Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 500 Discussion

117K views 449 replies 110 participants last post by  net29091 
#1 ·
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.

#2 · (Edited)
OK - I'll start it off

The firmware in the DSR500 is CRAP. This is the worse excuse for programming that Motorola has ever foisted on the public.

If 1 had never been exposed to satellite previously, they could be excused for surmizing that the DSR500 was released prior to to the 4XX/3XX or 4DTV 92X receivers - or even prior to the mid 80's Motorola predecessor GI C Band receivers.

Obviously, there is lots of horsepower in the 5XX series hardware, but the programmers are inexperienced, sloppy and Motorola certainly does not have a "Best Practices" program in place.

It reminds me of Echostar - you never meet an Echostar receiver owner who is not a beta tester - fix 1 problem, create 2 new ones.

While a certain amount of lockups are understandable in a new product built from the ground up, the # of hours that SC has paid employees (+ customers lost) to deal with these issues must be staggering.

An example of some of the user friendly features on 4XX series, that Motorola "improved" on:

1) a remote that is so sensitive that it enters the number twice if you don't use exactly the right finger pressure (Use this remote on a UHF equipped 4XX series receiver and you will see that the remote works flawlessly - so it's just another 5XX problem)

2) requiring a "password" for parental control lockout use - why? In 3xx/4XX receivers - no password is required - one can make a IPG of their own choosing

3) Stopping at lock outed channels when using the "Up/Down" rocker switch. This is a real treat - requiring the user to curser to the "cancel" icon. What is the point of this?

4) Eliminating the "Future" button from the IPG. Yep - sure is a lot easier to hit the VCR forward button a number of times (it only moves ahead 6 hours each time). That's certainly easier then selecting the day like the 4XX/3XX receivers do - NOT

5) Gawd awful IPG fonts - much harder to read than older receivers - no way to change font colour

6) Interests search showing you programming from all available channels - not just channels in the IPG like 4XX/3XX do - again - what is the point?

I'm sure other users can add to this list.

Motorola had better be releasing a far better version for the DSR530 or SC will lose even more customers after it's release.

#3 ·
Well,

I am an ExpressVU 6100 owner and well it works mostly as it should.

In regards to the DSR 530. I doubt the software will be any different than what you see in the DSR 500.

Quite recently, Motorola bought Ucentric the software development company who was working on the "Whole Home" software of VOOMS DSR 580.

This means that any future Motorola receivers will benefit tremendously from this acquisition..... but not soon enough for the DSR 530 unfortunately.

Crispy

#4 ·
Crispy said:
Well,

I am an ExpressVU 6100 owner and well it works mostly as it should.

In regards to the DSR 530. I doubt the software will be any different than what you see in the DSR 500.

Quite recently, Motorola bought Ucentric the software development company who was working on the "Whole Home" software of VOOMS DSR 580.

This means that any future Motorola receivers will benefit tremendously from this acquisition..... but not soon enough for the DSR 530 unfortunately.

Crispy
Hello!

Motorola did acquire Ucentric recently but I thought They did have a cooperation together for the last year or so. I thought parts of the DSR500's firmware was develloped by Ucentric.

This would meen that the DSR530 would get a better part of the firmware from Ucentric. Even then, they could upgrade the firmware later on, directly in the DSR530 with *C download. The purchase of Ucentric by Moto was only a financial transfer. The DSR530 has hardware in already to get the firmware upgrade. It looks more and more like the BEV5220 but with HD capability. (and less bugs :p )

Well, that's what I thought. I may be wrong all the way. Oh, I guess i'm in the wrong thread. sorry guys!

#6 ·
Well said 987654321:

Don't forget about the Program Guide, while you search on it and want to tune into a channel you hit enter, then you have three choices instead of just changing to that channel. You have to press up three times to "TUNE TO CHANNEL". If this must be there have tune to channel as the default so you just have to hit enter twice.

#7 ·
studlygoorite said:
Well said 987654321:

Don't forget about the Program Guide, while you search on it and want to tune into a channel you hit enter, then you have three choices instead of just changing to that channel. You have to press up three times to "TUNE TO CHANNEL". If this must be there have tune to channel as the default so you just have to hit enter twice.

Oops, either they fixed it or I was wrong, just does it for future programs.

#8 ·
The latest software version which I believe 03.42.70 is much buggier then the previous version. I'm finding my receiver is locking up a lot more then before. The extra sensitive remote is very annoying. I don't think that will ever get fixed on the DSR500 model. The last time I spoke to a tech rep at StarChoice they said they had solved about 95% of the bugs on the receiver. I don't believe that for a second. I think they correct 1 bug and create two more with every new software release.

Some of the CSRs have said that they now have DSR530 in the call centres and that they have a completely different software then the current DSR500. Seem's really counter intuative to have 3 radically different versions of the guide.

#13 · (Edited)
Several Csr told me the same. 160Gb, DVI (wich they don't know if it will be active at "roll-out") and the Guide is different. To use the same guide as dsr500 would meen it is of the same firmware and still has bugs.

They have been collaborating with Ucentric(maybe for the last year) and bought out the company in jan. My guess would be Moto will put Ucentric's firmware in the 530. That firmware is more stable and offers more features (Ucentric's word on that). Further more, Ucentric has a dual tv feed firmware (like Bev's 5220) and a pc version comming.
Click here for Ucentric overview in pdf

I know, it's only speculation but i'd wager that Moto bought Ucentric so they can use that firmware somewhere in there pvr receivers.

Your guess is as good as mine. I may be completely off track. *C doesn't say much but it will come soon! They already installed my second line from the dish to feed the 530. I'd bet on a march roll-out

#14 ·
not sure if this matters, but i have owned a dsr500 for about 2 weeks and it has already been replaced with a new one by *c cause i had so many issues with the first one, that they determined it was defective....

anyhow, they also told me that there is a new version of the software coming soon?... version 74...

2 things they said it will fix? is that the 500 will have caller id now on screen and the clock on front will no longer be in the 24hr format..... big deal.....

why are the audio/video front inputs not active on the dsr500?....

#15 ·
Billy34 said:
2 things they said it will fix? is that the 500 will have caller id now on screen and the clock on front will no longer be in the 24hr format..... big deal......

You have no idea how happy those two features will make me!

I hate the 24hr clock (I was 2 minutes away from posting a thread asking if it could be changed) and I really miss the caller id feature when I upgraded to the 500.

Different features for different people I guess.

Derek

#19 ·
My DSR 500 just started acting up

My DSR 500 has been running so well for the past 2 months but sice yesterday I have to reboot it many times per. HD channels lose audio constantly. It is as if the firmware got rolled back to the factory version. What is the latest version supposed to be?

#20 ·
Latest Version

The latest version is what the techs at *c refer to as "hex 70", just means that it ends in .70 . I ask one of them if a new one was coming out, and they said that they had "hex 74" in the call centre and were testing it there. As for your audio drop outs, I asked about this myself, and it appears as if its a known issue, and that they have been collecting info on it and working to find and correct the issue, dunno how long thats gonna take though ;)

G
#22 ·
Greven said:
The latest version is what the techs at *c refer to as "hex 70", just means that it ends in .70 . I ask one of them if a new one was coming out, and they said that they had "hex 74" in the call centre and were testing it there. As for your audio drop outs, I asked about this myself, and it appears as if its a known issue, and that they have been collecting info on it and working to find and correct the issue, dunno how long thats gonna take though ;)

Actually, many of the audio dropouts, at least in HD are broadcast related.
See my comments here.

#24 · (Edited)
Hi all. This is my first post and I would like to start by thanking DHC for a great site and marvelous forums!

I recently purchased a DSR 500 and am loving it. Enjoying the zippy quick guide, and the improved PQ on the SD channels is worth the investment right there. That being said I have two questions:

1: I have the receiver hooked up with component cables into an AKAI HD projection tv but I find PQ superior on the 500 and 600 series of channels than the HD channels......Am I missing something.......the reciever is in native 0000 mode.......maybe I just need new eyes ;)

2: I find that I only recieve maybe 2 or 3 of the HD channels, is this normal? I subscribe to a titanium plus package but maybe I need to change some of the east or west feeds to maximize my selection of HD channels.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank-you to all for such interesting and informative threads.
Cheers
Gord

G
#25 ·
Egghead said:
I recently purchased a DSR 500 and am loving it. Enjoying the zippy quick guide, and the improved PQ on the SD channels is worth the investment right there.

2: I find that I only recieve maybe 2 or 3 of the HD channels, is this normal? I subscribe to a titanium plus package but maybe I need to change some of the east or west feeds to maximize my selection of HD channels.
Gord
You should see HD1-9 from 281-289 in your guide.
Make sure you do not have any chanel locks on.
You may not get MCHD on 283 if your in the East and if your in the West, you may get some blackouts on HD5 when TMN runs HD movies.
I'd call and have them check it out.

#26 ·
DSR 500 Bug, or just my reciever

I have the DSR 500 (Hex 70) and have noticed that while watching a HD feed, there is a grey line running vertically at about the 33% mark of my tv (A GWII 60inch).

This ONLY happens on the HD channels, in any resolution, and doesn't happen when viewing the same HD channels through S-Video.

This also does not happen ALL the time (or does it and i just don't see it) and it doesn't happen on any other hi def source (video games or dvd).

Does anyone else notice this? Is it my tv, could it be my cables, or could it be the reciever itself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.