Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmware Version 09.15

45K views 103 replies 44 participants last post by  GaryE 
#1 ·
Starting on February 12 (for HDPVR 630 units) and February 18 (for HDDSR 600/605 units), Shaw Direct will be deploying software version 09.15. Once targeted (as seen on line I in OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will automatically update at around 2:10AM local time. It is not possible to force the update if you have not been targeted.

The overall look and feel is unchanged with this download, with the exception of updating branding.

This release provides increased VOD speeds, significant PPV enhancements, updated Closed Captions decoding and improved stability. Prior to 09.15, the last software download was 08.26 in late October 2012.

09.15 Release Highlights

Overall Stability Improvements
•General updates related to stability/reliability to reduce the chances of the receiver becoming "frozen"
•If an issue is encountered that the unit is unable to resolve, a reboot may occur automatically to restore normal operation.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Dual Streaming & Usability Updates

•Network and streaming drivers have been rewritten to enhance network throughput and VOD streaming performance.
•A substantial increase in average speeds has been experienced with our Field Trial and Employee Trial groups.
•If you previously had unexpectedly low Speed Test results, or issues streaming during local peak usage, an improvement should be seen with this release.
•Unsubscribed content on VOD should display "grey" consistently, rather than sometimes giving a W4 error.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Adult Content
•Support has been added for Adult content. Adult content is found in a separate VOD menu, which is hidden by default. A variety of Parental Control options are available to further limit access to this content.
•To enable access to the Adult VOD store, Parental Controls must be enabled. Then, press D to access the VOD menu bar, scroll to "VOD Settings", and enter your password. Change "Adult VOD" to "Enabled". Exit the menu, and press D again. You'll see a new button in the middle of the menu bar labelled "Adult".
•All Parental Control options (including Purchase Limit) will also apply to Adult content.
•As with Adult PPV Content:◦There is no free preview period on Adult VOD content
◦Coupons do not apply to Adult VOD titles
◦Adult VOD content features discrete billing.

PPV Order Enhancements
•PPV programs now feature an "Order ID" in the Guide. You can use this number to quickly place your order via the automated phone system (1-866-782-7778).
•Once your receiver gets the order, the "!" alert icon will appear. Pressing ENTER will display the Purchase History screen, which will list details of the title you ordered. The "$" sign will also appear in the Guide on the title you purchased.
•You must still setup an auto-tune, recording, or remember to tune in when the PPV starts.
•If you didn't receive confirmation of the purchase and the title doesn't appear in Purchase History, use the "receiver refresh" option via the automated phone system or Self Serve to send the purchase through again.
•In alignment with industry and studio standards, PPV movies recorded on the HDPVR 630 will be available for unlimited viewing for 48 hours, after which the title will automatically expire.

External HDD Updates
•Once paired, eSATA hotplug is now supported. However, unplugging your external HDD while it is connected is still not recommended. (Note that on initial pairing, you must still reboot the receiver to initiate the connection).
•Units with a large number of recordings stored on an external drive should see improved performance after bootup, in the PVR List, and with the playback of recent recordings.

This release also updates the Shaw Direct logo to reflect the new brand launched in late Fall

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks, islander_85. I checked my 630 and noted the update. As you said, everything looks normal. The only change was the fav list which went to default "all channels", which is the usual thing when refreshed.

I hope this new update fixes the blank recordings and missed recordings.:)

#7 ·
islander_85;1482899[/B said:
PPV Order Enhancements[/B]
•In alignment with industry and studio standards, PPV movies recorded on the HDPVR 630 will be available for unlimited viewing for 48 hours, after which the title will automatically expire.

Does this mean that a PPV can only be kept for 48 hours and if you don't watch it in that time, too bad, it's gone? After we've been able to keep PPVs indefinitely for years, shouldn't there be a bit more formal notice of the rules changing that significantly?

Or do I misunderstand what that sentence means?

#8 ·
If Shaw calls a "Significant" update, the fact that PPV now display an order ID and some ! and $ symbols...... WOW this is some good ol Shaw propanganda...

WHERE IS THE HD GUIDE UPDATE THEY PROMISED US LAST FALL?????????

Dam i'm tired of them...... If Fibe could show up in my neighbor......

#10 ·
The standard has been a 48 hour for years. Shaw just did not implement it correctly. No change there. Customers may have been able to keep recorded PPVs longer but Shaw Direct would bill them for watching again after the 48 hour window. The PVR reports back every time a PPV is viewed and the billing department takes care of processing the data. If you watched a years old movie and didn't get billed, count yourself lucky. Shaw Direct's agreement with the studios probably only allows a set viewing window so letting customers keep and watch movies beyond that would contravene Shaw's licensing contract. PPV is very much like like renting a DVD, not purchasing one.

#14 ·
Not true. I asked Shaw Direct this question awhile back as per this other thread, and they confirmed, they don't "charge again". You can watch as much as you want. It might be now with the new firmware that the recording won't work after 48 hours. I have 4-5 PPV movies on my PVR that I've watched well after 48 hours and had no issues.

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=157264

Keep in mind, not everyone has their PVR hooked to a phone line, but rather call in orders (hence the new ID update), so without being hooked to a phone line how would shaw direct know how many times you've watched a ppv or if it was after 48 hours?

#15 ·
What Shaw does and what they should do are two separate issues. The 630 PVR does report every viewing of a movie. With PVR initiated PPV, it does not report when the movie is recorded but when it is watched. I've seen it in the report back list. Shaw's PPV system is such a mess that they probably just ignore repeated viewings. They should bill again for movie viewings outside the 48 hour window and it's been that way for years.

#16 ·
Well, maybe they should based on rules mandated by the movie studios, but I can tell you it's never been a policy of Shaw to charge people more than once for a PPV movie regardless of how many times it's been viewed even after the initial 48 hour window. Like I mention in the other thread, Shaw confirmed in writing that they don't. I just now got confirmation from Shaw Direct twitter that they have NEVER charged people for multiple views off a PVR regardless of when it's recorded.

Quote from Twitter rep- "That's definitely not right. We've never charged for people watching PPV after 48 hours if it's saved on their PVR."

I guarantee you will not find one person who was charged more than once for a PPV movie, unless they ordered it again by accident or something. There is no way for Shaw to police this anyway, as lots of folks don't have their receiver hooked to a phone line.

And because of this, this is why you now see the new firmware making recordings expire after 48 hours.

I've watched PPV movies multiple times and it shows up once in the ppv order history, on the day I ordered it, and I'm hooked to a phone line.

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say on the subject as it's getting off topic to this thread, I just don't like when people mislead others with info that simply isn't true.

#20 ·
it's frozen and needs to be unplugged or sometimes needs to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Mine did this back in Dec and 10 reboots couldn't fix it, so I called SD and they said a replacement was necessary. About a month ago I tried again and left the PVR at 5:00 and it came back after about 3 mins. I'm hoping this update will fix this plus the freeze ups and reboots.

#21 ·
It's sometimes a good idea to reset to factory defaults and/or unplug the unit for several minutes after an update. This is because data in EEPROM or carried over between soft resets can become corrupt. Disks can also become corrupt. I had two phantom recordings appear after the update. It must have included some kind of disk check.

#22 ·
It's completely normal for it to display 7:00 or 7:01 before changing to the time received from the satellite data. If it doesn't change from 7:01 and remains locked up:

1. Unplug eSATA, satellite connections
2. Reboot
3. Enter Options, then 49886
4. Preserve DVR recordings and accept
5. When box reboots, connect up again and reboot again
6. Go into the Options, System Status
7. Go online and get a receiver refresh
8. Watch for Trip Count to increment and the map to be reloaded
9. Reset all your system settings to what they were.

#23 ·
I had a lock up last night. Watching a recording and the program stopped. I couldn't get the PVR to work, but changing channels worked fine. I rebooted and everything was OK.

Millstone: I will try your suggestions today and see if this helps. I don't mine an occasional lockup as long as a reboot will work. I noticed my last reboot came up with a blank screen before the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.