Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct New Channels Discussion

225K views 613 replies 117 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
#83 ·
I also got this email about Peachtree moving and 200 channels being added:

Peachtree is moving.

On April 15, our third satellite was officially launched into space. Later this spring, over 200 HD channels will be available.

Due to additional channel offerings, our current Classic channel lineup has been updated. As of May 7, Peachtree will move to channel 655 from channel 650.

For more information, please call 1-888-554-7827

#86 ·
or better yet discontinue the so called advanced lineup and just have the classic lineup. My reason for arguing this is that we are the people who have been with Shaw and Star Choice for well over a decade; the "advanced" channel lineup people have only been with the company for 2 or 3 years. The reason for introducing the second number lineup was asinine...."they didn't want to confuse former cable customer with very high numbers"...or something like that... LOL

#87 ·
Only Shaw would create a dog's breakfast like the 2 different channel lineup's. My grandparents are just getting used of the Classic line up after 10 years. If Shaw decides to now standardize the lineup it will create chaos for many viewers.

NovaMan: Rest assured that Shaw will make the decision which creates the greatest amount of inconvenience to its customers. LOL

#90 ·
I don't understand all the fuss over the "Classic" versus "Advanced" line-ups.

On my 630, I have groups of Favourites (for example: Networks, HDTV, Variety, etc.) and look through these much more manageable lists rather than memorize channel numbers. Generally speaking, 90% of everything I watch is on an HDTV channel anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, ditch the standard-def channels and free up some much needed bandwidth.

My $ 0.02.

#93 ·
A standard def TV can still use a 600-series receiver and display HD channels, it just ends up being displayed at the TV's lower resolution. Shaw could save a lot of transponder bandwidth by eliminating the SD channels and replacing them with just HD, but they'd need to ensure everyone who has an older receiver gets a new one. That would be expensive and time consuming.

#105 ·
I wouldn't count on the Shaw Media channels launching on May 29th. If you look back in this thread, there is a tentative list of HD channels that are being added and it doesn't include any additional Shaw Media channels.

Also just so everyone is aware, I believe May 29th, Shaw is just adding the LPIF channels and possibly some HD locals to come into compliance with a CRTC ruling regarding carriage of the LPIF signals. They have to be available by June 30th. The specialty channels probably wont start becoming available until well into June.

#108 ·
So it appears Shaw Direct really is going to wait until the 29th to release the information. This has to be the most ridiculous company in Canada. Any other provider would have provided at least a weeks notice. I don't buy that contracts are still in negotiations, they were probably signed long ago.

I think the real reason is because all Shaw Direct customers are going to get is what Shaw Cable already has (specialty channel wise) and some HD locals and probably a bunch of PPV channels. They probably don't want to deal with customers complaints until they have to.

#115 ·
Any other provider would have provided at least a weeks notice. I don't buy that contracts are still in negotiations, they were probably signed long ago.
Pfft, no they wouldn't. No BDU anywhere in Canada will tell anyone exactly what is coming prior to launch. Contractual reasons aside which are a very valid reason, there is the more pressing issue of competitive disclosure and they won't say a word about anything because it will allow other providers to react before the channels have launched.

At least Shaw is saying *something* is coming. When Cogeco launched a bunch of new HD channels last summer they didn't even mention it on their website after they launched, they just suddenly showed up in the EPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.