Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct New Channels Discussion

225K views 613 replies 117 participants last post by  magnet 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Shaw Direct had a lousy HDTV service and lousy HD equipment in 2003 as well. The situation hasn't changed much since then. I cancelled them in 2003 due to their horrendous technical problems with HD, lack of channels and poor value for the money. I just cancelled again for basically the same reasons. I'm getting more SDTV channels and a lot more HDTV channels with Rogers for about $10 more per month.

For what it's worth, I was told that Shaw Direct is planning on revamping its lineups in April. A lot of that, of course, depends on successful deployment of the new satellite. We'll see how that goes. Shaw has a long record of being slow to deploy new channels, especially HD and specialty services based in eastern Canada, like TMN.

#10 ·
The thing I have said time and time again, even when Anik G1 launches, don't expect that the service will suddenly match what Rogers, Cogeco, Bell or Eastlink have. One only has to look at Shaw Cable to see that even their systems are way behind the other providers.

Shaw Direct will likely add all the HD specialty channels that are currently carried on Shaw Cable but not on Shaw Direct, some HD locals from the big cities and the remaining LPIF eligible local channels in SD.

Shaw will probably add 20-30 PPV HD movie and sports channels to artificially increase their channel count.

#15 ·
That's basically the story. Shaw purchased Start Choice and it immediately began to go downhill. Customer service was cut and moved to Alberta. Prices went up and channel additions slowed down. When I first subscribed to Star Choice in 2001, they had the best lineup and were the cheapest TV option. A mere two years later, under Shaw's ownership, they were the most expensive DBS service with a substandard lineup compared to ExpressVu (Bell.) Right now, Shaw Direct is a little cheaper but their channel selection can only be described as pitiful when compared to Bell or Rogers. The new satellite will allow more channels but it's going to be too little, too late. Expect a round of price increases to follow the addition of new channels.

#16 ·
Wonder if they are going to add the new B.C. Global1 24hr news channel. I realize unless you are a transplanted B.C. person that anyone in the rest of Canada could care less about this. In defence of that statement we have Citypulse 24.in the west,I sympathize with you Toronto drivers your traffic is busy but doesn't affect me at all.

#22 ·
You seem surprised!

This is not a new channel. They have been around for a year or two. It's a group of 4 HD channels that require a lot of bandwidth which SD doesn't have at the moment. SD could add them this summer when the new satellite is up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.