Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dec 12th: DSR530 Code BC Fixes, Features & Bugs

93K views 625 replies 105 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
So now that the new code is out, I think a new thread might be in order since, hopefully, many of the issues in the old thread are resolved.

I'm also of how existing owners would rank the DSR530. It seems, judging from the feedback on this forum that the DSR530 that this product was a dog when it first came out. (The fact that Star Choice called me repeatedly asking me to shut down the threads and posters also was a clue!)

So how would you rank the product now and what issues remain unresolved?

#129 ·
I used Dialogue Zone last night as well, and received notice that they will be doing the upgrade this afternoon. I can see the display on the front of the unit counting upwards, presumably counting packets or bytes of transfer. I'm looking forward to testing the upgraded code.

#136 ·
henryk said:
If you happen to write them down in one list, maybe you could share them here? They are scattered throughout the thread and it would be a great help for those of us who are waiting and waiting and waiting....;)
Here's a list with some of the features I have been able to test (these are from the original posts by other members)....please add/update...

1. ..... Press "Info" and then select a new "2 Go To" menu item and then enter 120 which would take me 1 minute 20 seconds (or 120 seconds whichever is more intuitive) into the recording. No need to fast forward, skip etc. This works in HOURS:MINUTES

2. .... What if we had a feature where if you are watching a live/recorded show and I press 10 (1 then 0 buttons) and then the Skip Backward button, the show would Skip Backwards 100 seconds (Assuming the default 10 sec Skip Backward). This allows you to for example skip an advert where you are normally pressing the Skip Forward button 6 times, press 6 then Skip Forward. It would be limited to 99 auto presses as 3 numbers would select a channel.

3. .... the receiver has problems playing back when there is no tuner input - you need to turn off the buffer to solve the problem.

4. Confirmation of Delete shows.

5. .....A browse bar that goes beyond the next program and a time remaining clock in playback and stuff.

6.Wrong show does not Pop Up when DELETING shows. Also, CONFIRMATION Message is displayed when deleting.

7. RESUME function works properly

8. ....some sort of time clock available while you are watching recorded programs, so that you can know how much you have watched and how much you have left.

#138 ·
Here are some more...

sekhon55 said:
1. "..... Press "Info" and then select a new "2 Go To" menu item and then enter 120 which would take me 1 minute 20 seconds (or 120 seconds whichever is more intuitive) into the recording. No need to fast forward, skip etc. " This works in HOURS:MINUTES

2. ".... What if we had a feature where if you are watching a live/recorded show and I press 10 (1 then 0 buttons) and then the Skip Backward button, the show would Skip Backwards 100 seconds (Assuming the default 10 sec Skip Backward). This allows you to for example skip an advert where you are normally pressing the Skip Forward button 6 times, press 6 then Skip Forward. It would be limited to 99 auto presses as 3 numbers would select a channel."

3. ".... the receiver has problems playing back when there is no tuner input - you need to turn off the buffer to solve the problem."

4. Confirmation of Delete shows.

5. ".....A browse bar that goes beyond the next program and a time remaining clock in playback and stuff."

6.Wrong show does not Pop Up when DELETING shows. Also, CONFIRMATION Message is displayed when deleting.

7. RESUME function works properly

8. TIME REMAINING: "....some sort of time clock available while you are watching recorded programs, so that you can know how much you have watched and how much you have left."

9. PPV Advance Buy and Record

10. RECORDING EVENTS TITLE: "...In the RECORDING EVENTS (OPTIONS - 5) it would be nice if the machine picked up the title of the show instead of just the channel and time of the show. It makes it difficult to know if you already have selected a show for recording. Even the INFO button does not do anything on that screen."

11. "...I LOVE the fact that the machine remembers your position that you left off at in all recordings. That is one thing that the Scientific Atlanta PVR did not do. If you stopped a recording and started playing another recording, you would lose your place."

12. FUTURE: "......The guide for the 530 series will be pushed ahead from 3 days to 2 weeks. I think it will be included in this download. ...it's not coming next week or next month even but maybe in the summer or @ the end of the year!"

13. Skip Foward in GUIDE: Press Skip Forward and Guide Jumps by 1 days

#140 ·
More BC features...one lockup

Some more BC features:

14. OPTIONS, MUSIC SETTINGS now has SCREENSAVER TIMER option

15. OPTIONS, 6-4-8-1, DVR settings has a RESERVED setting (don't know what it does)

16. Broken Recordings indicate the Reason for the same (in my case power failure)

I suffered from the first lockup after BC upgrade today. I moved from a channel out of my favorites settings (298) to another in my favorites settings (293). After that, the receiver was locked at 293...green satellite, but does not respond to the remote. I had to reset it to get control back.

#141 ·
hemidart said:
Just got a forced BC download.

Anyone else notice a screen flicker when entering option 4 system settings, and then slow response when in option 7 system status?

I never had this with A8.
Yes...I saw the same multiple times. Options 6-4-7 is very slow to respond to remote commands. All other screens have no response issues. My Tuner 2 strength displays 0, until I actually record a Live feed and stop it....then I get the proper reading .

#145 ·
I had a lock-up yesterday after attempting to play a PPV movie that failed to record before the upgrade.

I just noticed, unlike the non-HD receivers, the 530 doesn't color-code the types of programs (green for sports, purple for movies). I kinda miss that.

Incidentally, I'm using the DVI interface, and I haven't experienced any problems at all since A0. I'm loving the picture quality on all channels.

From what I've read, the receiver still has some issues with exception handling that are causing the unit to lock-up. BC is pretty solid, but there's still some room to go.

#146 ·
Live TV Pause???

As many others have reported I got my BC yesterday by emailing the request to the dialog zone. My unit was updating when I got home. Most of the new features are nice improvements and hopefully the unit will be more stable. However with all the improvements I still have a problem pausing live tv. When I pause live TV it jumps back and pauses 25 seconds in the past. This is the same as A8 used to do. If I resume watching from the pause point subsequent pauses are OK, however is not the point of the pause button to freeze the picture, not jump back and freeze. BTW the pause does work correctly with recorded material. It's a minor problem but I was hoping that it would have been addressed in this update. Is anyone else seeing this, or is this it perhaps just a glitch in my machine? Thanks

#148 ·
Got my BC upgrade yesterday after pratically threatening SC via Dialogue Zone. Anyway, had another lock up last night, the channel wouldn't change and the front power button wouldn't work. Had to do the usual reset. Great start!

-Mike

#150 ·
It would be very helpful if there was a sticky thread with JUST the fixes/features that are covered in the BC code, instead of having to go through a number of posts about "I haven't got the code yet" and "I've got the code" and "How do I get the new code"

I think that was the original intension of this thread....

#151 ·
Is it possible the "skip back" thing when you Pause is actually intended to be a feature? My PC-based PVR automatically starts from a couple of seconds back when you pause live TV so you don't miss anything. Maybe this is what the 530 is trying to do, but differences in compression or framerates are causing it to jump back more than it is supposed to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.