Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

July 18th: DSR530 Code CC Fixes, Features & Bugs

158K views 1K replies 167 participants last post by  NO-CRTC 
#1 ·
Check your target version tonight/tommorow.

As was posted here earlier and a C&P from another site that references a VP's response to a subscriber regarding the upcoming code:

The new feature set, if all passes, includes the following:

- Far improved operational stability for channel tuning (far few lock-ups during channel change -- in fact, so far we have seen none from that cause)
- Far improved timer performance for DVR recording, and for PPV recordings (again, so far no failures)
- Far improved performance for playback of DVR recordings (again, so far no failures)
- New sorting criteria for recordings
- A way to jump to identified times of recordings (i.e. 1 hour in)
For the majority of us that were on A8, this is great news as we'll finaly get the long sought after features that BC delivered to a selected few hundred.

For those of us on BC just waiting for the box to die after too many reboots, this should be a life saver.

Do check out all the new features in the beginning of the BC thread.

Enjoy the improved stability that CC brings.
Have faith that while not 100%, it's the closest the box has ever been and that new and exciting stuff is in the pipe.

From my experience in the past several weeks, what was quoted appears true for the most part.

Unfortunatly my source of information that gave me a closer view than most is no longer available.

Good luck and enjoy the efforts of many.

I'll still be around to help out as best I can.

See less See more
#52 ·
Well, it's funny, last night the 530 was acting funny. I was getting no signal to my projector with HDMI/dvi but my lcd was receiving Component picture ok....this happened once before....it might be my hdmi splitter....so I reset the 530 and all was well. My wife was trying to record a show that she was watching and then decided to start watching a prerecorded show....it didn't want to start playing....so I told her to switch away from the channel she was recording....then the prerecorded show worked fine. I thought this was a little odd as I never had that happen before. Then I went to delete the recording and I got a message asking me if I wanted to proceed! What the !#$#$^@$%#$%^

I hadn't been on the forum for a few days so I instantly realised I must have new code!!!!

Quickly went to view the code and there it was current version CC.

Wow....don't check the forums for a couple of days and presto!!!

So Either my hdmi switch messes things up or sometimes the 530 might have to be reset to output dvi.

Watching a recording the same show on the same channel at the same time and then trying to watch a prerecorded show while still on that channel may cause the prerecorded show to not play.....give it a try people. Just switching channels made it all ok.

Perhaps some of these initial bugs might be as someone (Cellar) suggested the result of playing shows recorded on A8 using CC. Time will tell.

All in all....GREAT NEWS!!!!!

#53 ·
Target CC not there any more!

Hi - I think we missed out on the CC code because of the storm that hit the Peterborough area Monday night. Our power was off until 3:30am Tuesday morning. On Tuesday evening, I checked the System Status and the Target version was CC. This morning, Wednesday, we're still at A8 and the Target Version is 00.

Did this happen to anyone else? I wonder if I should call *C?

#54 ·
Mike said:
In the DVR List screen you can toggle between DURATION / NAME / DATE - this allows you to change the sorting method.

One thing that now appears to be working again for me is Called ID. All the other features mentioned above also appear to be working for me.

Thank you *C
Thanks Mike,
but how do you toggle between the catagories? I even phoned Star Choice on this and they couldn't figure it out either.

#55 ·
STARRATS said:
Hi - I think we missed out on the CC code because of the storm that hit the Peterborough area Monday night. Our power was off until 3:30am Tuesday morning. On Tuesday evening, I checked the System Status and the Target version was CC. This morning, Wednesday, we're still at A8 and the Target Version is 00.

Same with me, execpt without the storm. Went to bed last night with the unit off and Target Version was CC. This morning, A8 with Target Version 00. :confused:

#59 ·
I had one incident last night where the RESUME function did not work properly.

I was almost finished viewing the recording and i press the STOP button by mystake, and the show resumed at the middle of the recording. I tested it a few times, but i could not recreate the problem.

With A8, the RESUME function was not reliable at all. Certainly, the most anoying problem for me as i did not suffer too much for lockups.

#60 ·
Live TV Pause Observation

I have owned my 530 since July 05 and would never go back. I got and survied BC and now CC seems to be working well on my machine. I did notice one particular feature of the 530 that has not changed with CC. It's been with the machine from the start and I always ask about it when there is a SW upgrade,, but I'm starting to think it is not a bug, but simply the way the machine works. This concerns the jump-back that occurs when you pause live TV. The jump back is 25 to 30 seconds so you never really pause live tv, you simply jump back 25 to 30 seconds and sit paused at that point. After this did not change with CC I started to think about it and I realized that the amount of time for the jump back is roughly the same amount of time that has to pass before the pause feature will work after changing to a new channel. This seems to be a necassary delay that is required to get enough of a buffer in order for the machine to pause. I think that it is probably a design feature in that the hard drive cannot access stored data that is less then 30 seconds from real time. Thus the 30 second delay before the pause feature begins to work as well as the 30 sec "jump back" that occurs when the machine is asked to pause in real time are basically from the same cause. This is not a problem when playing a stored recording from the hard drive because a recording on the hard drive is a file that the machine can access any point within. This isn't a major problem with me, and I suspect it probably cannot be fixed,, but it is interesting that when people list some of their concerns the "jump back" action is one that does not seem to get mentioned. Do Bell and or TVO units do the same thing? Thanks

#61 ·
STARRATS said:

Yeah, call 'em and have them force CC to your box overnight. They should be able to do it no problem!

#62 ·
My Bell, Tivo, Replay and Cable HD PVR doesn't skip back like the 530 does.
But initialy they had problems with a driver doing read after writes and everything you saw was buffered through the hard drive as you might expect.

Not unlike a true UPS, where you are 100% power off battery, but the A.C. manins are on and charging it at the same time.

The workaround was to drop from a live data stream and into the hard drive buffer.
That's why there is some buffer sizing and delay issues.

It operates more like a standby power supply, that is on AC mains until the power goes and then switches over to batteries.

I hope you get my analogy.

I had requested that they re-vist that again after some other bugs were flushed out. Hopefully, but I have no leverage anymore.

In the upcoming new IPG, the DVR sort is much cleaner implemented with the button renamed to SORT and indicators that show what is being sorted and if ascending or descending.

For those that 'missed' CC, don't worry.
Chances are they targeted a few thousand new ones each day.
At the end of the run, up to a week maybe, then ALL remaining will get it as it will be the only 530 code in the stream.

#63 · (Edited)
distox said:
Same with me, execpt without the storm. Went to bed last night with the unit off and Target Version was CC. This morning, A8 with Target Version 00. :confused:
I wonder if they have pulled CC. With BC only a few got it on a slow roll out. This time around, it seemed everyone got it - except for the few cases now popping up. Both cases were targeted for CC, then un-targeted. I've not heard of that before.

Any new activations out there?

I have also noticed that skip-fwd is slower. But cleaner jumps.

#64 ·
Yeah, I also noticed that there seems to be a little lag in the skip forward button. Is this a strategy to reduce the lockups some people reported when holding down the skip button?

Glad someone explained that you can punch in a number...say 20 and then hit skip to skip forward 20 minutes.....same as back....never would have figured that one out.

For those waiting to get the new code....does doing a soft reboot trigger a download? I just noticed cc after a reboot so I wondered.

#65 ·
I have encountered 1 bug... when I press Options-6-4-6 I get booted out the the menu. This happen to anyone else?

Other than that my 530 seems to be working fine after a full day of playing with it. I've been home on holidays this week. I haven't been able to make it crash yet although it did reboot by itself during a channel surf yesterday afternoon but thats been about it.

So far I am pleased with the unit again.

#66 ·
smp01 said:
I wonder if they have pulled CC. With BC only a few got it on a slow roll out. This time around, it seemed everyone got it - except for the few cases now popping up. Both cases were targeted for CC, then un-targeted. I've not heard of that before.

Any new activations out there?

I have also noticed that skip-fwd is slower. But cleaner jumps.
I called *C a couple of hours ago. The CS person had to check his e-mails but he said there is a roll out that can take until July 28 to complete. He said he couldn't target my machine to receive the CC version. I thought they could?

#67 ·
Tup said:
Yeah, I also noticed that there seems to be a little lag in the skip forward button. Is this a strategy to reduce the lockups some people reported when holding down the skip button?

Glad someone explained that you can punch in a number...say 20 and then hit skip to skip forward 20 minutes.....same as back....never would have figured that one out.

For those waiting to get the new code....does doing a soft reboot trigger a download? I just noticed cc after a reboot so I wondered.
Just noticed your third paragraph TUP - yes, the CC Target Version showed up after a Power off/On. I had to do that after the power was out for a few hours. The 530 didn't manage to boot itself up without the unplug/plug. Maybe I'll try a soft reset before I go to bed.

#68 ·
GaryE said:
Why would you need to hold down the FF? Just pressing the FF 3 times gets you to the end much faster.
Why should the system crash if you hold it for more then a few seconds?

This is just one example of a lockup. Today I had two more.

Just stopping a recording and going back to the guide turned my Satellight indicator red. System recovered only with a simple power off and on.

Just starting another recording (done with CC) and hitting the FF button once locked up the system. Only recovery was a soft reset.

Unfortunately these are random occurrences which I can not seem to duplicate them when I try repeated times. Eventually someone Will find the right sequence.:rolleyes:

#69 ·
Trixxstrr said:
The one thing I noticed today was that the skip forward seems to be a little sluggish now. Where it used to instant skip forward and I could go skip skip skip, now it takes a half second for each skip to go.
I noticed this too. It now takes 1 to 2 seconds for a skip to process. However it used to take a lot longer when the Infrared was blocked (RF only Mode) you had to hold the button down to register the skip. Now it takes the same time. The unit seem to indicate immediately that the button was pushed (infrared or RF) so you only need to tap the button and just wait for 2 seconds for it to process.

Slower but a little more consistent.:rolleyes:

#70 ·
Some CC Observations

It looks like the 4 x FF is now working fast on compressed and non-compressed recordings. Okay at least this gives me a work around for the picture scrambling with the Skip forward button is held on compressed shows.

It also looks like they did not fix the delay you get when you hit the Record button for a show in the guide that has a conflict. PLEASE DON'T FIX THIS. It is a quick way to check for conflicts with out going through layers of menus. ie. Press the record button if the disk record icon does not appear immediately press the record button again to cancel then move on to another time shifted channel to find the same show.

#71 ·
Fast forwarding to live T.V.

I've got the new CC version as well, I haven't really had any time to fully try it out, but I do notice some problems like others have mentioned here. For example, it doesn't immediately pause live t.v. until at least 30 seconds into a newly tuned channel. As well, if you fast forward or skip forward through a program you have previously paused until you get "live" t.v. the picture will freeze. You can "unfreeze" it if you skip back once so that you have 30 seconds in the buffer and it's O.K. Again never happens with a previously recorded program. I'm going to really try it out tonight but I do hope with future downloads they fix the problems with the pause. I had an ExpressVu PVR before and it was never a problem - surely it should be an easy fix for *C.

#72 ·
GaryE said:
I have encountered 1 bug... when I press Options-6-4-6 I get booted out the the menu. This happen to anyone else?
I'm getting this problem as well.

The other thing that I noticed was the "Jump to" feature does not work. The time range for my recording is 00 to 00 and if I enter any time frame it jumps out of the menu back to live TV. This appears to be the same whether it's an A8 or CC recording.

#74 ·
CC Code and still have to reboot

Have the new code and still am getting sound and video dropouts despite a factory reset after the new code was installed. I have not dared to use the "previous Channel button" for several months because of the freezes it caused. Now that I have the new code figured i would give it a try. Guess what, the unit froze instantly so had to hold the power button on for a reboot.
Lester

#75 ·
I noticed the new CC was downloading on Monday night. Last night I recorded a show to watch later. The timer worked fine, the show recorded, but when I was watching it later I noticed whenever I skipped forward or backward during the recorded show the jump was very rough. It would skip forward 30 and then another 20 or so as it found the show. If it went too far (which was often) I would skip back and it would go 50 seconds or so and I'd have to wait for the show....blah blah blah. It was not this rough with A8. Later I was watching a TCM movie and the unit froze and changed the channel...ALL BY ITSELF :eek:

Strange stuff....

#76 ·
FF too Fast?

I like the new features that cc has given us (especially entering a certain amount of time to jump back and forth during a program and finally naming the programs in the set timer menu.
One thing that I don't like is the speed of the FF on the first press. We were watching a recorded program the other night and during commercials I would hit the skip button 2 or 3 times (set for 60 secs) which would by pass over them and put me back into the program. I would then hit REW because I went a little to far and needed to back up a bit to resume watching the show where the last commercial ended.
It seemed almost impossible to stop the video at the spot where you want to resume because it is travelling so fast it basically over shoots the stop point. I think the slowest FF speed in the previous A8 code did a better job at pin pointing where you stopped. The first press needs to be slowed down a tad in cc.
Other than this, the new code seems to be much better as I have been pushing this and pushing that and so far no resets. (Knocking on wood!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.