Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Star Choice Customer Service - Good & Bad - Post Comments Here

184K views 632 replies 225 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
This thread is for folks to post good stories and bad about Star Choice Customer Service.

If your posting a bad story, then at least try to post what knowledge is lacking and how the company might improve service rather than calling CSR's useless or idiots.

Remember CSR's are human too and sometimes they don't have all the answers

#77 ·
*C #1 in my books

As with some of the other folks, I too have been with *C for about 5 years now and have nothing but good things to say. You can submit an email tech support request online and get a response almost always with 24 hours. You can call and it may say 5 min wait or it may say 60 minute wait, but if you actually stay on the line, it's never been more than 10 minutes for me during peak calling time.

If people are frustrated with the new hardware, that's very understandable, but you get the same thing with ANY new product/technology when it first comes out be it a car, mp3 player or computer for that matter. Living on the "bleeding" edge is not for the weak of heart but it's reassuring to know that there is always a medic on the other end of the line, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays, willing to listen and truly help.

Service like that is what keeps me as a customer and knowing that they are actually interested in trying to help you, albeit nobody's perfect. Whether for phone, internet or satellite, I can't say I've had nearly as 'pleasant' an experience with Bell. Thanks Starchoice and keep up the great work.

That's my $0.02.

#78 ·
*C have had a LOT of problems in the past. They really got better in the last year. I've been with them for several years. At one point 3 years ago, the french side took 2 hours to answer a call. They put a password on my account even if I never did ask it, they lost my account, mixed up my account with someone else's, charged me ppv wich I never saw, etc... I could go like that and fill 2 pages of it.

In the last year or so, they did come back stronger. I can now say I trust the crew and staff. Several times I thought of leaving and had really good reasons to. I'm not stubborn. I gave them a chance and now they prooved to me they want to keep me as a customer. Now, they have to make sure their 530 gets better. Their reputation depends on it. Bev lost it because of bad products and bad customers support. I really hope they will get out of this snag! There has been a lot of work in their business and now, it shows.

#79 ·
I was a *C sub for almost 6 years.I switched to BEV because my system was old and they wanted $170 to get a new one.I got my BEV 3150 with a free power drill for $125.21
Over the first 2-3 years wait times were horrible but the CSR's were always friendly and they speak english (Take a hint Bell) Overall my service was very good and I would have stayed with them if they wanted to give me a deal on a new system.

#81 ·
trellaine said:
Hmm yes is BEV customer service center in Quebec?
There is one in Montréal, one in Toronto and one in Calgary. Even in Montréal, they dont necessarely speak fluent french nor english. When I can't work with the csr who answers, I ask to be transfered and then, someone will answer me correctly. You have to talk to a supervisor if the other doesn't help you.

#83 ·
I'll have to change my name

.. for on Friday, SC is out of here after 6 years; to be replaced by Rogers. Bell Sympatico will be gone

After seeing a thread on another forum comparing the different services, I would be crazy not to change to Rogers.

I will be paying paying Rogers $4.85 + tax less/month (and this is before the September $3 SC price increase) than SC/Sympatico and receiving 19 yes nineteen HD services.

It is truly a shame that the CRTC allowed Shaw to buy SC. They were correct the first time when they turned Shaw down for a satellite licence (HomeStar).

#85 ·
Good experience dealing with StarChoice Customer Service.

Hello,

I have in the past few weeks deauthorized a receiver and authorized a DSR500. Everything went smooth and fast when dealing with customer service.

A knowledgeable level 2 tech. authorized the DSR500. He told me there were bugs with the system (mainly to due with channel changing) and went over how to reset the system.

After I received the newest firmware it has been working flawlessly.

Good work StarChoice!

#86 ·
Long time lurker, first time post:

Had to add my $.02 about Star Choice's customer service. Overall, I rank it as top drawer, especially in the telecom industry. I have been a Star Choice customer for 5 years. Most recently, I approached them in Feb. to ask what they would do to keep me as a customer, in light of other promotions. Their response:
- free 530
- free install
- free dish upgrade
- 2 year contract

I was actually going to be happy with $200 off the 530 to soften the blow of upgrading, but was blown away by their offer. I recommend them to anyone who will listen, and can say that I was very impressed. I have recently dealt with Rogers and Bell (for other matters/folks), and again, SC is heads and tails above. I did have to work a bit, to get the original offer, and also to push for info around installations and 1 billing error, but I honestly feel that is to be expected (I was compensated with 3 PPVs anyways...Don't look a gift horse in the mouth applies here I suppose).

So again, hats off to Star Choice...I am very pleased.

P.S. My experience with the 530 has been mostly positive. I works as it essentially should, and the wrinkles that it still has to iron out are to be expected with such a complex piece of technology IMHO.

TTFN

#88 ·
I have one of the first SC elliptical dishes. It started giving me intermittent reception last week. So I called SC tech support to ask if there was a way to check whether the problem was LNBF or multiswitch since I had no spare parts.

The tech said that since I was a long time SC sub, he would send out a service tech at n/c.

Low and behold, I come home yesterday and there is a new 2X4 Eagle Aspen multiswitch attached to the dish. Nice touch as I only had a 2X2.

#91 ·
Satellite Expert said:
I have one of the first SC elliptical dishes. It started giving me intermittent reception last week. So I called SC tech support to ask if there was a way to check whether the problem was LNBF or multiswitch since I had no spare parts.

The tech said that since I was a long time SC sub, he would send out a service tech at n/c.

Low and behold, I come home yesterday and there is a new 2X4 Eagle Aspen multiswitch attached to the dish. Nice touch as I only had a 2X2.
Previously, the subject of another thread, I, too, was having some reception problems and was offered a "free" service call. I guess it was "free" until the SC bill came and there was a charge for it. SC actually denied making the offer of a free service call.

#92 ·
Bad Customer Service

The Techsuport and customer service at *C has been getting worse since I subscribed back in July.

Tonight tops the cake for the worst customer service I have seen bar none.

530 locks up again and this time looses all the indexes in the HD so we can no longer access any recordings.

Phone into *C tech. Message says wait time is between 8-10 minutes. After about 5 minnutes a new recording buts into tell me that "due to high call volumes wait times exceed 45 min" Not sure how 8 minutes went to 45 all of the sudden. Like their cueing strategy.

But that is only an anyoance. I wait on hold for what seems like ever to get Julie on the phone. I tell her the problem and she tells me that is NORMAL for a 530. I should simply ACCEPT that all my recordings are gone and to delete them and start over. I ask if this will happen again and she tells me probabbly.

This gets me going. I pay over $900 for a machine and $100 a month for service that is so unreliable that I can't view a show becuase the box randomly locks up and now with A8 code I also lose any recodings I have. What is the point of having a PVR that has a random format feature to it?

I ask her to get a manager on the phone, as I wanted PPV credits that I recorded and am now unable to watch and she told me there is nothing *C is willing to do about 530 problems, including lost PPV recordings.

Well, there are no managers after normal business hours (eastern time - I am in BC). So I accept that and ask her to make a not on my file to have a manager call me when they are in on Tuesday.
WEll, Julie tells me that MANAGERS DO NOT CALL CUSTOMERS.

I could call back during normal business hours and see if someone would be willing to take my call, but usually managers will not deal with a customer that is what the crs are for (according to julie).

so now I am fuming. *C is refusing to even deal with customers that they have basically swindled.

I asked about getting a refund for the machine and was promplty told by Julie, that management has said that there will be no refunds for any 530 problems and that all I could do was cancel my account BUT to remember that I would have a serivce charge for the cancelation and that I would be left with a piece of buggy hardware I would have to sell privately now.

That takes the cake for customer service. as far as I am concerned *C has now resorted to extorsion to keep customers.

I would love to find out who really is in charge around *C to give them a phone call or email to get a real explanation. I did some searching but finding CEOs or VPs ect. seems hard with that company. One of the few company;s that hides - even though they pride them selves on their customer service....

#94 ·
Re: Cory

As terrible as it sounds, at least she was honest. The TSR's can only do what management will let them when it comes to the 530. Any other issue and you'd probably have gotten a more than satisfactory response!

Had you asked for a supervisor, instead of a manager, you'd probably been able to speak with someone. Plus, after speaking with a supervisor, its way easier to get the door opened to speak with a manager. Star Choice is in Calgary so business hours shouldn't be too far off yours.

I have to say I'm surprised they wouldn't give you Pay Per View coupons, as those are usually the first things that are offered.

I would just use the e-mail address provided by dsk to contact Jim Cummins - he's (I think) the top guy at Star Choice. See how far you get there.

#96 ·
satellite said:
As terrible as it sounds, at least she was honest. The TSR's can only do what management will let them when it comes to the 530. Any other issue and you'd probably have gotten a more than satisfactory response!

Had you asked for a supervisor, instead of a manager, you'd probably been able to speak with someone. Plus, after speaking with a supervisor, its way easier to get the door opened to speak with a manager. Star Choice is in Calgary so business hours shouldn't be too far off yours.

I have to say I'm surprised they wouldn't give you Pay Per View coupons, as those are usually the first things that are offered.

I would just use the e-mail address provided by dsk to contact Jim Cummins - he's (I think) the top guy at Star Choice. See how far you get there.
Well, I asked for her supervisors name (christian) but supervisors are only on staff until 4pm easter standard time (according to julie).

OH, and for the other 530 users out there.

I have been told twice now that the department that deals with the 530 (I guess there is a specific set of csrs) works 8am to 4pm Easter Standard and I should call between those hours if I have a 530. (so much for 7x24 technical support).

Things to check into with Jim :)

#97 ·
That is untrue, tech is available 7x24 they handle all technical issues. And to be blunt like other posters stated, you are wasting your time as Jim wont reply to that email. Just call back and ask to speak with a supervisor who are there the whole time the call centre is open, do you think they would have a place of employees and no one for them to report to? Cant see that happening.

The problems are all software related, and that rep is correct, they wont do anything for you as far as compensation goes, so a search here you will see other experiences. Motorolla has to fix the software, there is no magic fix for your issues.

#98 ·
sparky_06 said:
That is untrue, tech is available 7x24 they handle all technical issues. And to be blunt like other posters stated, you are wasting your time as Jim wont reply to that email. Just call back and ask to speak with a supervisor who are there the whole time the call centre is open, do you think they would have a place of employees and no one for them to report to? Cant see that happening.

The problems are all software related, and that rep is correct, they wont do anything for you as far as compensation goes, so a search here you will see other experiences. Motorolla has to fix the software, there is no magic fix for your issues.
I agree that there is always someone in charge. The issue is the CSR's are now refusing to transfer calls to whom ever happens to be in charge becuase they all know there is nothing anyone can do and it looks like they are getting as tired taking the calls as we are reporting them.

My biggest issue with this whole thing is not just that we have buggy machines, but if you are like me and the 530 is your only reciever, you can't even enjoy a decent nights tv anymore.

If I had a couple more recievers I could at least watch tv even if the 530 was on the fritz. But with out a second reciever when the 530 flakes out we have nothing to do but hope one day it will work.

I have a real issue with *C charging me almost $100 a month for a service that I can not use beacuse of their equipment.

They should be doing something about this. Offering free service until the 530 bugs are worked out. Or lending everyone a second hd reciever until the 530 is stablized, etc.

Something is better that constantly taking money knowing that the customers are not getting what they paid for.

Think about it. If you walked into your favorite theater to watch a movie and the projector froze half way through the movie. Would you expect your money back or a simple "I'm sorry but is just the way it is" type of attitude beacuse they already have your cash.....

#99 ·
I haven't heard of anyone having a problem that made the 530 unwatchable that a quick power reset or pulling the plug didn't fix. BEV 9200 has some glitches and I know the Rogers 8300 suffers from glitches/freezes as well. So no one has the perfect machine.

#100 ·
cory said:
Thanks!

This is the type of info that makes this forum invauable.

Next note is to jim to ask what is really going on.

Glad to help you Cory. Remember to use spell checker as it makes your letter more professional.

As far as glitches goes, I had the Scientific Atlanta 8000 for 3 years and had no lockups or any problems with it. My only problem was not with the machine itself, it was the picture quality issued by Videotron.

#101 ·
jaha said:
Long time lurker, first time post:

Had to add my $.02 about Star Choice's customer service. Overall, I rank it as top drawer, especially in the telecom industry. I have been a Star Choice customer for 5 years. Most recently, I approached them in Feb. to ask what they would do to keep me as a customer, in light of other promotions. Their response:
- free 530
- free install
- free dish upgrade
- 2 year contract
Everything but the 530 I can believe. However, I have never ever heard of anyone getting a 530 as an incentive to stay with Star Choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.