Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct New Channels Discussion

225K views 613 replies 117 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
#111 ·
One Question?

What sat are these going to be on?

I'm not that schooled in this area but if they put them on the new sat how are subs going to reeceuive them? Don't they need to add another LNB to their dish? If so how many subs out their have 3 lNB Dish? As far as I kbnow the sats their using now are basically full other wise they could of launched these locals all ready?

#114 ·
Treat this as unofficial until Wednesday...

My contact at Shaw Broadcast has indicated that Slice HD, H2-HD and Lifetime HD will launch on May 29th on Shaw Direct along with the following specialty channels that are currently available on Shaw Cable

Global News BC1
W Movies
Comedy Network HD
Discovery HD
Bravo HD
Animal Planet HD
BNN HD
Sportsnet World HD
Movie Central 3 HD (West Only)
The Movie Network Encore HD (East Only)
MFun! HD (East Only)
MExcess HD (East Only)
MFest HD (East Only)
radX
eqHD
HIFI
YTV HD
Family HD
Disney XD HD

Don't have the channel numbers or the list of locals and french channels yet.

#116 ·
Bell does, Rogers Does, Source Cable Does, Videotron Does, heck even Shaw's cable division usually does. They have an official announcement on their forums regarding Slice, H2 and Lifetime.

As I said before I don't buy that it has anything to do with contracts. They were probably signed a long time ago. Also it isn't like Shaw Direct is going to surpass any of the BDUs. Most BDU's already offer what Shaw Direct is about to add and most will still be offering far more than what they will be offering.

#118 ·
As I said before I don't buy that it has anything to do with contracts. They were probably signed a long time ago. Also it isn't like Shaw Direct is going to surpass any of the BDUs. Most BDU's already offer what Shaw Direct is about to add and most will still be offering far more than what they will be offering.
Well, for one, *you* don't know what they are offering or will be offering other than what an internal source is saying ans speculating, so anything you say about this is nothing more than your own opinion and conjecture - however educated it might be - rather than anything based in sourced fact.

As for why they haven't said anything, it's for competitive reasons. Simple as that. They aren't the first and won't be the last to keep their mouth shut about something until it launches. The last thing Shaw would want is for a cable company (other than themselves) to blanket every house with a Shaw dish in a suburban area with fliers offering some sort of switch offer right before they launch all their new channels. That kind of stuff has happened more times in the past than I can count.

I suppose if you don't like it or are unable to understand their reasons and you somehow already know what they are going to offer despite complaining that you don't know, you are free to switch to another provider of your choice who communicates on a level you find more suitable. Getting all twisted up about it won't get you anywhere. They have their reasons, and how you feel about it is ultimately irrelevant to them. Just don't be surprised if the moment you switch to another provider you find that provider doing the exact same thing on some level or another.

#119 ·
I suppose if you don't like it or are unable to understand their reasons and you somehow already know what they are going to offer despite complaining that you don't know, you are free to switch to another provider of your choice who communicates on a level you find more suitable.
Already switched a long time ago and my current provider is far better at communicating these changes and as I mentioned above, the other providers are better at it too. I like many other people (subs or non-subs) follow the cable and satellite industry closely. I have a website that publishes current channel line-ups for most providers in Canada. I can't even get that from Shaw Direct either.

They have their reasons, and how you feel about it is ultimately irrelevant to them.
And this is why Shaw Direct bleeds customers every quarter.

Well, for one, *you* don't know what they are offering or will be offering other than what an internal source is saying ans speculating, so anything you say about this is nothing more than your own opinion and conjecture - however educated it might be - rather than anything based in sourced fact.
I didn't post anything as fact, it's not my opinion either. I'm simply passing along information and my post(s) clearly indicated that.

You and I are very far apart on this, so lets just agree to disagree.

#121 ·
You and I are very far apart on this, so lets just agree to disagree.
Fair enough, but you're still wrong. :)

You're not exactly performing any sort of public service to current subscribers by coming here making the claims that you are, though. We're all adults with our own experiences with various Canadian (and American) BDUs and we're grown ups who are big enough to figure things out for ourselves. You already voted with your wallet. What more do you want?

#122 ·
Bigoranget is interested in all Canadian television providers and what they offer, no matter which one he happens to have at the time. Over many years, he has provided interesting and valuable information. You might note that he has contributed nearly 3000 posts. I, for one, always read his comments and appreciate that he frequents this forum.

#126 ·
According to Zap2It some of the new channels launching tomorrow on Shaw Direct include:

Teletoon HD
ABC Spark HD
Disney Junior HD
MuchMusic HD
W Network HD
NBA TV HD
Turner Classic Movies HD

Among others that are already available on Shaw Cable (Comedy HD, HIFI, eqhd, etc.).

#127 ·
New HD Specialties

Global News BC 1
TFO HD
APTN HD (East)
Family HD
Disney XD HD (East)
Disney Jr HD
YTV HD
Teletoon HD (East)
ABC Spark HD
Slice HD
H2 HD
Lifetime HD
Bravo HD
Comedy HD (East)
MuchMusic HD
Discovery HD
W Network HD
NBA TV Canada HD
Sportsnet World HD
HIFI
radX
eqHD
TCM HD
TMN Encore HD
MExcess HD
HD PPV now up to 23 channels instead of 5

This is better than what I expected and from what I've been hearing. I'm very happy to see that Shaw Direct delivered on a promise even if I'm no longer a customer

#129 ·
New French Locals

CHOT-DT (TVA - Gatineau)
CFGS-DT (V - Gatineau)
CFEM-DT (TVA - Quebec)
CIMT-DT (TVA - Rivière-du-Loup)
CHAU-DT (TVA - Carleton)
CIVM-DT (Tele-Quebec - Montreal)
CBAFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Moncton)
CBOFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Ottawa)
CBWFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Winnipeg)
CBXFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Edmonton)
CBUFT-DT (Radio-Canada - Vancouver)

#130 ·
New English Locals (HD)

CHAN-DT (Global - Vancouver)
CBUT-DT (CBC - Vancouver)
CIVT-DT (CTV - Vancouver)
CKVU-DT (City - Vancouver)
CHEK-DT (Ind - Victoria)
CFJC-DT (City - Kamloops)
CKPG-DT (City - Prince George)
CITV-DT (Global - Edmonton)
CBXT-DT (CBC - Edmonton)
CFRN-DT (CTV - Edmonton)
CKEM-DT (City - Edmonton)
CICT-DT (Global - Calgary)
CFCN-DT (CTV - Calgary)
CKAL-DT (City - Calgary)
CKSA-DT (CBC - Lloydminster)
CITL-DT (CTV - Lloydminster)
CFRE-DT (Global - Regina)
CBKT-DT (CBC - Regina)
CKCK-DT (CTV - Regina)
CKND-DT (Global - Winnipeg)
CKY-DT (CTV - Winnipeg)
CBWT-DT (CBC - Winnipeg)
CHMI-DT (City - Portage la Prairie)
CHCH-DT (Ind. - Hamilton)
CKPR-DT (CBC - Thunder Bay)
CHFD-DT (Global - Thunder Bay)
CICA-DT (TVO - Toronto)
CKMI-DT (Global - Montreal)
CBMT-DT (CBC - Montreal)
CFCF-DT (CTV - Montreal)
CJNT-DT (City - Montreal)
CIHF-DT (Global - Halifax)
CJCH-DT (CTV - Halifax)
CBNT-DT (CBC - St. John's)
CJON-DT (NTV - St. John's)

I noticed that there is no carriage of CTV Two and I'm also surprised CBOT-DT (CBC - Ottawa) isn't carried.

#136 ·
I noticed that there is no carriage of CTV Two and I'm also surprised CBOT-DT (CBC - Ottawa) isn't carried.
So am I, albeit there is already an EST/EDT CTV HD affiliate through CFTO. You'd only need CBOT for HD news.

The rest of the list looks decent, though. I have to wonder if Shaw is going to launch an HD version of Action sooner rather than later now that they have the capacity to distribute for SBS customers. Going to be interesting to see the channel numbers and what happens tomorrow when all of this turns on.

#131 ·
New English Locals (SD Only)

CBET (CBC - Windsor)
CHWI (CTV Two - Weatley)
CISA (Global - Lethbridge)
CFCN-5 (CTV - Lethbridge)
CHAT (City - Medicine Hat)
CIPA (CTV - Prince Albert)
CICC (CTV - Yorkton)
CHBX (CTV - Sault Ste. Marie)
CITO (CTV - Timmins)
CHEX-2 (CBC - Oshawa)
CKNY (CTV - North Bay)
CBAT (CBC - Fredericton)
CKLT (CTV - Saint John)
CKCW (CTV - Moncton)
CJCB (CTV - Sydney)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.