Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 500 Discussion

117K views 449 replies 110 participants last post by  net29091 
#1 ·
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.

#127 ·
digitaldude said:
Probably not a bad idea.
If it seems to be acting a bit funny, get on the phone with SC and have them step you through a factory reset and then ask for a 'trip'

Sometime old settings need to get 'flushed' after new code comes out.
That often smartens things up a bit.
Perhaps you could contact SC to see if a factory reset and re-hit is of any use. To those in the southern provinces, it would involve a third party. But if it's worth doing, fine.

G
#131 ·
trellaine said:
Dumb question perhaps but I am kinda excited since I just got hooked up today. Bye bye to BEV.

Will the receiver automatically update? Anything I need to do?
Thanks

Hmm also why does every channel go widescreen then jumps back to Standard with the black bars? :confused:
If you turn it off (place unit in Standby) before midnight each night, it WILL automatically update to any new code available.

Check Options 6-4-7
Look at Current Version and then Target Version.
If your TARGET has a NON ZERO value, your box knows about the update and will try and take it.

If your watching at the time, it will try the next night, until 7 fails at which time it will FORCE the update, even if your watching.

The latest s/w is 03.44.78 aka 78.
Factory boxes were 70 or earlier.

The screen changing is the video scaling when the browse bar comes on so you don't miss any action.
Go to CH 500, note where the ticker bar is.
Hit Enter, now look where it is.

Depending upon the tv type (HD or SD) and format (4:3 or 16:9) and the Options 6-4-5 Video settings as well as the Front Panel Red Button Video mode (0000-Native, 1080i, {720p} 480p & 480i) you may see different behaviors.

#132 ·
No red button

digitaldude said:
If you turn it off (place unit in Standby) before midnight each night, it WILL automatically update to any new code available.

Check Options 6-4-7
Look at Current Version and then Target Version.
If your TARGET has a NON ZERO value, your box knows about the update and will try and take it.

If your watching at the time, it will try the next night, until 7 fails at which time it will FORCE the update, even if your watching.

The latest s/w is 03.44.78 aka 78.
Factory boxes were 70 or earlier.

The screen changing is the video scaling when the browse bar comes on so you don't miss any action.
Go to CH 500, note where the ticker bar is.
Hit Enter, now look where it is.

Depending upon the tv type (HD or SD) and format (4:3 or 16:9) and the Options 6-4-5 Video settings as well as the Front Panel Red Button Video mode (0000-Native, 1080i, {720p} 480p & 480i) you may see different behaviors.

Hmm very technical stuff just hope I get the latest and best updates. :p This is my current version: Neptune 03.42.70 and target version: Neptune 00.00.78

Does this make sense?

And hmm red button? :confused: No red buttons on my receiver. I am going to read up and see if there is any good information in the manual before posting and taking all your time. Thanks DD

G
#133 ·
trellaine said:
Hmm very technical stuff just hope I get the latest and best updates. :p This is my current version: Neptune 03.42.70 and target version: Neptune 00.00.78

Does this make sense?

And hmm red button? :confused: No red buttons on my receiver. I am going to read up and see if there is any good information in the manual before posting and taking all your time. Thanks DD
Yes, you have 70 and are scheduled to get 78 tonight if its off.

The red button is hidden behind a flap on the front lower right hand side behind the Starchoice logo.

Put your finger on the right side, just a bit below centre and pull forward.
The USB is disabled, the RED button is a set and forget video mode and the A/V inputs route their signals out the back to your set when you press the SOURCE button on the remote.
If you need an extra connection temporarily for a camcorder or game box.

#136 ·
Guide probs

Hmm ok and now finally one last question for the evening. sorry.

Hmm when I hit the "guide" button. I am stuck on PPV channels only?? How do I change this to go to the regular programming??

Have I locked something up? I know with BEV you just press the guide button twice I believe and it brings up your subscribed channels and then if you hit it again, will go back to all channels?

I read the manual but doesn't mention anything regarding my problem.
Thanks

#137 ·
trellaine said:
Hmm ok and now finally one last question for the evening. sorry.

Hmm when I hit the "guide" button. I am stuck on PPV channels only?? How do I change this to go to the regular programming??

Have I locked something up? I know with BEV you just press the guide button twice I believe and it brings up your subscribed channels and then if you hit it again, will go back to all channels?

I read the manual but doesn't mention anything regarding my problem.
Thanks
Go into the parental lockouts and lockout any channel you don't want to see in the guide. Then you will see just what you are subscribed to or what you want to see.

#138 ·
Sound

digitaldude said:
Keep in mind that Dolby Digital, although often 5.1 can be ANYTHING from 2.0 to 5.1 with all combinations in between.

You will find Dolby Digital 5.1 content on the premium movie channels, some PPV and the HD channels.

Hmm so for example: I was trying to watch a movie this afternoon that showed an apparent 5.1 dolby sound but I could only get the two front speakers to work??

Thanks

#140 ·
trellaine said:
Hmm how do I view the guide? I seem stuck on PPV guide. :( The PPV channels keep going round and round.
You must be stuck in a subguide and not the main guide. You should be able to go into options....parental control and lock out the channels you don't get. If all else fails, unplug it and plug it back in to reset your guide issue.

#142 ·
Hide and seek

satellite said:
There is an easy fix. Mine used to go into that mode all the time, I still don't know how, but there is an easy fix in the menu. You change it from showing just PPV to "all channels". I'm not at my 500 right now to check...

Your exactly right! Apparently the CS person has had a few calls tonight about this. It worked fine this afternoon then I guess slipped into that PPV mode.

So I can lock all the channels I dont sub too correct? Will they be hidden?
Thanks

G
#143 ·
If your guide is NOT showing you what you think it should, check Options 3 Favourites.

Make sure the ALL Channels is checked and then SAVE.

You may be stuck in the ALL PPV guide.

If you like, edit the name of a favourites list to ALL SUB and then select just the channels you sub to.

Then SAVE and your guide only shows what you have.

You can also then use the remotes favourites button the run through your custom guide.

This way you can always toggle back to all channels.

You can use the parental controls and lock out the channels you don't get, then they won't show in the guide.

But do try and play with the favourites channel list.
Make one for you and another for the spouse or kids if you like.
You can edit the names easily with the soft keyboard.

Just remember to check what it says in the guide in the upper right corner.
It will say what guide you are viewing.

For those reading, virtually ALL the guide functions are the same on the DVR530 as well.

G
#144 ·
trellaine said:
Hmm so for example: I was trying to watch a movie this afternoon that showed an apparent 5.1 dolby sound but I could only get the two front speakers to work??

Thanks
Was the 5.1 icon in the guide or did the movie just says it was?
What channel was it?

Make sure you are set to Dolby Digital in the Digital Audio section of Audio Settings Options 6-4-2.

Then also make sure your A/V is set for the DIGITAL input using either your 75ohm coaxial SPDIF digital audio cable or the TOSLINK Fibre Optic digital audio cable.

Also make sure your amp was set to default so that no 'special' modes were at work that might otherwise negate the Doloby Digital signal it was receiving.

#145 ·
Maybe or maybe not

digitaldude said:
Was the 5.1 icon in the guide or did the movie just says it was?
What channel was it?
Also make sure your amp was set to default so that no 'special' modes were at work that might otherwise negate the Doloby Digital signal it was receiving.

Hmm it was "American Splendour" not sure of the channel number but the guide was suggesting 5.1 but perhaps on your second point regarding my receiver...that is possible but it was working fine with DVD last night. When I hit the Denon receiver remote "5Channel Stereo" nothing changes? I do have the optical hooked up. I am getting sound and the audio preferences are set correctly. I will play around a bit more tomorrow with my receiver. Do all movies/shows in the guide with 5.1 actually produce this?

Cheers

G
#146 ·
If the guide says 5.1 then it should be there.

If it was working for DVD, good, but if your Denon is like my Pio, then settings can be unique for each input such as TV/SAT, DVD, CD, etc.

Try tuning to HD7 287 which is ABC.

They should be 5.1 just about all the time, even their local newscasts.

When you get Dolby 5.1 there, then note your settings and leave them.

#148 ·
trellaine said:
Checked this morning and the receiver never updated? :(
You could get it today if you go to the Future Shop or Best Buy. Purolator is very fast. They were most definitely not shipped on May 16. Otherwise you would have had yours by now. Hopefully Purolator won't be blamed for this. My machine from StarChoice never came either, and today when the one I bought was hooked up the installer passed me the phone to talk to someone at *C. He said he was refunding my $804 right away because my order was never put through. Who knows who was right or wrong. I've received several different stories from different CSRs. Granted, there are a lot of CSRs, and perhaps they are not all on the same page. We are not living in the stone ages anymore. We have email, and things like this should be sent to all employees. If they don't read their emails and keep up on how things work, then they should be fired. This is their job! I have to know millions of things to do my job. I make it my top priority to know these things, or anything new that comes along that affects my job. As am employee, that's how things are supposed to work.

In any case, it all trickles up to management. They are the ones doing the hiring, the firing, and the delegation of the work. If they are not giving clear direction, then this will happen.

Hopefully things will settle down soon.

#150 ·
trellaine said:
My receiver never updated DD? I am still on the original software version. My machine was turned off all night. :confused:
I wonder if it is because the machine needs to be on channel 299 before you turn it off. That's what was mentioned in another topic. Although that doesn't make sense because you would have to always remember to tune to channel 299 before shutting down your machine. You'd never get the updates!

Maybe you were recording something? Are you sure your recorder was not set to come on? It may have interfered with the update.

#151 ·
Fix

Well I have the DSR500 but after getting off the phone with a Tech2 guy at *choice apparently the updates aren't sent out every night from the satellite but eventually I guess it will. But I will remember to leave it on Ch 299 before bed. I kept having a problem with the receiver defaulting to Ch 299 so I had to do a full restore and that corrected the problem. I was getting annoyed at seeing Channel 299 all the time. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.