Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

What is the simplest way to connect two receivers side by side?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  classicsat 
#1 ·
I bought a Pioneer DVR-520H HDD/DVD Recorder and I would like to connect two receivers side by side. One for my TV and the other one for the HDD/DVD Recorder. This way I could watch a channel while recording another one.

Do I absolutely have to install a new cable from the antenna or could I just use a splitter to divide the actuel cable? What is the simplest way to do this?

#2 ·
The basic rule of thumb is, if your dish uses a multiswitch (all of the elipitcal dishes with dual satellite functionality have them either integrated into the LNBF or as a stand alone unit) then you cannot split the cable after the multiswitch. If you did so, you'd stand to lose half your channels to one of your receivers.

It's a bit more complicated than that (depends on the polarity of whatever channels you tune to) but basically, dual satellite - no splitting.

#3 ·
Only if it is a round stacked system, otherwise you need to run a second coax.
You will aslo need to change the remote address on one of the receivers
(probably the one you directly want to watch, the one for the recorder MIGHT be able to control the other receiver with IR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.