Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Star Choice Customer Service - Good & Bad - Post Comments Here

184K views 632 replies 225 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
This thread is for folks to post good stories and bad about Star Choice Customer Service.

If your posting a bad story, then at least try to post what knowledge is lacking and how the company might improve service rather than calling CSR's useless or idiots.

Remember CSR's are human too and sometimes they don't have all the answers

#27 ·
rob1 said:
I only activated the 405 for now.... One thing I noticed was a change to the IPG Sunday morning...it had the smaller guide with picture option which it didn't have upon the orginal install Saturday - It must have been software updated overnight.
Unless its a REALLY REALLY old one, more than likely you just pressed "Guide" twice which brings up the mini-Guide (two lines at the bottom of the screen so you can still watch TV above it)

#28 ·
Satellite,

Nope I tested the "press twice" once it was installed Saturday. Didn't work...it ONLY gave me the full guide. I didn't think much of it at the time since I knew it was an older unit.

But come Sunday morning....it had a differnet look - even the full screen guide had a hint of the picture behind it.

When did *C enable this "mini" guide feature?

Cheers
Rob.

G
#29 ·
1 ana 2 ana 3 ...UNBELIEVABLE!
I call SC tonight to complain about some video dropouts on NBC HD for the past 2 shows and my call was answered on the first ring after navigating the tree. The rep went away for a moment and confirmed they were aware of the problems and thanked me for calling and asked if there was anything else he could do, ALL DURING A COMMERCIAL BREAK, Never missed a minute of my shows.

#30 ·
rob1 said:
But come Sunday morning....it had a differnet look - even the full screen guide had a hint of the picture behind it.

When did *C enable this "mini" guide feature?
I'll check today, but I believe the "picture behind guide" feature was added in 2000 or 2001!
Anyway, the Mini-Guide should look like this
. And Yes, from what Star Choice's website says, its apperently a "new" feature. I'll get the date it was added tonight when I call.

This is what Guide (and Info, pictured) looked like before the picture-behind-guide was added...just so we're on the same page.

#31 ·
*C Dialog Zone Sucks

I've been reading the forum for a while now, decided to register and put my two cents worth in. *C's customer service, when it comes to channel requests really sucks. I contacted them last year asking them to add the Drive In Classics channel, as it has been available on expresspuke and Rogers cable.
Of course, I received a canned response....your input is important to us, but we don't have enough satellite space to add this channel. Hmmm... 4 weeks later they loaded up the system every sunday with NFL. So much for the no satellite space theory. I contacted them again through the dialog zone not long ago, explained that they now don't run sunday NFL, and this alone should free up enough bandwidth to put Drive In Classics on. I also pointed out that they are using Telesat's brand new satellite which they leased substantial space on, and one purpose of that was so they could add more channels. So why the delay?? Add the Drive In Classics channel, and while you are at it, add the MuchMore Retro channel...both expresspuke and Rogers offer these. Their response...the usual canned reply...your input is important to us, we'll pass this along to our programming department (a.k.a. the garbage can)...they also said they have limited satellite space. Well maybe if they took have a dozen of the repetative CBC channels off of there they would have space. I know it has been mentioned here that *C has a "problem" with CHUM who operates these channels. However, *C offers other CHUM channels, I don't understand why the problem with these. If it is indeed a relationship problem between the two companies, *C should quit pouting and get the issue resolved for the sake of their customers..they are the ones who suffer. Their customer support is terrible when it comes to the "dialog zone" on their website.
End of rant. Have a great day :)

#32 ·
When I was speaking to one of their techs about adding more channels they explained that when they put on the NFL network they actually took down a bunch of ppv channels. So on Sunday morning they swapped the NFL network for some of the ppv channels just for that day then once the nfl ticket was done for that day they would put back on the PPV channels, I think it does have more to do with space on the satelite, but... they could really free up some space but getting rid of some channles that they have doubled up on, see they have 2 tbs stations one for the west and one for the east, they are both in the same time zone, do they really need these two channels? Same with Showcase action, diva,scream, if they just had one channel for east and west that could free up some space.

#34 ·
Channel 616 - Drive-In Classics

NO-CRTC said:
*C's customer service, when it comes to channel requests really sucks. I contacted them last year asking them to add the Drive In Classics channel, as it has been available on expresspuke and Rogers cable.
Why don't you try a different tactic and contact CHUM to tell them that that you subscribe to SC and want Drive In Classics?

Maybe CHUM would then realize the demand and put more pressure on SC to carry the channel.

Incidentally, if you don't know, the 'no space' argument is hogwash. Drive In Classics is already mapped on Channel 616 on the SC satellite. Yes, that's right, the channel is sitting there on the satellite but not turned on for SC customers. Use that ammunition next time you write or speak to SC.

#37 ·
J_gotti said:
they could really free up some space but getting rid of some channles that they have doubled up on, see they have 2 tbs stations one for the west and one for the east, they are both in the same time zone, do they really need these two channels? Same with Showcase action, diva,scream, if they just had one channel for east and west that could free up some space.
No space would be freed up - these channels only appear once each - they are just mapped to more than channel #

#38 ·
starchoice said:
Oh, by the way, Sex TV: The Channel is also sitting on AnikF1, Channel 569. Both Drive-In and Sex are on Transponder 17.

Check the link for proof:

http://www.cancombroadcast.com/affiliates/services/signal_e.asp

Click on "Transport Signal List".

NO-CRTC, what are your comments now?
I worked for Starchoice in a department at the Call Centre when it was located in New Brunswick about 5 years ago, mainly server and desktop support. The people in charge of uplinks were in Toronto.
When I was working for them, CANCOM bought Starchoice, and then months later Shaw bought (to my knowledge) both CANCOM and Starchoice, and later shut down the call centre here and moved to their cave in Calgary.
What do I think??? I think they don't really care what the customer wants, it's the bottom dollar that counts, that's the impression I had with my observations of various departments there at the time. Nothing seems to have changed since my departure in 2003, if anything, it's gotten worse :p

#39 ·
NO-CRTC said:
Nothing seems to have changed since my departure in 2003, if anything, it's gotten worse :p
You have no idea. You're obviously bitter, and aren't bringing anything constructive to this thread. Back then, hold times were routinely 20 minutes to over an hour. Today, avarage for Customer Service is 30 seconds.
Not only has the actual front-line customer service gotten better, but so has the policies. Would the Star Choice you worked for eliminate charges? Move Program used to be $50 for non-simple Satellite, now its free for everybody after 12 months of service. Dish upgrades used to be $99, the cost was recently cut after PPV channels were moved. Previously, if you disconnected before the 12 months, you had to pay the early DSO fee. Now, you can return your recievers and not have to pay anything. All these things point to Star Choice getting better, not worse.
I'm sorry you lost your job. Move out to Calgary (don't worry, the office isn't a cave) and I'm sure you could get rehired. Badmouthing Star Choice about something that arguably isn't even customer service-related doesn't get anyone anywhere. (Besides, all rumors point to the issue being with CHUM, not Star Choice...)

#40 ·
satellite said:
You have no idea. You're obviously bitter, and aren't bringing anything constructive to this thread. Back then, hold times were routinely 20 minutes to over an hour. Today, avarage for Customer Service is 30 seconds.
Not only has the actual front-line customer service gotten better, but so has the policies. Would the Star Choice you worked for eliminate charges? Move Program used to be $50 for non-simple Satellite, now its free for everybody after 12 months of service. Dish upgrades used to be $99, the cost was recently cut after PPV channels were moved. Previously, if you disconnected before the 12 months, you had to pay the early DSO fee. Now, you can return your recievers and not have to pay anything. All these things point to Star Choice getting better, not worse.
I'm sorry you lost your job. Move out to Calgary (don't worry, the office isn't a cave) and I'm sure you could get rehired. Badmouthing Star Choice about something that arguably isn't even customer service-related doesn't get anyone anywhere. (Besides, all rumors point to the issue being with CHUM, not Star Choice...)
Actually, I moved on from there before the call centre shut down, so I'm not bitter about that. Yes, I agree, response time on the phone has improved dramatically. When I worked there, there were no disconnection fees, no extra receiver fee, and you could suspend your account if you were going on vacation at no charge. So they have made some adjustments, some good, some bad in my opinion. I did contact CHUM regarding this issue, and they said it was up to *C to carry it if they wanted to, and basically told me that I should contact *C. However, I do wish they would improve their "dialog zone" on their website as stated. At least keep people informed as to what channels "might be coming", or heaven forbid, do a survey of their customers and ask them what they want, and show the results on their website. That would be a step forward. IMHO

G
#41 ·
Continually amazed!

I brought a SC receiver out of retirement to add it back to the fleet and they answered on the first ring, zapped the box and I was off and running.

Less than 2 minutes, start to finish and that even included a chat with the nice lady.

Boy, their new tag line should really be:

"Operators are standing by to take your call"

#42 ·
My *C days

Hello,
I read the Bell and *C forums (plus some others) when ever I'm home and Sometimes I just get a little frustrated with some of the attitude.
I was a happy *C sub for close to seven years, when the 500 had been around for about a year I finally opted in, I spent one and a half months in total hell! Hours on the phone, hours watching horrible HD and SD, images that would stutter as a camera panned across the screen, channals that would change on their on and no one that would offer help.
When I had finally had enough, I called about warranty help and was told that there is nothing wrong with the 500 and these issues would be fixed, well they weren't. I called and told them to pull the plug, I got switched to another person and she gladly said bye bye.
I was always nice to the folks I talked to, never yelled or theatened them and had almost 7 years of loyalty and they just said bye.
I'm now stuck with all of their hardware and out a whole bunch of money, thats how I was treated.
I have moved to BEV, and I have had a number of issues but so far they were all dealt with in a fairly timely fashion and I have only once been in line for over ten minutes,(to be fair, after switching I was spending hours on the phone but that was talking to someone). There were many times I was on the phone, in line before talking to a person, for over 30 mins with *C.
I get so sick and tired of reading Digitaldude attacking BEV on so many of his posts, he sounds smart enough to be a little more diplimatic.
Just had to get that off my chest.

G
#43 ·
mightymike said:
Hello,
I read the Bell and *C forums (plus some others) when ever I'm home and Sometimes I just get a little frustrated with some of the attitude.
I was a happy *C sub for close to seven years, when the 500 had been around for about a year I finally opted in, I spent one and a half months in total hell! Hours on the phone, hours watching horrible HD and SD, images that would stutter as a camera panned across the screen, channals that would change on their on and no one that would offer help.
When I had finally had enough, I called about warranty help and was told that there is nothing wrong with the 500 and these issues would be fixed, well they weren't. I called and told them to pull the plug, I got switched to another person and she gladly said bye bye.
I was always nice to the folks I talked to, never yelled or theatened them and had almost 7 years of loyalty and they just said bye.
I'm now stuck with all of their hardware and out a whole bunch of money, thats how I was treated.
I have moved to BEV, and I have had a number of issues but so far they were all dealt with in a fairly timely fashion and I have only once been in line for over ten minutes,(to be fair, after switching I was spending hours on the phone but that was talking to someone). There were many times I was on the phone, in line before talking to a person, for over 30 mins with *C.
I get so sick and tired of reading Digitaldude attacking BEV on so many of his posts, he sounds smart enough to be a little more diplimatic.
Just had to get that off my chest.
Your're absolutly right. I should have been a bit more diplomatic.
Maybe it was just the mood I was in after some BELL subs came trolling into the SC forums.
I don't have time to inflame the BELL subs in their own forum, So I do it here.
But mostly, my goal is to educate current and future SC subs on the new boxes.

W.R.T. your 500, Yes there are/were problems.
It was a difficult time for SC having to explain that the box was not broken and new software would fix many things.
It's really too bad you couldn't tolerate it any longer.
There is new software for the 500 arriving later this month that seems to make things a whole lot better.
But since it was not yet available for public release, what else could they really do for you.
Perhaps it was out of respect for your wishes that they said good-bye.

Maybe one day, you'll come back, if not, it was a pleasure having you here.

#44 ·
Not good

My mom called *choice regarding the "referral program" with my name and telephone number on Monday, April 27. She was informed that they would contact me within 72hrs. I waited for 4 days and still no call. I then called CS and explained the situation, they said they would forward this to the sales department. I then waited until Monday May 2, decided to try emailing them. I got a response back saying they would call me "today"! I am still waiting to hear from *choice CS or Sales department so that I can get this thing going, with whatever paper work they must submit. It is quite frustrating and wonder what the hech is going on.

What I am tempted to do is just go ahead with the receiver, call them for installation and then get my programming. As it seems they aren't that interested in my business I guess. :eek:

I heard so many good things about CS, although admittedly I got through on the phone pretty quickly anytime I have called.

Thanks for reading.

#46 ·
*C customer service sucks...

I have been a *C customer since 2000 and have never had any major problems…. Until now (otherwise I wouldn’t be here). Two yrs ago my b-friend and I decided to buy a place together – he has Express Vu – so we’d both been at the controls of each dish. We decided to go with *C, my b-friend bought the system and because he was a new customer the install was free, I signed my dish over to his name. I guess the first bad experience was when they guy came to install the dish…we told him we didn’t want it put on the roof but on the chimney of the house – as we were in the process of moving in we didn’t watch his every move as he installed the dish. You guessed it – he put it right on our roof. We called *C to let them know – they did nothing. Last summer we re-shingled the roof and moved the dish onto the chimney, no real issues. Although it took forever to get a signal, there was a lot of cursing and the real pisser was that if the guy had of just put the dish were we asked him to in the first place we wouldn’t be going through all this frustration anyway the dish has been working fine, until approx 2 weeks ago (April 24th). I tried to watch some TV and noticed that we were missing some channels; because we had a big storm moving in I blew it off until the next day. The same result, missing quite a few channels in the 300 zone, so I gave them a call. Of course they couldn’t send any out the next day, which would have been best because I happened to be off work that day it they required someone to be there for the service call. I was never informed they mine or any household members presents was not necessary. So Tuesday they were to send a guy, I left them my work number but told them that no one would be home until after 3:30pm. My mid-day Tues I still hadn’t received a phone call so I called to check messages at home, the guy had called and said he’d be there around 1pm. I called *C to let them know (Yet again) that there would be no one home. When my b-friend got home there was a card left and a message from *C saying the guy had been there, replaced the cracked eye and readjusted the dish. WOW that’s great we though, until we turned the dish on, our signal strength was at about 30! We called *C to let them know and going on principal (and the curing experience of less than a year ago) asked that they sent a tech to adjust the dish. They couldn’t send someone until the end of the week, this meant we’d been without service since Sunday – 6days! Plus, we had my b-friends boys coming for the weekend and the oldest is a TV freak! The weekend would be hell!! But thankfully a different guy came, was very pleasant and understanding – he had us up and running in no time. Life was good again! Our little ‘blip’ was over…. Or so we thought…now, don’t hate me, but I started watching American Idol. Now if that isn’t bad enough I’ve also gotten my b-friend addicted to it. So on the 10th of May we both get home and turn the dish on, to kill time I thought I’d watch something else and set the timer for Idol. The one channel I select states that ‘they are processing my request…I try and few of the channels above and below this one and find that we don’t get that one either. I called the *C number to see if there is a satellite down, nope! As I’m talking to a customer service person out channels are dropping like flies until we are not getting any! As of May13th we still have not gotten this issue resolved and guess what? It’s a kids weekend again. *C customer service sucks!

#49 ·
It wouldn't be the kids I would be worried about. What about the money you are spending for service that you are not getting?

It seems strange though. Common sense tells me that if this was a common occurance, StarChoice would have went out of business a long time ago. Perhaps you have something wrong with your tuner. You might need to get it replaced.

#50 ·
Re: Kas.
1) It sounds like an installer issue, not a Customer Service issue. They're doing their best to get someone out there, but you appear not to be home alot.
2) They tried to fix the situation by sending out someone new. That seems to be a step in the right direction.
3) Its not uncommon to have issues that take awhile to get resolved - it may appear to be the LNBF, then turn out to be the reciever, or the cabling, or allignment, or worst of all, a combination of all of those. It happens. It seems to me that steps HAVE been taken to get this resolved. Give it some time, I think Star Choice will end up comming through for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.