Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 530 Discussion

81K views 507 replies 109 participants last post by  henryk 
#1 ·
Anyone else notice this?

I recently upgraded my home theatre system including a new audio receiver. Previously, I used the Stereo output on my receiver and audio levels between channels were fine.

I am now using the DVR530's Digital Optical Audio output into my receiver and the volume levels between channels, both HD and SD, are wildly inconsistent. Depending on the channel, I have to raise or lower the volume by 25 or more decibles just so that I can hear it.

This didn't happen with the Stereo output but now happens with the Digital Optical output.

#127 ·
I do own a DSR530 - unfortunately. I bought the original one in May but did not want to keep it knowing that after 10 days I'd be locked into the StarChoice contract with a broken machine. Yes, they do have a contract. After 10 days you have to keep the machine for a solid year, or pay a hefty fine or return the $804 530. So I did the smartest thing - I returned it until they got their act together. I bought the 2nd one after the .A4 software came out. So many were bragging about it. Finally, I thought, StarChoice got their act together. I only had the machine for one day and StarChoice was called. I just had to ask them what was up with the black and white on Live TV? I was told a new .A8 release was coming out in 2 weeks that would be the absolute fix for everything. Well it was not! We have .A8 now and it still contains over 20 bugs that I alone have counted.

I just hope that nobody else is fooled into thinking that the machine is a super 100% working DVR or that StarChoice lives up to their promises for that matter. From what I have experienced, they do not. There is no evidence that StarChoice will ever get their act together given the StarChoice track record. It's time that more people spoke up and told the truth about this machine. I'm not going to sit here and lie about it and say it is a wonderfully working machine when I have a list of over 20 items of things wrong with it. Just like you, I have a right to my opinion, and these forums are used by a large percentage of people out there looking to buy. They have a right to read both sides of the story. I'm not the reason the DSR530 machine is not working. I'm only reporting what I'm finding, which is really the gist of this forum isn't it? One thing I am not, and that is a liar. I'm not taking anyone's side, I'm just stating the facts as I have seen them each and every day while watching TV. So leave your personal comments towards me out of it. This is not an issue about DKS. The issue is entirely with a very expensive item that does not live up to its name - it doesn't even come close. Many people are stuck with it. If you want to mail me $804, I will gladly return this load of #$% to StarChoice. If you cannot send me the money then get off my case.

#128 ·
Well. I played around tonight with your problem. I must admit I have never called up the on-air guide will watching the DVR before. But when I did, bingo! I replicated your problem. Now besides the Sanyo PLV-Z2 fixed pixel LCD projector hooked up on component (which goes into full spaz mode when I do this), I have a Tosh CRT hooked up in the same room via S-video. The Tosh has no problem, of course it's receiving a 480i signal all the time. This allowed me to continue to see what the 530 was doing and it appeared to be fine. Navigating menus and channels, SD or HD all a-ok. Then I power cycled the Sanyo and it was fine again.

So in my case, I figure my display is not reacting to the signal properly. I can make it do the same thing by accessing it's menu and changing from auto-detect to fixed 720p or 480p or any incompatible resolution.

I suppose you could argue that it's the fault of the 530, it's putting out something alien that the display shouldn't be expected to handle. Sort of like the DVI / HDCP situation. I guess it's becoming apparent that in all these issues not many of the manufacturers and developers are on the same page. No surprise considering how they all fought for years over broadcast standards and never really agreed in the end, delaying the complete change-over to full HD digital for years, maybe decades. Look what's coming down the pipe for DVD - do you go Blu-Ray or DVD-HD? I won't disagree that the 530 is flawed, perhaps moreso than a product should be before it's released as it was to us, but it's not the root of all evil. It works fine for me, but then I record one or two programs per week (usually Soundstage, Nature or a movie) and probably watch TV every third day for an hour or two. Not exactly a heavy user...

#130 ·
Blacking Out

I got a 530 on Friday, and I was having trouble with the picture blacking out for 1-2sec about every 5-10mins. I would still have sound and the sat signal indicator on the front of the receiver stayed green. It seems to happen more frequently on the HD channels, but does happen on SD channels as well. I am using the DVI output with a Toshiba TV. After spending endless hours on the phone with *C, they told me I have a bad receiver. I purchased a new one, and I am still having that same problem. My software is at A8. Any ideas, or has anyone else had problems like this?

#133 ·
Kink:

I also have the 530 hooked up to a Sanyo Z2 via Component. I set the 530 to 720P which is the native resolution of the Z2 and I don't have any problems with the screen going weird. The last time I tried the Z2 via DVI I was getting the video drop-outs...have you tried DVI?

SideDog:

See my post on DVI output on the 530. Some people have luck and others don't. They claim they are going to try to fix it with a firmware upgrade. I would suggest you try the component output for now.

#134 ·
Over compensating Agents

Sidedog said:
After spending endless hours on the phone with *C, they told me I have a bad receiver. I purchased a new one, and I am still having that same problem. My software is at A8.
After realizing that saying the next software fix will take care of all problems to get you off the phone, it sounds like this weeks B.S. line is you have a 'bad receiver'.
What a load of crap. While there will always be some small percentage of any manufactured product that goes bad, this is a clear cut case of software that is still maturing, plain & simple.
Now the agent knows the chances of you get them again is slim.

A hardware problem would be a DEAD Display, or totally unable to ever record or playback or pause. (Dead disk)
NO video/audio on ANY output or NEVER able to get a signal.
Just about everything else is software.
You can either take it back and go without or wait and see if the next software is more to your liking.

While it's nice to have them exchange a receiver, I'm not convinced they are doing you any favours and clearly haven't done their job troubleshooting.

The reality is, they are quite frustrated with the product being released 6 months early and do not have the latest factual information to offer you, so they try and be creative.

I don't see it as their fault so much as a organizational breakdown internally.

While you are complaining to the top dude, mentioned elsewhere here, about the box itself, see if the agents can get 'fixed' as well.
No, I don't mean neutered or spayed either!

I can tolerate the truth, I'm a big boy.
The box WILL get fixed, eventually, just don't Bu77$h1t me anymore.

#135 ·
dks said:
I do own a DSR530 - unfortunately. I bought the original one in May but did not want to keep it knowing that after 10 days I'd be locked into the StarChoice contract with a broken machine. Yes, they do have a contract. After 10 days you have to keep the machine for a solid year, or pay a hefty fine or return the $804 530. So I did the smartest thing - I returned it until they got their act together. I bought the 2nd one after the .A4 software came out. So many were bragging about it. Finally, I thought, StarChoice got their act together. I only had the machine for one day and StarChoice was called. I just had to ask them what was up with the black and white on Live TV? I was told a new .A8 release was coming out in 2 weeks that would be the absolute fix for everything. Well it was not! We have .A8 now and it still contains over 20 bugs that I alone have counted.

I just hope that nobody else is fooled into thinking that the machine is a super 100% working DVR or that StarChoice lives up to their promises for that matter. From what I have experienced, they do not. There is no evidence that StarChoice will ever get their act together given the StarChoice track record. It's time that more people spoke up and told the truth about this machine. I'm not going to sit here and lie about it and say it is a wonderfully working machine when I have a list of over 20 items of things wrong with it. Just like you, I have a right to my opinion, and these forums are used by a large percentage of people out there looking to buy. They have a right to read both sides of the story. I'm not the reason the DSR530 machine is not working. I'm only reporting what I'm finding, which is really the gist of this forum isn't it? One thing I am not, and that is a liar. I'm not taking anyone's side, I'm just stating the facts as I have seen them each and every day while watching TV. So leave your personal comments towards me out of it. This is not an issue about DKS. The issue is entirely with a very expensive item that does not live up to its name - it doesn't even come close. Many people are stuck with it. If you want to mail me $804, I will gladly return this load of #$% to StarChoice. If you cannot send me the money then get off my case.
Have you forced the issue of returning the item to star choice for a refund?

#136 ·
Sidedog said:
I got a 530 on Friday, and I was having trouble with the picture blacking out for 1-2sec about every 5-10mins. I would still have sound and the sat signal indicator on the front of the receiver stayed green. It seems to happen more frequently on the HD channels, but does happen on SD channels as well. I am using the DVI output with a Toshiba TV. After spending endless hours on the phone with *C, they told me I have a bad receiver. I purchased a new one, and I am still having that same problem. My software is at A8. Any ideas, or has anyone else had problems like this?

Its the DVI issue. Use component until they can get it straightened out with that make of tv.

#137 ·
Tup said:
I also have the 530 hooked up to a Sanyo Z2 via Component. I set the 530 to 720P which is the native resolution of the Z2 and I don't have any problems with the screen going weird. The last time I tried the Z2 via DVI I was getting the video drop-outs...have you tried DVI?
Tup:

The problem occurs when you set the 530 to 0000 native. Then you will have to set the Z2 to auto-detect. This works perfectly for SD, HD and DVR with one exception: while watching a recorded program, call up the on-air guide. You should lose video. Exit the guide, power cycle the Z2 and it will come back A-OK. It doen't happen with any other setting on the 530 because with any other setting the signal to the Z2 is always the same so the Z2 never has to detect input and switch decoding.

I don't use DVI because the cable run from the 530 to the Z2 is 15 meters and only an optical DVI will work over that distance ($700 US!!!) and I wasn't confident, given all the DVI problems even with short runs, that it would work anyway.

Cheers,

Kevin

#138 ·
Hi Kevin,

That's EXACTLY how it is behaving for me. Sometimes when I'm watching a show from the DVR that I've recorded, they play a commercial advertising another show. I press the GUIDE button because I want to record that other show. However, when I do this, I lose my display such as the case with you. My display is a brand new Toshiba 52HMX85 television manufactured July 2005. This seems to happen more when I'm watching HD content, as opposed to SD content. I don't know what it is, but it does seem to be a problem with the 530 because I can still see the Guide, so it's not as if the display is not working.

I'm happy that you were able to replicate the problem. Thanks for checking it out.

#142 ·
Makes me think of the ancient Graucho joke, guy goes into the doctor and says "Doctor, every morning when I get up my head hurts for 1/2 hour". Doctor says "So get up 1/2 hour later". Ba da ba boom.

Figure if you call Starchoice it'll go like this:

"When I watch the DVR and select Guide I lose my video".

CSR says "So don't select Guide when you're watching the DVR".

Or maybe this week you'll get the new 530, they seem to be giving them out quite liberally ...

#143 ·
Puke

AddictedtoToys said:
Please close this thread. Points are well taken over, and over again.
The thread is OK, it's just a few posters with nothing new to offer the group.
Clearly their life revolves around the same old same old ad nauseum.

For my money, Hugh should suspend their priveleges until the next software for the unit comes out and then we can start all over again, at least with a bit of a break in between.

C'mon *C, test the new code as long as possible an give some of us a break.

#144 ·
Those that think the thread should be closed have a good point, my point is that some spend more time energy complaining to people who don't care than the right person who can actually help resolve the issue. Its amazing what an effective complaint can do when made to the right person, that is assuming the complaints are true and legitamate.

#147 ·
starchoice said:
!!!!!!!!!!
I am not suggesting that he is lying, but if I purchased ANY product from ANY Canadian dealer that I found 20 bugs in I would have my money back on the item rather than complain to people who either don't care or have no power to improve the situation. There is no doubt there are some people having problems with this product the question is are the problems so bad they are preventing people from using the item as intended as some posters are claiming.

#148 ·
Maybe this thread should be renamed to "Let's gang up on DKS" as that seems to be what's going on right now. We certainly are not talking about the DSR530 any longer.

It's wonderful that we can all expressive ourselves and share our opinions without any hostile nonsense taking place.

#149 ·
I just bought a 505 and was considering a 530. Thanks to DKS, I will wait it out. This thread, although now getting old is helpful. That is the beauty about forums and the reason it is getting long is because there is a debate. Of course DKS is going to voice his opinion when someone debates his posts and that will continue until no one has interest in adding more content. Thanks to all for the opinions and info.
Cheers! ;)

#150 ·
I don't think you should base your desision not to buy based on what dks has said. He/she is only one person that has not had a good time with their 530. Yes there are problems but the majority of us are enjoying the 530 dispite a few bugs.

#151 ·
The real issue is not what DKS says, it's with StarChoice. StarChoice is providing these machines and service. It's not me. I'm only reporting what I find, which is the intent of the forum - to voice your opinion. However, some people seem to want to snuff out anyone who says anything truthfully negative about the DSR530. There were loads of people back in May who were either banned or completely ridiculed because they voiced their opinion. Their opinions were not in favour of StarChoice's 530. They are gone now, leaving just the people who (for whatever reason) treat StarChoice like it's their long lost brother. I cannot get attached to a company like that, especially a company who has promised on several occasions that they were going to fix all of these bugs and what seems like forever has failed to do that. The machine should never have been released with so many bugs in the first place. A comment was made that nobody cares about what I'm saying, obviously some people do. Just because many people don't reply doesn't mean that they don't care. There are other forums out there where I don't reply. I haven't got the time to visit and update my findings on every single StarChoice forum. However I visit them now and then and I can assure you that people are complaining. What's happening here is a select FEW people are trying to snuff out anyone who even attempts to shed any light on the ridiculous number of problems with the DSR530. Do they work for StarChoice? Maybe. In any case, anybody saying that the DSR530 is working 100% as it should is not telling the truth, or they are running with a software version other than .A8. I have treated my machine very carefully, and this is my 2nd DSR530 - both are not working.

When you think about it, there has to be some reason why the huge outlet stores are not demoing the DSR530. Why do you suppose they have not hooked even one up? You won't find a place anywhere in Ottawa with a working DSR530 to demo for you. What are they afraid of I wonder? Think about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.