Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dec 12th: DSR530 Code BC Fixes, Features & Bugs

93K views 625 replies 105 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
So now that the new code is out, I think a new thread might be in order since, hopefully, many of the issues in the old thread are resolved.

I'm also of how existing owners would rank the DSR530. It seems, judging from the feedback on this forum that the DSR530 that this product was a dog when it first came out. (The fact that Star Choice called me repeatedly asking me to shut down the threads and posters also was a clue!)

So how would you rank the product now and what issues remain unresolved?

#29 ·
Called Starchoice and talked to a TSR to see if I could get the download tonight. I have a lot of complaints on record of failed recordings and lock ups but that didn't make any difference. He said that Motorola was sending a hit out to only a select 500 receivers. If my receiver was not one of those lucky 500 that I would have to wait until Jan 3rd for the download. Hope I get it in the next night or two cause Jan 3rd seems like a long wait.

Wade

#32 ·
That's the same message I got from the CSR. 500 are scheduled for tonight and the rest by early Jan. The first CSR I talked to a few hours ago assured me that nobody has the new download yet as the first were to go out tonight. I was finally able to convince him that some must have it as I could tell him the version number and some of the fixes, thanks to the info here. He told me there wasn't anything he could to get me on a list for an early download.
I just got off the phone with a second CSR and while she said there were no guaranties, she'd email the tech dept and see if I could get targeted early rather than later.
Here's hoping!

#35 ·
I accidently bumped the Jump key while surfing the grid guide and it jump a day ahead.

I tried it again, and sure enough 24 hours, left or right and the 6 hour FF/REW still works.

Checked the other keys out as well and the pause and play buutons do stuff too.

It looks like one takes you 299 or maybe 298 if you've set up French and the other looks like a Home button.

I was several channels away from where I started and 2 days forward and it brought me back the the time and channel I was on.

I suppose that's better than exiting the guide and starting over, but the 24 hour grid jump is handy.

#37 ·
My wife took over the tv so I can't play with the 530, so I decided to go revisit old threads. Came across this one.
Btw what happened to DKS?

dks said:
…Another feature I would like to see is TIME REMAINING while viewing a show. If it is only 10 minutes, I might stay and watch the rest. If it is 30 minutes I might want to go to bed.
Yep, its in the bc version. It gets awhile to get used to, but it is not bad at all. It actually works well with recrded events. It makes sense to show the time backwards.

In the RECORDING EVENTS (OPTIONS - 5) it would be nice if the machine picked up the title of the show instead of just the channel and time of the show. It makes it difficult to know if you already have selected a show for recording. Even the INFO button does not do anything on that screen.
I can't praise enough this fix...waited so long for it. :)

It would be nice to have a feature that could jump to the end of the recording in case you wanted to jump to the credits - or to confirm that you have recorded the entire show.
It's there as well. It's awesome.

I LOVE the fact that the machine remembers your position that you left off at in all recordings. That is one thing that the Scientific Atlanta PVR did not do. If you stopped a recording and started playing another recording, you would lose your place.
This seems to be fixed as well. I tried it a few times and it worked great.

I have to say that overall, at this time, this version might be the golden version for the 530. After this, only dual recording is missing. :)

#38 ·
I've heard from tech support that IPPV order should be alot better, you can pre-order now? Dunno, haven't tested yet. They did advise that if you go to it manually, press record to start the recording, and switch off the channel in the first 15 minutes, you risk cancelling the IPPV order, but a pre-ordered timer for tuner 2 should work ok. Can anyone confirm this? My shaw phone is giving my problems ATM.

#39 ·
Advanced PPV Purchases

I went the the guide and clicked record on a future PPV.
It walked me through a screen or two and then made an entry in the timer list screen.

The PPV also showed a dollarsign icon next to just the PPV event.

It recorded it as scheduled and it seems to play just fine from the dvr list.

Not much of a PPV fan, but good to get the disk loaded with some content for the xmas re-run season, which seemed to have started tonight for some reason. What's up with that?

#41 ·
List, what list?

You may have to wait a long time unless *c has changed their ways.
Pssst!, it's all a secret you know! is their modis operandi

Lots of people playing with it and will report their findings, don't worry.
I'm sure not much will get by the group here, it never does.

Just too bad for all those that jumped ship, I think they are missing out.

#43 ·
I don't see anything different in the way it behaves now, just like before.
I was told they could not make it work like the legacy for patent reasons.

Alledgedly, some fee was paid for all the existing legacy guide units, but not the new ones.

As I understand the issue, isn't it a case of using either the parental control channel lock or the favourites to try and simulate a sort of all-subscribed guide?

I think there was some discussion in another thread about a possible workaround in a later release by attempting some form of all subscribed channel scan that should fit the bill a whole lot better.

Nothing like that yet though.

#44 ·
ARR said:
I went the the guide and clicked record on a future PPV.
It walked me through a screen or two and then made an entry in the timer list screen.

The PPV also showed a dollarsign icon next to just the PPV event.

It recorded it as scheduled and it seems to play just fine from the dvr list.

Not much of a PPV fan, but good to get the disk loaded with some content for the xmas re-run season, which seemed to have started tonight for some reason. What's up with that?
Wow, so they've really covered off everything!
I'm excited about that feature specifically because that will be a big one when it moves to the DSR500 and 505 receivers.

I guess with the money Star Choice saved not having to run their own focus groups for new features and bug fixes (;)), they decided to get the release out early!

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
wade said:
Called Starchoice and talked to a TSR to see if I could get the download tonight. I have a lot of complaints on record of failed recordings and lock ups but that didn't make any difference. He said that Motorola was sending a hit out to only a select 500 receivers. If my receiver was not one of those lucky 500 that I would have to wait until Jan 3rd for the download. Hope I get it in the next night or two cause Jan 3rd seems like a long wait.

Wade
Yes your right, only 500 people will be getting the first download starting tonight at 2 am. After that they will see how the receivers are acting and if there are no major problems.

Currently there has only been around 12 receivers with BC on it in a test centre which is not real testing. For this reason they are sending it to 500 Random people picked from a list of people who own 530 receivers. Then after a couple of days have passed will they start releasing the software update to the rest of the public.

As for how many fixes and new features were added/changed let's just say the number is around the 200 mark. From what i have heard about the 12 systems that have had BC on it... it blows A8 out of the water. Sooo smooth so nice and less of a hassle to deal with!

I am sure everything will be more then happy to get this upgrade, all you need to do is wait about a week or so.

HammerJoe said:
Good idea, everybody should call *c and flood with requests for the new firmware.
That's a great idea, that way when you call you get a 60 min wait time for them to tell you wait a week and you should have the software!

No matter how many times you call or who you talk to, the list of the first 500 have been made and your not getting on it even if you were the prez of SC

I will give you all a little info that might make you happy!

The guide for the 530 series will be pushed ahead from 3 days to 2 weeks. I think it will be included in this download. So it should give everyone i fun time searching and setting timers. They will need to get the company who does the guide to include extra info but with this added thing coming... You can tell they are getting ready to release searchable guides.... just something to think about ... it's not coming next week or next month even but maybe in the summer or @ the end of the year!

#50 · (Edited)
I'm confused

SCman said:
...As for how many fixes and new features were added/changed let's just say the number is around the 200 mark.
That sure seems like a lot. The real questions is how many are actually visible, maybe a dozen or 2 or 3?

SCman said:
...The guide for the 530 series will be pushed ahead from 3 days to 2 weeks. I think it will be included in this download. ...it's not coming next week or next month even but maybe in the summer or @ the end of the year!
That will enable all sorts of good things, but first you talk about it being included in this download and then you say next summer or end of the year.?????

SCman said:
Currently there has only been around 12 receivers with BC on it in a test centre which is not real testing.
That doesn't sound like near enough. Maybe that was Alpha testers.
A real Beta test would be 100+ I would hope.

SCman said:
...Sooo smooth so nice and less of a hassle to deal with!

I am sure everything will be more then happy to get this upgrade, all you need to do is wait about a week or so.
Now thats sounds like a real Star Choicer!! Hmm, SCman

Anyway, it all sounds like very positive news. I just hope everyone agrees with you. I'm sure they will. It's pretty great compared to A8, but there will always be some room for improvement. Heck, it's not even a year old yet.

#51 ·
ARR & SCman,

Why doesn't SC just tell us this stuff rather than all the cloak and dagger?

ExpressVu used to post on a separate channel that the receiver was updated and the highlights of the release.

Why doesn't Star Choice do the same?

Readers here want to know so why no just tell us?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.