Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

DSR 500 Discussion

117K views 449 replies 110 participants last post by  net29091 
#1 ·
Due to the numerous threads on the DSR 500 and common issues to all interested in the DSR 500, we'll try to get all discussion going here.

G
#52 ·
BSmithern said:
Strange happening with my DSR500 tonight. I tuned into a show on an HD channel which was Dolby 5.1 and got no Dolby at all. Just PCM out of the channel. Tried a few other HD channels and still no Dolby.

I did a hard reset on the receiver and then tuned to the same channel that stated 5.1 and boom, it was back. Anyone ever have that happen before?
I had that last night on the 530 as well.
It appeared to be broadcaster related.
Those yanks are still struggling to get things working properly.
It happens on and off for a while now.
Why do you think WDIV NBC Detroit got DUMPED in favour of the Buffalo feed?
They couldn't get ther $H1T together.
They went from audio dropout to video dropouts.
Other providers have had encoder problems.
Remember a lot of the gear they are using is still 1st generation equipment.

#53 ·
I purchased 2 Yamahas to use with my DSR 400 and DSR 500.Both had the same problem and took them both back after both Yamaha support(Tech) and Star Choice ran out of suggestions.It's looks like a compatability issue with some the the newer Yamaha Receivers

Crispy said:
Ok,

Got my DSR 500 installed today and all is good except one thing.....

I have it hooked up to my Yamaha receiver via optical cable. Problem is that non-digital audio channels come in very low.

I have the dsr 500 set up for digital under under digtal audio and stereo under analog channels.

You really have to cranck up the volume for some of these channels which is fine until you switch channels and get blown out of your seat.

Please tell me their is something I am missing here?

The ExpressVU HD box has a setting to send both PCM and Dolby digital so this problem never crops up.

Crispy

#54 ·
Another problem the last couple of days with my 500. Just changes channels all by itself. Gotta' love that... :rolleyes:

I guess software bugs are not only on BEV units. Very strange. Sure hope all the time they took getting the 530 out was to ensure they have worked out all the bugs in those units.

G
#55 ·
BSmithern said:
Another problem the last couple of days with my 500. Just changes channels all by itself. Gotta' love that... :rolleyes:

I guess software bugs are not only on BEV units. Very strange. Sure hope all the time they took getting the 530 out was to ensure they have worked out all the bugs in those units.
Yep, seen that on my 500.
530 doesn't do that.

Later this year, the 500 will get the 530 code, sans DVR of course and that will smarten it up a bit.

#56 ·
timer on dsr 500

can any one help on this one i have two vcr s hooked up to my dsr 500 one is via the ant out and the other is via the a/v outs now they both work when every thing is on but if i set the 500 timer and turn every thing off i get nothing ..*c says i need to keep the dsr 500 left on !!! i have the 500 set for native res. when i first hooked it up it worked great but a/v was always the piority output that was no problem but since 42 70 upgrade i lost that......*c should give us dsr 500 onwers a rebate towards the 530 after all the trouble we have encounterd......if this where a car it would be news in the toronto star......no one should buy a 530 until they pay attension to us remember they are nothing with us....

#58 ·
dsr 500 timers

GaryE said:
Did you set the same timers on your VCRs?
hi garye
yes i checked out both vcr timers and like i said if i leave the freaken dsr 500 on the vcrs record the programs that i set on the 500 timer but if i set the timer on the 500 and turn it off the vcrs record dead air at the preset time........thanks for your responce

G
#59 ·
louis nemeth said:
can any one help on this one i have two vcr s hooked up to my dsr 500 one is via the ant out and the other is via the a/v outs now they both work when every thing is on but if i set the 500 timer and turn every thing off i get nothing ..*c says i need to keep the dsr 500 left on !!! i have the 500 set for native res. when i first hooked it up it worked great but a/v was always the piority output that was no problem but since 42 70 upgrade i lost that......*c should give us dsr 500 onwers a rebate towards the 530 after all the trouble we have encounterd......if this where a car it would be news in the toronto star......no one should buy a 530 until they pay attension to us remember they are nothing with us....
You are right!
New DSR500 code will be available shortly.
I think they know about that bug as well.
You may even have the 500 update before the 530 ships in MAY.
Even better, later this year, your 500 will get the very stable 530 code, no DVR functions of course.

And there DSR530 promo already offers some discounts for existing customers.

Seems like all your wishes have already been answered.

#60 ·
dsr 500

digitaldude said:
You are right!
New DSR500 code will be available shortly.
I think they know about that bug as well.
You may even have the 500 update before the 530 ships in MAY.
Even better, later this year, your 500 will get the very stable 530 code, no DVR functions of course.

And there DSR530 promo already offers some discounts for existing customers.

Seems like all your wishes have already been answered.
thanks digitaldude for that info....louis

#61 ·
DSR 500 IR Blaster Question

I` wondering what is the use for the IR blaster on the DSR 500. Can I use this to turn on my DVD recorder with hard drive to record,or what can be done with this blaster. In the instruction manual nothing is said on the use of the blaster. Thanks.

G
#62 ·
Hi Fi said:
I` wondering what is the use for the IR blaster on the DSR 500. Can I use this to turn on my DVD recorder with hard drive to record,or what can be done with this blaster. In the instruction manual nothing is said on the use of the blaster. Thanks.
Better find a use for it real quick, as there isn't one on the back of the DSR530.

I have no clue.
I'd call and ask them about it.

#63 ·
I have a cabin which is not heated except when visiting. It has a 301 which I leave there and it works a charm.....even when freezing! I would like to take my DSR 500 there when I get the new 530 (yipee!!!), does anyone know if it can deal with this kind of temperature abuse?? Similar question (albiet slightly off topic) can LCD tv's handle freezing.....the Liquid in LCD makes me a bit nervous

Cheers

G
#64 ·
Egghead said:
I have a cabin which is not heated except when visiting. It has a 301 which I leave there and it works a charm.....even when freezing! I would like to take my DSR 500 there when I get the new 530 (yipee!!!), does anyone know if it can deal with this kind of temperature abuse?? Similar question (albiet slightly off topic) can LCD tv's handle freezing.....the Liquid in LCD makes me a bit nervous

Cheers
The DSR500 Spec Sheet says 0-40C.

Do you have power on all the time?

You should probable be OK, since there is NO hard drive like a 530.
Just let it come up towards ambient temperature a bit before hitting AC to it.

As for the LCD, I'd either be very careful or allow the LCD to come to room temperature. Having it frozen at any time may also void your warranty.

#65 ·
digitaldude said:
The DSR500 Spec Sheet says 0-40C.

Do you have power on all the time?

You should probable be OK, since there is NO hard drive like a 530.
Just let it come up towards ambient temperature a bit before hitting AC to it.

As for the LCD, I'd either be very careful or allow the LCD to come to room temperature. Having it frozen at any time may also void your warranty.
Yes, I leave the AC on all the time so that I don't have to re-authorize it every time I go there. I think I will probably just play it safe and use the 500 spring, summer and fall and let a legacy deal with the winter abuse. (legacy receivers are like Jeeps)

Thanks for the response D-Dude :D

Cheers

G
#66 ·
Egghead said:
Yes, I leave the AC on all the time so that I don't have to re-authorize it every time I go there. I think I will probably just play it safe and use the 500 spring, summer and fall and let a legacy deal with the winter abuse. (legacy receivers are like Jeeps)

Thanks for the response D-Dude :D

Cheers
Then you will not have a problem then.
When you turn it off, you are really placing it into standby and thus it is running, with just the display/interface turned off.

It is always running at temperature and thus no warmup period is required.

The receivers are designed for continious power.

Enjoy it all season long in that case.

G
#68 ·
Egghead said:
Great info
Thanks DigitalDude
After you get your 530, load it full of movies on the hard drive and then take it on vacation with you to watch.

It's like takeing the video store with you.

It has been designed to playback just fine without being connected to a satellite.

G
#70 ·
Crispy said:
Well,

I solved my Motorola/Yamaha digital audio incompatibility problem........ I bought a Pioneer VSX-815 7.1 receiver :rolleyes:

Crispy
Good choice, I use a PIO 912K and love it.

Did you ever get an exact admission of the problem for either vendor?
Could you summarise the problem again and the symptons?

#71 ·
digitaldude,

I received a e-mail from Yamaha service admitting that they were aware of the problem with all Motorola boxes but assured me there was nothing wrong with the receiver. I should also add they didn't have any solution to the problem either :rolleyes: .

The problem is in the way that the Yamaha decodes digital signals I beleive. I persoanlly attribute the problem to them going to a "cheaper" integrated cicuitry which somehow along the way has led to this problem as older Yamaha receivers did not possess this.

The problem propogates itself as 25 db less volume on some channels when utilizing the digital out of the Motorola box. This forces you to crank the volume way up and then get blasted when you forget to lower it upon a channel change.

Now, with the Pioneer which uses a Motorola 24 bit audio engine there isn't any problem at all. So for Yamaha to state there is no problem with the receiver is probably a bit of double speak on there part. The term problem should be substituted with "incompatible".

If Motorola, like ExpressVU had a dual PCM/dolby digital option under the audio output menu the problem wouldn't exist as the receiver would pass both the PCM and digital audio feeds simultaneously and on those lower channels the Yamaha would simply pick up on the PCM source.

This is most likely why I didn't notice this when I had ExpressVU.

This alone is proof in my belief that Starchoice is superior as it would have been less hassle to simply go back to ExpressVU than change receivers.

In retrospect no that I have the Pioneer it is a nicer receiver although not a true "high current" receiver like the Yamaha. It is a brand new 2005/2006 model which has the auto MMAC microphone for setting up your surround speakers and 7.1 to boot. :D

Crispy

G
#72 ·
Crispy said:
digitaldude,

I received a e-mail from Yamaha service admitting that they were aware of the problem with all Motorola boxes but assured me there was nothing wrong with the receiver. I should also add they didn't have any solution to the problem either :rolleyes: .

The problem is in the way that the Yamaha decodes digital signals I beleive. I persoanlly attribute the problem to them going to a "cheaper" integrated cicuitry which somehow along the way has led to this problem as older Yamaha receivers did not possess this.

The problem propogates itself as 25 db less volume on some channels when utilizing the digital out of the Motorola box. This forces you to crank the volume way up and then get blasted when you forget to lower it upon a channel change.

Now, with the Pioneer which uses a Motorola 24 bit audio engine there isn't any problem at all. So for Yamaha to state there is no problem with the receiver is probably a bit of double speak on there part. The term problem should be substituted with "incompatible".

If Motorola, like ExpressVU had a dual PCM/dolby digital option under the audio output menu the problem wouldn't exist as the receiver would pass both the PCM and digital audio feeds simultaneously and on those lower channels the Yamaha would simply pick up on the PCM source.

This is most likely why I didn't notice this when I had ExpressVU.

This alone is proof in my belief that Starchoice is superior as it would have been less hassle to simply go back to ExpressVU than change receivers.

In retrospect no that I have the Pioneer it is a nicer receiver although not a true "high current" receiver like the Yamaha. It is a brand new 2005/2006 model which has the auto MMAC microphone for setting up your surround speakers and 7.1 to boot. :D

Crispy
I noticed the 5100 audio menu has the PCM only, Dolby only or PCM/Dolby.

I just ran some test on the DSR500 & DSR530.
Its audio menu has seperate settings for Digital and Analog outputs.
The digital audio settings are PCM and DOLBY DIGITAL.

When it's set for DOLBY DIGITAL, it passes PCM on all the channels unless there is D.D. 5.1.
On my PIO amp, on the digital input, it says Dolby Prologic for most signals, then when I tune ABC HD which is D.D. 5.1, It says D.D. 5.1

BUT, when I set the Digital audio output for PCM, I only ever get PCM, even on those channels that are in D.D. 5.1.

So I think the Dolby Digital setting in the SC units is effectively the same as the PCM/Dolby Digital setting on the BELL boxes. On my tests, it operates the same way. It's just not labeled as dual.

Since EVERY Dolby Digital amp can handle PCM, that makes sense.

The setting of PCM would be for those that have a Digital (TOSLINK/SPDIF) connection, but will not decode Dolby Digital or need to ONLY receive PCM audio.

I also like my MCACC setup, it was less that 1/2 db out when checked with my SPM (Sound Pressure Meter).

I'm not sure I understand your comment above in blue?
Are you saying that Starchoice is sufficiently better that the effort to resolve the problem was worth it?
That if it were about the same, then it would have been easier to just stay put?
I guess I'm confused, because the word RECEIVER applies to BOTH the satellite receivers and the Yamahaha and Pioneer A/V amps.

As with MOST things in consumer electronics, there will always be some incompatabilities.

2 brands can both be within specs, but at each end of the spec, they are too far apart to work correctly. Neither is to blame, It's just happens.

#73 ·
Are you saying that Starchoice is sufficiently better that the effort to resolve the problem was worth it?

Exactly. If I didn't think the differences were significant I would have gone back.

When i say differences I am referring to the whole package; PQ, customer service, programming package value, no HD fee etc.

Crispy

G
#74 ·
Crispy said:

Exactly. If I didn't think the differences were significant I would have gone back.

When i say differences I am referring to the whole package; PQ, customer service, programming package value, no HD fee etc.

Crispy
Thanks for the clarity.

That's a very nice independent endorsement.

I hope they continue to treat you well then.

#75 ·
Hi Definition

digitaldude said:
Thanks for the clarity.

That's a very nice independent endorsement.

I hope they continue to treat you well then.

I was also wondering about the same things Crispy :confused: is the PQ that much better and do you notice a difference in PQ of HD opposed to SD programming? I have yet to see two TVs/receivers beside each other..one with SD programming and the other with HD programming. Just so I can see if there really is much of a difference?
Thanks

G
#76 ·
trellaine said:
I was also wondering about the same things Crispy :confused: is the PQ that much better and do you notice a difference in PQ of HD opposed to SD programming? I have yet to see two TVs/receivers beside each other..one with SD programming and the other with HD programming. Just so I can see if there really is much of a difference?
Thanks
If I understood part of your question to be is the difference in HD PQ better than SD?
Example, when watching a Hockey Game on CBC SD, I cannot see the puck and everything is blurry.
When I watch a hockey game in HD, then the pucks is visible and I can see the sweat in the pores on the players faces.

You have 6 times as many pixels to look at HD vs SD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.