timer for 7AM-8AM record today. The timer did not fire till 7:17AM. The timer was set when the box was with BC code....will test more.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do a factory reset to flush out any BC remnants ;-)

#24 ·
CC Lockup after 1 hour of use

:( I usually got a day or so out of A8 before a lock up but with CC I was able to lock it up in less then a hour of use. While holding the skip ahead button to do a fast scan I lost the picture and all control (including the normal off). Had to do a soft reset to bring it back.

The function I use the most is the Skip ahead due to dreaded commercials. It still has the same problem of scrambling the picture on certain compressed channels. (even though they seemed to have fixed the sluggish FF on these channels.)

With the time remaining stamp I now know why my commercial skip has been so inconsistent. I have my skip forward set to 60 seconds. On some recordings it skips ahead 60 seconds and on others it skips ahead 80 seconds. This does not seem to be related to the compression type that causes scrambling.

I thought the "Jump to" function would reduce my need to use the skip ahead button as a fast scan function but it has so many layers of menus and button pushes is still faster just to hold down the SKIP ahead button until you get to the time you want.

So other then the time stamp on recorded shows (which you have to get used to since it backwards from normal VCR / DVDs) I am yet to be impressed with CC.

Should we be starting a found BUG thread.

#26 · (Edited)
CC lockup on first attempt to RESUME a recording

The first thing i did after checking if i had CC code was to RESUME a recording and kaboom, got my machine locked. I believe that this recording was already at the very end.

It took me less than 2 minutes to lock it. Can you beat this???

I have done the usual stuff (RESET) to get my machine going again. I did not retry to RESUME again that recording.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.