Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

TIVO & Starchoice

26K views 74 replies 28 participants last post by  saint912 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a TIVO & a Starchoice satellite system? Does the combination have the full TIVO functionality, or is it quite limited (i.e. SeasonPass doesn't work, etc.)? Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

#28 ·
classicsat said:
They cannot with a PC, so no such card exists for a PC.

The FTA cards can do HD BTW.
Please correct me if I'm wrong... I realize that no such PCI cards exist, but I don't think that's because they can't produce them (i.e., they are not limited from a technological standpoint). I would think that such a PCI card wouldn't be any more difficult to produce than the FTA ones currently on the market. I was suggesting that if any DTH company _did_ produce them, that they would likely sell a pile and I'd be one of the first in line to buy. Heck, I might even switch to Bell if they came out with one and *C didn't ;)

Haven't seen the HD-capable FTA cards in my web travels, but will keep my eyes open for them now. Thanks for the info. That would support my position that they are well situated (again, technologically) to create HD versions of such cards for HTPC integration.

#29 ·
The HD capable ones were software mode (Eg, Twinhan) and not the more expensive hardware mode (Hauppahe Nexus-S) ones.

Now Bell HD is QPSK, so they used to work until the N2 switchover.
Dish uses 8PSK on their HD and only the new DVB-S2 cards coming out have 8PSK tuners. Hard to find, expensive and not well supported yet.

So the reality today is, nothing is working.

By the time we figure that out, dish will be MPEG4 anyway, so maybe need some new codecs to graph.

I agree it would be way cool if your sat provider made such a card.
Then the PVR would be a slam dunk and different apps could be run and you could choose your features and skins like FTA is now.
With cablecard and DCII being made external now, all the tech limitations are gone.

#30 ·
The QPSK card could never legitimately get BEV, they used pirate software to illegally decode the channel.

The reason there are no pay TV tuner cards is not really technical, but that the studios and provider do not want their conent available on a PC in such a manner, at least not until they are very secure so that the content cannot be pirated. This would inclue CC capable PC tuners.

#31 ·
You are of course correct. Perhaps in the E.U. the content houses and distributers are less anal and allow the cards to be used with the Conditional Access modules.

This way they can maintain the control and the consumer gets what he needs as well.

I think a lot of piracy stems frm the forbidden fruit syndrome.

#32 ·
ARR said:
You are of course correct. Perhaps in the E.U. the content houses and distributers are less anal and allow the cards to be used with the Conditional Access modules.

This way they can maintain the control and the consumer gets what he needs as well.

I think a lot of piracy stems frm the forbidden fruit syndrome.
Agreed. If the MPAA-types had their way we'd only be able to purchase DVD's that self destructed 2.9 hours after removing them from their packaging; there'd be spyware on top of Windows allowing them to secretly tap into our PC's any time they want to scan for pirated mp3's and Divx... O.K., maybe I'm getting a bit carried away, but you get my point. There has to be some way to satisfy copyright concerns while still ensuring consumers get the technology that will integrate (well) into the digital living room.

#33 ·
csayers said:
I have had my Tivo hooked to my Starchoice for over a year now with some fancy hacking to get the guide data.
I started using our TiVo with Starchoice last Oct after TiVo added Starchoice guide data and Canadian postal codes... Was using it with our DSR 315 with no problems at all -- worked great.

I just upgraded to the HD DSR 505, and have it hooked up, but am having some issues with getting the TiVo set to broadcast the right IR/remote codes. After some fidling with it, I found one that seems to work most of the time, but occasionally sends the 505 to the wrong channel.

Anybody else with a 505 that has found a TiVo remote code that works well?

Thanks!!!

#34 ·
Provided you have your receivers themselves set to remote code 0000, the IR blaster codes for Tivo should be absolutely identical between the 315 and 505.

I've used the same IR blaster code from Tivo with a 305, 405 and 505. You might want to check the positioning of the blaster on the front of the 505 or the speed of the IR 'blast' on the Tivo, I do recal I had to change that to accomodate the slower response of the 505 to remote commands.

#36 ·
TiVo sells the service to Canadians (they don't actually sell IN Canada). TiVo themselves won't directly sell hardware to Canadians (You need to order it with a US credit card and have it divered to some point in the US), but some 3rd party vendors will sell and ship to Canadians.

#37 ·
Well... I fiddled with it some more and it appears to be working now (re-did the remote set-up wizard, and adjusted the IR blasters). Hopefully it keeps working (before it was working 85-90% of the time)...

As for TiVo service / sales in Canada... I'm in the US, but have StarChoice (and they think we live in BC...). One thing I've noticed is that if I actually lived in Canada, I could set the TiVo to record local basic cable and DirecTV or Dish network (they appear in the list of Sat services avail in Canada) -- even though they are illegal... In the US list of Sat services, StarChoice isn't listed. If it was, I could have it programmed for our local US basic cable using the TiVo tuner, and StarChoice over the IR blaster and S-video input. Oh well...

#38 ·
I have a DSR505 and as soon as I found out about the Tivo 7.2 software supporting Canadian providers I immediately got a standalone box. It has worked perfectly since I got it at the beginning of December with a minor guide glitch early on for a couple CTV locals. It was recording the wrong show which didn't match guide. It's not Tivo's fault as StarChoice's guide showed exactly the same information. Season passes work without a hitch.

I have a Humax Tivo DVD Recorder model. I use the Tivo Desktop PC software extensively. The capacity on the Humax is only "40 hrs" and I have it under extended warranty so I'm not going to mess with the hard drive yet. So, I use the Home Media Option to send all the excess programs I don't want to watch immediately onto my PC's extra 300GB hard drive. I have about 100 hours of programs stored on it right now. I also watch BSG and Canada's playing of it is a half season behind the US so I BT the current episode, convert it with a free Tivo conversion utility and send it right back to the Tivo to watch. I'm very happy to be able to archive hundreds of hours of programming to have access to it at any time. I record everything at best quality. Since I can move it off the box at any time I don't have to worry about running the box out of space.

#39 ·
ZBB said:
Anybody else with a 505 that has found a TiVo remote code that works well?

Thanks!!!
I don't have any IR issues at all. I'd also recommend that you rerun the IR setup every time you get a new software download on the Tivo. I've seen timing changes between the versions. (Probably to correct any problems in the past.) I'm running 7.2.2 right now.

#40 ·
Tivo

satellite said:
Hmm, I didn't realise TiVo was comming (or even available in) Canada. I'd have picked up a $99 box in the states had I known!

TIVO is functional here in Canada. But as far as I know you have to buy the box in the US. I heard they will be available here in Canada shortly...you know "shortly" could be a long time or a short time. :D

#41 · (Edited)
You are correct, Tivo isn't currently selling boxes to Canada. The rumors have been around that Tivo will be selling within Canada soon but on the Tivo Community site the Tivo corporate spokepeople have stated outright that there are no current plans for sales within Canada. Take that for whatever you feel it's worth.

There are dealers in the US that will sell and ship to Canada. Securing the box shouldn't be overly difficult. Dealing with a warranty claim would be a whole different situation.

Be advised that today Tivo announced a changed in its fees and service policies today. So, that could be a reason why Tivo is choosing not to chase Canadian equipment customers. Beginning next week, equipment obtained through them (and they're only going to sell the 80 hour box) will be subject to a monthly 'lease' approach with a required service period. An 80 hour box with a 1 year commitment would cost US$19.95/month out to to the same box with the 3 year commitment at $16.95/month. They are also eliminating the possibility of purchasing the lifetime service after early next week. There are NO multiple box discounts.

Purchasing a box through a retail outlet still allows for the $12.95/month service fee. If you are on the owned-box rate you can have the multiple box discount.

#43 ·
Avaloncourt said:
You are correct, Tivo isn't currently selling boxes to Canada. The rumors have been around that Tivo will be selling within Canada soon but on the Tivo Community site the Tivo corporate spokepeople have stated outright that there are no current plans for sales within Canada. Take that for whatever you feel it's worth.

There are dealers in the US that will sell and ship to Canada. Securing the box shouldn't be overly difficult. Dealing with a warranty claim would be a whole different situation.

Be advised that today Tivo announced a changed in its fees and service policies today. So, that could be a reason why Tivo is choosing not to chase Canadian equipment customers. Beginning next week, equipment obtained through them (and they're only going to sell the 80 hour box) will be subject to a monthly 'lease' approach with a required service period. An 80 hour box with a 1 year commitment would cost US$19.95/month out to to the same box with the 3 year commitment at $16.95/month. They are also eliminating the possibility of purchasing the lifetime service after early next week. There are NO multiple box discounts.

Purchasing a box through a retail outlet still allows for the $12.95/month service fee. If you are on the owned-box rate you can have the multiple box discount.

Wow all that and still not HD....

But the Tivo guide/Interface is the best thing to hit the PVR market....I speak from experience! I miss it.

Cheers

#46 ·
cellarboy said:
Provided you have your receivers themselves set to remote code 0000, the IR blaster codes for Tivo should be absolutely identical between the 315 and 505.

I've used the same IR blaster code from Tivo with a 305, 405 and 505. You might want to check the positioning of the blaster on the front of the 505 or the speed of the IR 'blast' on the Tivo, I do recal I had to change that to accomodate the slower response of the 505 to remote commands.
I want to thank you for this reply....I was going nuts trying to find the right IR codes for my DSR921..( it was set on 0001) thats why my tivo didn't respond to it.

I read your response after about 9 hours of trying different things and your suggestion about remote code 0000 turned out all aces for me....Thanks bud:cool:
Stephitimoe

#47 ·
Tivo is coming... really !

Tivo is coming to Best Buy, Future Shop, The Brick and London Drugs in mid December. Price is going to be $199 for the 80hr Series 2 DT. It is about time !:)

#50 ·
I've had a MythTV setup (with frontends elsewhere in the house) since March 2006. Works with a 401 without any problems.

Tried BeyondTV, Sage and cheaper Windows-based ones also. Very happy with my choice. Can you set up BeyondTV to be controlled via the Internet?

I have to check to see what else Tivo offers, besides a monthly bill.

-gmd

#52 ·
Will it record HD at all?

So does anyone here have a DSR505 & a Tivo Series 2 dual tuner?
If so can you actually record any of the HD channels? I know this model Tivo is SD.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.