Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 530 Discussion

81K views 507 replies 109 participants last post by  henryk 
#1 ·
Anyone else notice this?

I recently upgraded my home theatre system including a new audio receiver. Previously, I used the Stereo output on my receiver and audio levels between channels were fine.

I am now using the DVR530's Digital Optical Audio output into my receiver and the volume levels between channels, both HD and SD, are wildly inconsistent. Depending on the channel, I have to raise or lower the volume by 25 or more decibles just so that I can hear it.

This didn't happen with the Stereo output but now happens with the Digital Optical output.

#52 ·
I was talking to a CSR again today to complain about a lost recording and she stated that a new hit was coming Oct 6 for the DSR530. I asked her about three more time if she was sure that it was for the DSR530 and she said yes. So I guess we will have to wait and see.

Wade

#53 ·
Guess we will find out tomorrow morning/afternoon (5th) if a new version is coming on the 6th. We should all get targeted tomorrow afternoon for a download in the early AM of the 6th. If we don't get targeted tomorrow then no update is coming.

#54 ·
Windows Media Centre

I am considering acquiring an HP computer with Microsoft Windows Media Centre 2005.

According to what I have read about Media Centre you cannot record digital TV except for OTA, hence no HDTV recording of StarChoice programming. This means I assume that you cannot use the DVI connection from a 530 or 505.

Media Centre will do the pvr thing for analog signals. My question becomes is the composite video from a 505 or 530 analog and can you thus use a media centre PC as a PVR?

I have read several threads on this but want to make absolutely certain before I throw down my $1000.

Thanks

#55 ·
gworg said:
Media Centre will do the pvr thing for analog signals. My question becomes is the composite video from a 505 or 530 analog and can you thus use a media centre PC as a PVR?
Yes, you can use the composite video and S-video connections to connect to a media centre PC. If you have the 505, you may have problems with spurious pop-up messages incorrectly stating that you aren't subscribed to the channel you're on. For my PC-based PVR (running mythtv), I've got a DSR205 and it works great.

#57 ·
I don't know about the 530, but the 505 exibits this same thing. I also notice that commercials are VERY much higher than the acctual HD program !, I thought I dreaming the other night, when the sound jumped up, and I mean way up.

TV broadcasters, say that their commercials are NOT broadcast at higher levels, but we all know that's a load of bull. No matter what channe I watch, commercials are always louder, and that has been the way it's been for ions.

Anyway so the 530 does this also ... interesting.

Vancouver said:
Anyone else notice this?

I recently upgraded my home theatre system including a new audio receiver. Previously, I used the Stereo output on my receiver and audio levels between channels were fine.

I am now using the DVR530's Digital Optical Audio output into my receiver and the volume levels between channels, both HD and SD, are wildly inconsistent. Depending on the channel, I have to raise or lower the volume by 25 or more decibles just so that I can hear it.

This didn't happen with the Stereo output but now happens with the Digital Optical output.

#58 ·
How does the 530 accomplish HD recording ?

Hi guys,

I'm wondering how the SC 530 receiver is able to record HD recording ? and also I wonder how good the picture is ?

For example when you record for example CSI in HD on your 530, and play it back, is the playback as good as the original HD broadcast ? .. can you tell it's recording ?

I'm assuming that in order for the 530 box to be able to record HD, it has to have some sort of HD video capture card, like that we would buy for a computer.... anyway an interesting topic perhaps for a few of you.

#59 ·
FrostyTheBeerman said:
Hi guys,

I'm wondering how the SC 530 receiver is able to record HD recording ? and also I wonder how good the picture is ?

For example when you record for example CSI in HD on your 530, and play it back, is the playback as good as the original HD broadcast ? .. can you tell it's recording ?

I'm assuming that in order for the 530 box to be able to record HD, it has to have some sort of HD video capture card, like that we would buy for a computer.... anyway an interesting topic perhaps for a few of you.
When the 530 records....it records the high def data stream....so it plays back exactly as it was broadcast...so you can't tell the difference between the live or the recorded.....same with the buffer on live TV....press pause or rewind and the quality doesn't suffer.

#60 ·
as Tup said

picture is just as good as live broadcast.

no video capture or conversion. It just records the satellite data stream as is. Upon playback it must convert to video just as it would with a live stream.

I have saved a Dodgers/Diamondbacks baseball game from a little while back. The clarity was outstanding during the live broadcast so I hit record. I use this a reference to show people what HD looks like over SD. The playback looks everybit as good as the live broadcast I remember.

#61 ·
I checked this morning, Oct 6. Current version A08. Terget version: 000

I also had to do a cold reboot, 2nd time this week. My playbacks completly lose any notion of time. The yellow bar at the bottom doesn't work, if I use skip 30sec it goes back to the beginning, if I stop and restart where I left it restart anywhere it feels like (10 minutes before or after or whatever) etc... A cold reboot fixed it last week end but it got all wrong again last night. I am starting to hate the A08. I am very patient, I love the HD programming but I would at least like to be able to playback my recordings correctly.

#63 ·
HammerJoe said:
As I was told and apparently correctly.

505 owners should see a new version though... anyone can confirm??

There should be a new version for the 530 within a couple weeks as told by the CSR I talked to yesterday.
No updates yet. Still the original 00.14, target 00.00. I've heard so many conflicting stories on when this software update will come. I talked to a TSR yesterday, and he said there was nothing scheduled for the near future.

I don't know who to believe. I guess we'll get it, when we get it.

#65 ·
FWIW. I was told by a tech that the 505 update has been cancelled by Moto with no new target date and that a 530 update had not been scheduled. The only word they have is that the 530 update is expected in Dec but they do not have any detailed info on what it is supposed to do.

#66 ·
PeteX said:
FWIW. I was told by a tech that the 505 update has been cancelled by Moto with no new target date and that a 530 update had not been scheduled. The only word they have is that the 530 update is expected in Dec but they do not have any detailed info on what it is supposed to do.

I heard the same from people who have connections. 505 is delayed and nothing before xmas on the 530.

#68 ·
530 - is it possible to export any content from it ?

Hi guys,

For those of you with the 530, is it possible to export any of the content
that you record to a dvd for the sake of just keeping it ?

I'm pretty sure that HD content is impossible to export to any media, with any type of cables such as component, etc, but what about analog content ?

#69 · (Edited)
Smurfy,

The good outweighs the bad... go for it. Buying the unit now or buying it later isn't going to make much difference. Its the software that causes the bugs not the hardware itself and everyone gets the software updates at the same time. Watch the flyers... we're getting close to Christmas so some sales may be coming up soon.

I've had mine since the 530 came out in May and I'm pretty happy with it now... you learn to deal with some of the bugs. I don't get stressed out like some on this board. Life is too short to worry about a missed show or lost timer.

#70 ·
GaryE said:
Smurfy,

The good outweighs the bad... go for it. Buying the unit now or buying it later isn't going to make much difference. Its the software that causes the bugs not the hardware itself and everyone gets the software updates at the same time. Watch the flyers... we're getting close to Christmas so some sales may be coming up soon.

I've had mine since the 530 came out in May and I'm pretty happy with it now... you learn to deal with some of the bugs. I don't get stressed out like some on this board. Life is too short to worry about a missed show or lost timer.
Thanks Gary,
I guess I was just wondering how bad the bugs are, is it just some recording issues or are there bigger items that are going to annoy me to no end? I don't have the time or patients to be contacting *C everyday looking for fixes. As for the price, you're right I'll wait for the xmas sales to come, we also have a Best Buy about to open so I'm hoping they might have a good sale price.

Smurfy

#71 ·
You don't have to call *C looking for fixes. Usually, just turning the unit off and on will fix a freeze/problem or if that doesn't work then pressing and holding the power button on the front of the unit for about 5 seconds or so. It has been along time since I've actually had to pull the plug. Was doing that quite abit when I first got it but it's been much more stable lately. But do call *C anyway from time to time to let them know you are having problems.

#72 ·
Smurfy,

They arent that bad really, you learn to work around them. No point in wasting time and stressing out calling *C as you know there isnt anything a tech can do. Sort of like having a flat/low tire, you know you can get from point a to b but your sure as hell not going to drive a 110 on the highway, but youll still get there.

#75 ·
If you stay on one channel for about 15 minutes then the guide has a chance to load up again.

BTW, I did experience a bug that some others have talked about for ages but I never had myself until last night. Pressing the skip ahead button brought me back to the beginning of a show. My skip ahead and skip back have always worked nicely up until lastnight. Had to do power reset to fix it and its been fine again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.