Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dec 12th: DSR530 Code BC Fixes, Features & Bugs

93K views 625 replies 105 participants last post by  hugh 
#1 · (Edited)
So now that the new code is out, I think a new thread might be in order since, hopefully, many of the issues in the old thread are resolved.

I'm also of how existing owners would rank the DSR530. It seems, judging from the feedback on this forum that the DSR530 that this product was a dog when it first came out. (The fact that Star Choice called me repeatedly asking me to shut down the threads and posters also was a clue!)

So how would you rank the product now and what issues remain unresolved?

#2 ·
Way Cool!

osmosis said:
I have a few suggestions for navigation features:

1. I would like the ability to go to a specific point in a recording by time.

i.e. Press "Info" and then select a new "2 Go To" menu item and then enter 120 which would take me 1 minute 20 seconds (or 120 seconds whichever is more intuitive) into the recording. No need to fast forward, skip etc.

2. What if we had a feature where if you are watching a live/recorded show and I press 10 (1 then 0 buttons) and then the Skip Backward button, the show would Skip Backwards 100 seconds (Assuming the default 10 sec Skip Backward). This allows you to for example skip an advert where you are normally pressing the Skip Forward button 6 times, press 6 then Skip Forward. It would be limited to 99 auto presses as 3 numbers would select a channel.

I don't think that these would be that difficult to implement? What do others think?
I don't believe it, somebody is actually listening.
It's almost exactly what this guy asked for, except it's in minutes and not seconds.

There's a ton more, got to get back and play some more.

#3 ·
satellite said:
Just a thought, but I know the receiver has problems playing back when there is no tuner input - you need to turn off the buffer to solve the problem.
If you do that, are you able to playback properly?
I was nice outside, so I went to put up the Christmas lights and my ladder bumped the dish out a fair bit.

Damn, no signal message, so I decided to see if I could play back some stuff while I mustered up to tackle a dish alignment and it just started to play. No annoying signal lost nag screens or any funkey button pushes needed.

That'l be sweet at the cottage next summer until I put an extra dish up or during rain fade.

#4 ·
Shhhhhhhweeeeeeeeeeeet

osmosis said:
I have a very simple request.

I would like a dialog that asks the use to confirm the deletion of a recorded show. I am always inadvertantly deleting shows because of too many key presses in the buffer. i.e. A simple "Are you sure you want to delete the show" request from the system. This could also have an option in the setup to enable or disable the dialog.

I realize that there is the option to lock a show, but I don't generally lock my recordings because they are transient.
Sweet...confirmation request box is now included! This code is looking very good. Back to some more testing for me. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

#5 ·
I don't believe it, somebody is actually listening.
It's almost exactly what this guy asked for, except it's in minutes and not seconds.

There's a ton more, got to get back and play some more.
Gee, I wonder who ARR works for?

#6 ·
Just like the legacies

ARR said:
I don't think anything really earth shattering, but maybe a browse bar that goes beyond the next program and a time remaining clock in playback and stuff. They seem like fairly trivial things to toss in while fixing a few bugs.
Was never a big legacy receiver fan, but it seems the extended browse bar capability may have some use after all.

#9 ·
They must be doing a selective download then.
Small groups each day or something.
It comes overnight.
Put your unit into standby tonight.
It can take up to 7 days to get it.

Instead of the 12 days of Christmas, it's the 7 days of Christmas and Starchoice is playing Santa.

I'm delerious, it's been so long since anything new.

Ooh, Ooh here's one:

dks said:
The wrong show pops up for deletion for me too quite often now. When it happens, the red satellite symbol comes on and I lose audio too. Usually the channel display on the 530 reads " 0". I've learned not to press ENTER until I verify the show that's being deleted. One time even though I double-checked, I still deleted a show that I didn't want to delete. Why? I had 2 versions of "Six Feet Under", and when the first version ended, it brought up version 2 to be deleted. I figured it was the same version as it said, "Six Feet Under" on the screen. So I deleted it. When I played the remaining S.F.U. it started playing the episode I just watched over again. I guess double-checking is not fool proof either.
At least now the right show pops up AND I get a confirm delete message AND I get episode information.
Hot Damn!

#11 ·
JoBel said:
Are you saying that StarC send us new code,,,,but here in quebec it's the same again ?
I don't think they would single out one Province of this great country for not sending new code to. Maybe I got it because I complained so much to them, and they have all the calls written down on my account? Don't know for sure, all I know is I have it, the code under 6-4-7 is 00.BC

Maybe it takes them a while to send out the code to everyone, I'm not sure, maybe if you call them they'll send it to ya.

#12 ·
JoBel said:
Can you tell us if the Interface is change or the just fixing the bugs ? And what is the new code number on the 6 4 7.
The interface seems pretty much the same old, but a few extras.
Some of the things that used to goof up are gone.

Looks to be both a fix & feature release from what I can tell so far.

dks said:
7. The RESUME feature does not commence at the same spot where you left off in a show. It will jump ahead 30 seconds to 5 minutes ahead forcing you to rewind the show until you get to where you REALLY left off.
It looks darn close now, maybe even dead on.

One think I did spot I was a bit disappointed in was that TRICK plays work very very well in DVR playback, but in LOD mode, a bit iffy on occasion.

Now if you PAUSE it first, then it seems to be OK.
That I can live with for now...

#13 ·
NO-CRTC said:
Sweet...confirmation request box is now included! This code is looking very good. Back to some more testing for me. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I just got in can confirm that I have BC too. So far I'm also very pleased to see the delete confirmation box. That was one thing I wanted bad too. Now no worries about deleting something by mistake.

Also I just checked my call display. It recorded a couple of calls perfectly.

Anything else fixed?

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, glad you mentioned the caller ID thing. I almost forgot about it since it wasn't working for me on A8, I had shut it off. I just turned it on and had my nephew give me a call, and it works GREAT! So they fixed the caller ID thing as far as my area is concerned. I've also been playing with some recorded shows, and ARR is correct, when you resume, it really does resume at the right spot, instead of 15-30 minutes ahead. So far, so good!!

#15 ·
Another thing that didn't take me too long to notice is that now when I exit from watching a pre-recorded show I can press "go back" to the DVR list and it now specifies the time remaining for SD and HD. Not a big deal but I used to have to exit right out from the dvr list and press it again for time remaining.

#16 ·
I Like This

quimbysjody said:
I would like to see some sort of time clock available while you are watching recorded programs, so that you can know how much you have watched and how much you have left.
Nice to know how much time is left in case your'e trying to get a show finished before the top of the hour to watch something live while recording another.

#17 ·
HammerJoe said:
Here's another sugestion.

I created a timer that is 90minutes and three shows are recorded.

It would be neat if I could jump 30minutes backwards or forwards.

Here's the idea for that to work, user would press ff/rw once and then press jump forward/backwards to skip 30 minutes.
Joe, you are going to LOVE this. Jump to feature!! And it works well. I'm giving this a good going over, and also no lock ups at all so far.

#19 ·
NO-CRTC said:
Joe, you are going to LOVE this. Jump to feature!! And it works well. I'm giving this a good going over, and also no lock ups at all so far.

I really like this new feature. I can now start playing back a 60 minute recording and skip 40 minutes into the recording by simply pressing 40 and skip forward. You can now instantly skip forward and back any number of minutes you want.

#22 ·
GaryE said:
Does it lock up after watching a recorded show when it tries to go back to the live broadcast?
Seems to be OK doing that so far, but it's early.

Oh, and someone asked the version, it says 00.BC in Options 6-4-7 anyway.
I suppose each day, check your TARGET version and then turn it off THAT night.

Maybe, if you don't see it in a few days, than call and tell them you've had some problems, maybe that's the secret. I think sombody suggested that already.

#23 ·
ARR,

You've posted 8 times in 22 posts. Rather than pretending to be a "consumer", please simply post what you know and allow members to comment.

#24 ·
Just spoke with CSR.

A few months ago I complained about DVI not working. I remember at the time the CSR said a new software update would be due middle of December. I said fine thanks. So I called back with the premiss to get a status update on the conversation of a couple months ago. (Zero wait time!) She put me on hold and came back to say that ALL of the 500 series machines are due for update tonight over night. She even mentioned 500, 505 and 530 specifically.

My unit still says A8 target 00, so I'm not holding my breath. I will reset my machine, tune to 299, and place in standby before bed tonight even though she said I didn't have to do anything except wait.

To Hugh's original question. I am very happy with my unit. I have no problems recommending, and people who have bought on my recommendations, are happy. My kids love it in that shows that go past their bedtime (AmazingRace) can be viewed later.

Most people are still of the mindset that a recorded show is a pain to set up and the quality of the recording will not be as good as the original. Until I show them.

#25 · (Edited)
I'll be damned, I also got BC.

I've only played with for a couple hours, but it is working really good.

The delete confirmation window was long overdue. Nice.

I can't believe that you guys have not posted *YET* about the most important fix imo.

Show names are finally displayed on the timers list and also on the conflict timer window!
No big deal but nice to see it gone.

No lockups so far, it looks stable.
Also fixed a bug that I reported to *c, when opening the guide and closing it would lose video when watching HD content and trick mode.

#26 · (Edited)
NO-CRTC said:
No kidding. I've tried and it is awesome... I am using it constantly with recorded shows.
Hard to believe that they actually listened to my sugestion. wow

Resume also seems to be working great. It restarts where it should, not 15minutes ahead/back.

I remember someone mentioning that the dvr listing looked messy with dates and time overlapping. It's fixed, at least it looks much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.