Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmware Version 09.15

45K views 103 replies 44 participants last post by  GaryE 
#1 ·
Starting on February 12 (for HDPVR 630 units) and February 18 (for HDDSR 600/605 units), Shaw Direct will be deploying software version 09.15. Once targeted (as seen on line I in OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will automatically update at around 2:10AM local time. It is not possible to force the update if you have not been targeted.

The overall look and feel is unchanged with this download, with the exception of updating branding.

This release provides increased VOD speeds, significant PPV enhancements, updated Closed Captions decoding and improved stability. Prior to 09.15, the last software download was 08.26 in late October 2012.

09.15 Release Highlights

Overall Stability Improvements
•General updates related to stability/reliability to reduce the chances of the receiver becoming "frozen"
•If an issue is encountered that the unit is unable to resolve, a reboot may occur automatically to restore normal operation.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Dual Streaming & Usability Updates

•Network and streaming drivers have been rewritten to enhance network throughput and VOD streaming performance.
•A substantial increase in average speeds has been experienced with our Field Trial and Employee Trial groups.
•If you previously had unexpectedly low Speed Test results, or issues streaming during local peak usage, an improvement should be seen with this release.
•Unsubscribed content on VOD should display "grey" consistently, rather than sometimes giving a W4 error.

Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) Adult Content
•Support has been added for Adult content. Adult content is found in a separate VOD menu, which is hidden by default. A variety of Parental Control options are available to further limit access to this content.
•To enable access to the Adult VOD store, Parental Controls must be enabled. Then, press D to access the VOD menu bar, scroll to "VOD Settings", and enter your password. Change "Adult VOD" to "Enabled". Exit the menu, and press D again. You'll see a new button in the middle of the menu bar labelled "Adult".
•All Parental Control options (including Purchase Limit) will also apply to Adult content.
•As with Adult PPV Content:◦There is no free preview period on Adult VOD content
◦Coupons do not apply to Adult VOD titles
◦Adult VOD content features discrete billing.

PPV Order Enhancements
•PPV programs now feature an "Order ID" in the Guide. You can use this number to quickly place your order via the automated phone system (1-866-782-7778).
•Once your receiver gets the order, the "!" alert icon will appear. Pressing ENTER will display the Purchase History screen, which will list details of the title you ordered. The "$" sign will also appear in the Guide on the title you purchased.
•You must still setup an auto-tune, recording, or remember to tune in when the PPV starts.
•If you didn't receive confirmation of the purchase and the title doesn't appear in Purchase History, use the "receiver refresh" option via the automated phone system or Self Serve to send the purchase through again.
•In alignment with industry and studio standards, PPV movies recorded on the HDPVR 630 will be available for unlimited viewing for 48 hours, after which the title will automatically expire.

External HDD Updates
•Once paired, eSATA hotplug is now supported. However, unplugging your external HDD while it is connected is still not recommended. (Note that on initial pairing, you must still reboot the receiver to initiate the connection).
•Units with a large number of recordings stored on an external drive should see improved performance after bootup, in the PVR List, and with the playback of recent recordings.

This release also updates the Shaw Direct logo to reflect the new brand launched in late Fall

See less See more
#59 ·
New Record Icon

Does anyone know what the new record icon that has a 1/8th slice of pie cut in to it is about? It is on "Upcoming" events, "PVR Options" and on the PVR list on current recordings. It just started tonight (Mar. 14th) never notice it before and I have had 9.15 for a few weeks so I don't know if it is apart of this update helping indicate when something bad is happening to my recordings? or is it just a new recording icon that has suddenly decided to appear. The guide still shows the traditional record icon.

anyone else seen this or know what it means something?

#67 ·
Random reboots...

so my 630 has "seemingly" been running fine since the 9.15 update, but today, just for some random reason (other then to just piss me off), its now randomly rebooting....

It's been doing it all day today (that my wife has noticed) and it seems to be getting more frequent as the day goes on (it just did it twice since I've typed this message..) Any body else seeing this yet??

#74 ·
they've kinda shot themselves in the foot with this - now that they a:) can daily administer change to the guide database, and b:) they actually ARE.... now, we shall all be watching for SD to start making the guide data on par with what I get with SageTV, Windows Media Center, etc

#78 ·
My random reboot issue

Thanks for the tips guys - definitely no snow or ice on the dish as the dish itself has been clear for a few weeks now (only had this issue once this winter and it stays clear through the rest of it).

I did try to pull power, but not for a full 5 minutes (more like 30 seconds or so...) After I typed that original message, the next day it was resetting almost constantly..... so I had pulled power again (for like a minute or so) and then it managed to come back and once it was back on, I got to thinkin maybe there was something funky with the specific channel it was on and I just picked another random channel and it seems to be fine now (knock on wood).

I've had a few issues with this box in the past, but most of it I related to the various firmware bugs we've pretty much all seen (or read about on here). I was almost ready to call SD and tell them to ship another one for this, but I'll see what happens now.

#80 ·
^^^After thinking about it more, it actually makes more sense to me that it was already included in a prior update (9.15, 8.XX) b/c if it wasn't that means every receiver was receiving an update around 2am on those mornings and then again the next morning to change the icons back to normal. Highly doubtful.

#81 ·
Shaw Direct Recording Shamrock Icon and others.

It didn't click that Shaw would change the Icons for recording on special holidays, so when the "Pi" showed up, I thought there was an issue with my father's receiver and rebooted it to ensure it would record the shows scheduled.
I also thought it was indicating there was a problem with the Hard Drive, then I thought about the date.
per GaryE ...It was probably in honour of "Pi Day" yesterday. Can probably look forward to a shamrock this weekend.
Well done Gary! For those of you that missed it.

It would be nice if Shaw would inform us, say by message or receiver "Mail". I wonder how many calls they got on this? Shaw are very much like Bell in keeping users in the dark.

d_source, I have noticed since this 9.15 update, that around 4 am central time, the 14 day guide, is reduced to one day then repopulates up to 14 days again. The Shamrock appeared for the next recording after St.Paddys Day, but disappeared when I went forward in the guide, then returned to current time.

Overall there have been less issues with 9.15 than previous firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.