Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 500 Discussion

117K views 449 replies 110 participants last post by  net29091 
#1 ·
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.

#77 ·
Correct

digitaldude said:
If I understood part of your question to be is the difference in HD PQ better than SD?
Example, when watching a Hockey Game on CBC SD, I cannot see the puck and everything is blurry.
When I watch a hockey game in HD, then the pucks is visible and I can see the sweat in the pores on the players faces.

You have 6 times as many pixels to look at HD vs SD
Okay, so you can tell the difference with the naked eye if two tv's were side by side, one with SD and one with HD? Question being: is it really that much of a difference?
Thanks DD :D

G
#78 ·
trellaine said:
Okay, so you can tell the difference with the naked eye if two tv's were side by side, one with SD and one with HD? Question being: is it really that much of a difference?
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, WITHOUT ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT.

In fact many of us have become HD bigots, if it isn't in HD, we just don't watch it.
That also has the effect that you now watch stuff you might normally not watch if it were in SD.

It's more like looking at life through an open windows, it's THAT clear & bright & colourful.

#79 ·
trellaine said:
HD is like looking out a window. With binoculors. Its unbelievable. You really notice the difference with sports events and things like American Idol where there is an audience and lots of audience shots - you can make out individual faces!
Colours are more vivid, too.
I also really enjoy the widescreen aspect of it. And I've got a 4:3 TV, so have bars on the top and bottom. If its not in HD, I won't bother watching it on the home theatre system - I'll watch it on the regular TV in my room.

That said, the rest of my family couldn't care less. My sisters hate it because of the widescreen, so they think the picture is smaller. My parents can't tell the difference between HD and regular channels. I keep telling them they're going blind then.

Try to find a retailer that actually has the HD TVs hooked up right, and to an HD source. Even without a side-by-side comparison, you should notice a difference right away.

I'll try to post some side-by-side shots tommorow.

#80 ·
trellaine said:
is it really that much of a difference?
I find the biggest difference on nature, travel and sports.

Last night Sportnet had 4 different MLB games on SD and the Tiger/Red Sox in HD. The difference was huge between the SD and HD, even though the HD feed was from NESN, who are not known for the best PQ HD. I tried to watch a little of the Yankee from YES in SD; but it was like looking thru a coke bottle.

The difference in regular network shows isn't as great; but even the better half who was against spending the $ on HD, always wants to watch American Idol on the HD setup.

#81 ·
Thanks

satellite said:
HD is like looking out a window. With binoculors. Its unbelievable. You really notice the difference with sports events and things like American Idol where there is an audience and lots of audience shots - you can make out individual faces!
Colours are more vivid, too.
I also really enjoy the widescreen aspect of it. And I've got a 4:3 TV, so have bars on the top and bottom. If its not in HD, I won't bother watching it on the home theatre system - I'll watch it on the regular TV in my room.

That said, the rest of my family couldn't care less. My sisters hate it because of the widescreen, so they think the picture is smaller. My parents can't tell the difference between HD and regular channels. I keep telling them they're going blind then.

Try to find a retailer that actually has the HD TVs hooked up right, and to an HD source. Even without a side-by-side comparison, you should notice a difference right away.

I'll try to post some side-by-side shots tommorow.

Thanks Sat! Pics would be great. I think it also depends on the TV as well, and accessories used such as cables etc. Not just the receiver and satellite feed.

#82 ·
987654321 said:
I find the biggest difference on nature, travel and sports.

Last night Sportnet had 4 different MLB games on SD and the Tiger/Red Sox in HD. The difference was huge between the SD and HD
...For example, we now watch the "Travels In Europe" series on PBS HD Detroit...Channel 289....weeknights at 8:30pm ADT....a new one every week. Just great stuff!

....BTW....Sportsnet is doing just an amazing job with all this HD baseball!!!...Kudos!

...It's a shame that the bloated toads at TSN won't offer any HD to us StarChoice subs....Shame on you all!!

G
#84 ·
If your A/V amp decodes Dolby Digital 5.1, then in Option 6-4-2

set Digital Audio to Dolby Digital and

Analog Audio to Surround

Use either the coaxial SPDIF or the Optical TOSLINK connections.

Also the Compression settings None, Light and Heavy can be set differently for TV channels versus MUSIC channels.

This way you might have Light or Heavy on TV, but NONE on Music.

Be sure to place it into to standby at night when you go to bed.

There is NEW software coming this month to make it more robust.

#85 · (Edited)
Thanks

digitaldude said:
If your A/V amp decodes Dolby Digital 5.1, then in Option 6-4-2

set Digital Audio to Dolby Digital and

Analog Audio to Surround

Use either the coaxial SPDIF or the Optical TOSLINK connections.

Also the Compression settings None, Light and Heavy can be set differently for TV channels versus MUSIC channels.

This way you might have Light or Heavy on TV, but NONE on Music.

Be sure to place it into to standby at night when you go to bed.

There is NEW software coming this month to make it more robust.

I will have certainly do as you suggest. I will be using Digital Optical cable for audio and component for video feed.
Thanks very much.

And yes my receiver decodes Dolby Digital.

G
#87 ·
Optical and Coaxial are SPDIF Digital Connections.
As such they can carry regular PCM digital audio as well as Surround Audio in either DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 AC-3.

The composite are really video connections, not audio, but are typically grouped with ANALOG Left + Right.
Over those you can carry Stereo as well as Dolby Surround (Pro-Logic) which is multi-channel sound encoded into a stereo pair for your A/V amp to decode.

Keep in mind that Dolby Digital, although often 5.1 can be ANYTHING from 2.0 to 5.1 with all combinations in between.

You will find Dolby Digital 5.1 content on the premium movie channels, some PPV and the HD channels.

Most of the rest is available in Dolby Surround.

Your Digital connections (Coax or Optical) will then carry everything and your amp will decode the highest audio stream when your box is set as I described earlier.

No need to fool around after that, you're all covered.

#88 ·
Groovy

digitaldude said:
Optical and Coaxial are SPDIF Digital Connections.
As such they can carry regular PCM digital audio as well as Surround Audio in either DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 AC-3.

The composite are really video connections, not audio, but are typically grouped with ANALOG Left + Right.
Over those you can carry Stereo as well as Dolby Surround (Pro-Logic) which is multi-channel sound encoded into a stereo pair for your A/V amp to decode.

Keep in mind that Dolby Digital, although often 5.1 can be ANYTHING from 2.0 to 5.1 with all combinations in between.

You will find Dolby Digital 5.1 content on the premium movie channels, some PPV and the HD channels.

Most of the rest is available in Dolby Surround.

Your Digital connections (Coax or Optical) will then carry everything and your amp will decode the highest audio stream when your box is set as I described earlier.

No need to fool around after that, you're all covered.
:p Groovy, just have to remember to set my receiver correctly. hehe

#89 ·
RF Remote for the DSR500

starchoice said:
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.
It appears that the RF remote capability of my DSR500 has ceased to function. The IR is OK, so no big deal. But I was wondering if others have lost RF remote control, and if so, was the problem with the remote wand or the receiver itself?

#91 ·
digitaldude said:
Maybe check the little antenna on the back of the set and also check out the remote address.

You may need to use the front panel.

Have you recently changed batteries?

I'm not aware of any UHF failures.
Thanks for the reply. I've checked the antenna, remote address and put new batteries in with no luck. I believe the UHF remote uses the same frequency as the IR extenders do (around 430 MHz). I should be able to pick up the wand's signal with one of my ham HTs. Perhaps Kusat is willing to send me another wand.
Anyway, thanks, and I'll let you know what I end up determining.
Carl

#92 ·
carl033 said:
It appears that the RF remote capability of my DSR500 has ceased to function. The IR is OK, so no big deal. But I was wondering if others have lost RF remote control, and if so, was the problem with the remote wand or the receiver itself?
Mine pretty much doesn't work at all. I don't know how people use their remotes in other rooms, I place my hand over the IR sender and the remote doesn't control the reciever any more. From 10 feet away. Mind you, I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet, so it could be something easy...

#93 ·
satellite said:
Mine pretty much doesn't work at all. I don't know how people use their remotes in other rooms, I place my hand over the IR sender and the remote doesn't control the reciever any more. From 10 feet away. Mind you, I haven't bothered trying to fix it yet, so it could be something easy...
Radio Shack has these IR range-extending pyramids for about $50. They work to about 100 feet, and convert the IR to UHFat the remote room, and then back to IR where the receiver is. I expected the UHF range for the DSR500 to be about the same. It was marginally that when the unit was new. But it now appears dead.

G
#95 ·
I used to see some of those problems, but not so far with the new code.

Try changing your remote address to between 4 and 7.

Older SC units could only go up to 4, so the upper ones are 500/530 only addresses.

Maybe a nearby neighbot has a UHF remote.

G
#100 ·
carl033 said:
Does it matter what channel the unit is on when it is shut off? I remember to get the original authorization, it had to be on Ch 299.
Not really, but 299 is as good as any.
I think as long as it's on a F1 channel, you should be OK.
That would be any SD English channel.
Others are probably OK as well.

#101 ·
digitaldude said:
Put your units into STANDBY (OFF) to take advantage of the new & improved 78 code.

Nothing to see up front, but much less buggy. Worthwhile!
got my new 78 code & i do notice one thing upfront.

I have my clock set to "enable" in the "clock on standby" section.

Before it would be about 10 minutes before the clock would come back after changing chanells or viewing the guide. Now since the 78 code the clock comes back after a minute......very nice.

Lets hope the lockups are a thing of the past now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.