Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Dumping Memory in StarChoice?

26K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  ARR 
#1 ·
Is it possible to Dump/Reset/Reboot the memory in StarChoice? Say that you lose/forget your password and want to put your Reciever to the factory original state.
I am not sure if the model of receiver is important or not in this procedure,if possible.
Help would be appreacated.
Thank you. :)

#27 ·
Not a lot I'm afraid.

Yoshi said:
... Does anyone know what can be edited in the memory windows?
A DC II box is quite secure by design.
On the DSR5XX series, on a certain Diags screen, if you hit INFO button, you will flush out all the guide data from the unit.
You see some numbers change that the memory was freed up.

That's about it I believe.

There have been some obsure published pages about using special interfaces that allow you to tweak the channel map, but that still doesn't defeat the DC II conditional access system to get you any television you aren't entitled to.

You can do basically the same thing from the manual tune screen in the hidden menu's.

Go play there if your a satellite DX'er with a motorized dish and understand all the techie stuff the screen alows you to diddle.

#28 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to wondering after I tried your tips if there were more so I started pushing buttons and I found the following:
Note that these menus can be access by other keys other then the ones I shown.
Options 6-7-7-0 (Advanced System Status)

Options 6-7-7-9-8
(Press NEXT to edit memory or GOBACK to exit)

Are there any more. I got a tendacy to want to know everything bout everything.,lol.
Thank You. Newfieplayer.

What is the current password.

#30 ·
For which series of products??

Those codes don't work on my 530 as expected.

They must be legacy codes.

In that case the PW might be 92121, the zip code for Moto San Diego where they were born.

I was referring to the 401 and other legacy receivers of the period.

What kind of data is saved in memory?

#33 ·
TMK, there is no public passcode for the memory edit screen.

As for what is there, nearly everything that is kept when power is removed, and is not directly security related.
Mostly it would be channel maps, TZ settings, and user preferences. I would think the guide flag and geographic exclustion code is in the security chip.

For the "hit" carousel, IME it used to occur every day during late evening, although my 301 took a couple days to get its hit last time I put it in service from storage. A packagae change might trigger a hit.

#36 ·
I don't believe that.

A factory reset is not capable of deleting a purchases.
It may remove them from being displayed.

Only a reportback that completes successfully can removed purchases fromthe box.

It's all part of the security of the DCII system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.