Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

July 18th: DSR530 Code CC Fixes, Features & Bugs

158K views 1K replies 167 participants last post by  NO-CRTC 
#1 ·
Check your target version tonight/tommorow.

As was posted here earlier and a C&P from another site that references a VP's response to a subscriber regarding the upcoming code:

The new feature set, if all passes, includes the following:

- Far improved operational stability for channel tuning (far few lock-ups during channel change -- in fact, so far we have seen none from that cause)
- Far improved timer performance for DVR recording, and for PPV recordings (again, so far no failures)
- Far improved performance for playback of DVR recordings (again, so far no failures)
- New sorting criteria for recordings
- A way to jump to identified times of recordings (i.e. 1 hour in)
For the majority of us that were on A8, this is great news as we'll finaly get the long sought after features that BC delivered to a selected few hundred.

For those of us on BC just waiting for the box to die after too many reboots, this should be a life saver.

Do check out all the new features in the beginning of the BC thread.

Enjoy the improved stability that CC brings.
Have faith that while not 100%, it's the closest the box has ever been and that new and exciting stuff is in the pipe.

From my experience in the past several weeks, what was quoted appears true for the most part.

Unfortunatly my source of information that gave me a closer view than most is no longer available.

Good luck and enjoy the efforts of many.

I'll still be around to help out as best I can.

See less See more
#102 ·
Other than the skip forward button seeming to have a bit of a delay (as mentioned by others), the machine seems to be working very nicely - I can record PPVs again, which is really great.

The only other strange thing I have seen is this today:

I recorded a show last week that seemed to start a bit late and end a bit early, so I decided to add a minute to the start and end times for this week - 10 to 11 pm Monday. I also have a timer set for Sunday nights 11 pm to 12 am It's been running now for a few weeks, so I am sure it's not set for 11 pm to 12 pm or anything strange like that. When I edited my Monday evening timer to start at 9:59 pm instead of 10:00 pm, the machine said it was conflicting with the 11-12 timer on Sunday night. When I changed it back to 10:00 it was fine.

Anyone else seen this happen?

#103 ·
Wendy MacKinnon said:
Other than the skip forward button seeming to have a bit of a delay (as mentioned by others), the machine seems to be working very nicely....
Quite right, that is new in 00.CC
I think it's to ensure that it doesn't crash like before.
A small prcie to pay in my opinion.

In fact, the response is about the same as my Motorola cable DCT6412 PVR that is coded by the big guys at TVGuide (Prevue in Canada).

Maybe part of the problem was they were pushing it a bit to far for the drivers and their code experience or the hardware, dunno.
Just glad to have a workable box finally.

Wendy,
On the timer issues, maybe check the FREQUENCY of the timers.
Is it possible 1 or more are set to daily, or MON-FRI or something.

There was an timer overlap bug about 2 release ago, but that was fixed, unless it broke again.
It had to do with using UTC (aka GMT) internally were Monday actually started Sunday afternoons.

#104 ·
HammerJoe said:
CC is the most stable version so far.

It's not perfect yet, but if someone still continues to have so many problems I have to shift the blame to the user as well.

I believe that the machine under normal situations works reasonably well.

Myself I have a few small issues, but in no way hinder the usage of the machine. I have had a couple random lockups. No big deal imo.
I can live with a lockup once a week. :)

With CC I have to put some balme to the users and their set up.
To put it mildly this machine does not like heat.
I think turing the fan off was a bad idea, at least we should have an option to turn it on.
The noise only bothered a few people anyway.
As I was saying the machione does not like heat and if it is warm/hot in the room, the machine starts behaving oddly.
I've noticed it the other day when it was really hot in the room.

For people that have constant lockups, please move the machine to a more open space, or better try having a fan blowing air to it for a couple days and see if the problems persist.
I can almost guarantee the machine will become much more pleasant to use. :)
How can one blame the user for an instrument that has been so problematic since its inception. Since downloading CC my 530 has frozen up twice and the only thing we were doing was watching live tv. All we did was to try to change the channel. Each time we ended up with a broken recording.
Lester

#105 · (Edited)
Lester said:
How can one blame the user for an instrument that has been so problematic since its inception. Since downloading CC my 530 has frozen up twice and the only thing we were doing was watching live tv. All we did was to try to change the channel. Each time we ended up with a broken recording.
Lester
It's very strange that you have a couple of broken recordings when all you were doing was watching live tv? Are you 100% sure?

#106 ·
ARR said:
Wendy,
On the timer issues, maybe check the FREQUENCY of the timers.
Is it possible 1 or more are set to daily, or MON-FRI or something.

There was an timer overlap bug about 2 release ago, but that was fixed, unless it broke again.
It had to do with using UTC (aka GMT) internally were Monday actually started Sunday afternoons.
The Sunday evening timer is weekly, and the one for Monday is just a one-time.

I guess what I really don't understand is why it's OK at 10:00 pm, but not at 9:59 pm. And as to frequency, I can't think of any frequency that would cause 11 pm - midnite Sunday to conflict with 9:59 pm - 11 pm Monday. Unless, as you say it is a time zone bug - I seem to remember that happening with A8 before, but I don't recall the specfic circumstances (it was just one of a long list of A8 issues).

Should I report it to *C, do you think?

#109 ·
Wendy MacKinnon said:
... Unless, as you say it is a time zone bug - I seem to remember that happening with A8 before,...
Should I report it to *C, do you think?
If it's reproducable, I most certainly would.
Provide as much detail as possible to help them identify the problem.
Ask them to forward it to their supervisor so that a bug gets entered into their development bug tracking system.

#110 ·
I finally had my first freeze up last night. I wanted to watch a channel that I had locked out and when I go to the channel normally you would get the screen that asks you to enter your password. That screen came up but kept flashing on and off making it impossible to enter the password. After a minute or two of waiting for the flashing to stop it just froze up. I have noticed this flashing whenever I'm channel surfing but is hasn't been a problem until lastnight. This flashing doesn't happen all the time though. It took 2 front panel power resets to get it fixed.

#111 ·
SatTv1994 said:
It's very strange that you have a couple of broken recordings when all you were doing was watching live tv? Are you 100% sure?
Yes I am sure. I was watching live tv and when I went to change the channel by using the back button (previous program button)the system froze on me so I had to do a front panel reboot. This of course broke the recording I was doing. This happened twice since the download.
Lester

#113 ·
A little bit upset with DHC!

ARR said:
There was a total of 5 members here plus myself that have had CC in advance as part of a very tightly controlled field test.

Remember all the flap a year or so ago, well it was true and those that discounted the invitation got left out and those that took the opportunity have been privelege to stuff no others have had.

I remember receiving this "personal" invitation and was specifically asked by DHC not to respond to the invitation and that the invitee was no way affiliated with DHC! Out of respect for DHC I did what DHC asked me to do ... and now you are telling me that I missed out on this offer! :mad:

While I appreciate DHC's position on this matter - I consider myself one of the first, amongst the few, to purchase a 530, passed comment on its features and WOULD have responded to the invitation if I felt for one second that it was legitimate.

That being said - I was also one of the subsribers stuck with A8, not BC, until CC arrived and would not trade my 530 for anything.

Just had to VENT - sorry guys!

#114 ·
A troubled time...

Sorry Mike, D.D. was just trying to do what he thought was best for those that appeared quite troubled with the receivers and given his position on the DSR530 program, it made sense at the time.
The invite was NOT associated with DHC, but direct from the head of the development team.

It was a great program for those that made it through and I hope it continues, but the program has lost it's captain and I fear no one is steering the ship. Thankfully, some future directions have been put in place to make it a better unit if they follow through, but without a customer advocate at the program helm, I can't be certain.

Things eventually caught up with him as it did with me as well.

Do keep Hugh's position in mind, at the time, all hell was breaking loose and emotions were extremly high and quite problematical.

I see now with CC, aside from some expected posts, the rukas has subsided.
I see this as a good thing, it means they have almost arrived.
Either that, or everybody sold their units or is on vacation, but I suspect it's mostly the former.

#115 ·
CC has been good to me

So far, since cc, my 530 has performed very well. No freeze ups at all!

While using A8, I experienced a freeze up about once per month.

Nice Job to all who were involved. The update was slower than I'd have liked however the wait was worth it. This 530 is a nice machine and I can't imagine going without it.

#116 ·
CC is for Me!

CC has been absolutely ROCK-SOLID for me.

I LOVE the skip-forward feature.

This is the code we have been waiting for!

No freeze-ups, no reboots, just watching shows with no problems whatsoever!

I know it took a while, but thanks Starchoice for getting it RIGHT!

All those who were waiting to buy a 530, your wait is now over!

#117 ·
Well since the word is out.... as one of the "Beta" testers for the last 3+ versions, 00.CC is far the best one yet,as most of us are aware,not 100% perfect but if the 530 came out with CC in its inception I believe 99.9% of us would have been happy campers & would not have to look to a site like DHC for any kind of help. I for one am very pleased with the way *C has handled the "updates" maybe not the "unveiling" of the 530...but we were all crying for it so they gave it to us...good for *C.
As far as the software updates ,I for one was against early release to the "masses" because ,it was that Motorola would test new version for a small period of time , then Moto. & *C would test for a time, then it would release to the rest of the Beta testers. We would only test for the max of a week, I mentioned to them that I felt this was "too short" a period of time as I found "bugs" were coming out 7+ days after new software was downloaded. This time we were allowed 3 full weeks of testing, & except for the testing period where I was "trying" to lockup the unit where I had 3 or less lockups during that period...its been almost a full month with NO lockups what so ever, whereas with previous versions my tripcount would not get past 6-8 at the most, with 5-10 reboots a week, now trip count @ 20 & no reboots. So my theory is use it as intended,don't push it...its gonna be fine...bbas:cool:

#120 ·
ARR said:
So quit worrying about it, call Starchoice and request a demand download right away.
Life is to short to go through it with A8 or BC!
I tried to do that a week or more ago. I was told it couldn't be done. I was talking to a regular CS person. Should I have tried the Tech Support group?
(By the way, we're on A8 and have had a minimum amount of troubles - we couldn't imagine being without it!)

#121 ·
STARRATS said:
I tried to do that a week or more ago. I was told it couldn't be done. I was talking to a regular CS person. Should I have tried the Tech Support group?
You should absolutely speak to a Tech. If any receivers have been missed, they usually forward your account to a specific individual who will have your receiver targeted for the download, usually the same day.

#122 ·
Yes, I think a tech support person would be able to assist you better.
I think the CSR's are more into billing and package changes, while the TSR might be better at wrong channel maps, downloads and technical issues like that.
If that fails, try and ask for a supervisor and escalate it a wee bit at a time.

#123 ·
cellarboy said:
You should absolutely speak to a Tech. If any receivers have been missed, they usually forward your account to a specific individual who will have your receiver targeted for the download, usually the same day.
cellarboy said:
Well, first off, thank you for the advice!
I did call *C this afternoon and talked to Tech Support. Seems that the rolling out is being done by Motorola in California and it's out of their hands at this time. Oh well!

#124 ·
CC download? I'm back to A4

ARR said:
So quit worrying about it, call Starchoice and request a demand download right away.
Life is to short to go through it with A8 or BC!
My 530 which I had for the past 12 months gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. A replacement arrived quite promptly and fired up OK but it was loaded with A4. When it was brought online I was told to expect an upgrade within a day or so. A week later and it still has 00.A4 target 00.00. Another call to *C and I was told it would be upgraded eventually, and to call back if it hadn't happened by September! Perhaps I should stop paying until September as well to see if I get any better response!

#125 ·
To both the above posters, give them a call back and ask to speak to a technical supervisor. Roll outs of new firmware are usually around two week in duration for the HD receivers, so if you don't have the firmware by then, something was missed.

It happens every roll-out. For some reason certain receivers just aren't targetted. They can, and have in almost every deployment I can remember, compiled a list of missed receivers and (via a guy named Jasbir) forwarded those receivers to Motorola for immediate targetting.

Don't get thrown by that whole "it's being taken care of in California" line. The firmware is always deployed by Motorola in California (San Diego to be exact).

#126 ·
I am on A4 as well, on a receiver that was activated the day of the start of CC roll out. After 3 calls, I am still getting the same answer that the last receiver to get activited will get the new firmware last.

You would think that they could do an exception for A4 since I cannot record anything with it, but it has been over a week now, I have a $700 receiver that is just collecting dust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.