Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions.

131K views 208 replies 58 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
SD HD 600 receiver - 32" Samsung lcd 450 tv

Its a new receiver & new tv so I'm in the process of getting everything setup & so far, so good.....the 600 remote "talks" to the tv; both the mute & volume, up & down, work fine....

My question is:

When I want to turn everything off, I use the power button on the 600 remote to power off both the receiver & the tv....the receiver turns off & the tv "turns off", but only to a "sleep" mode, rather than turning right off....tech support at SD told me that it was supposed to work that way, so the tv is always ready to be turned on.....

Does that sound right?.....other than using the tv remote to turn it right off, is there a setting that I haven't found yet that will let me use the 600 remote to turn the tv right off?.....

Many Thanks,
Toodee2

#82 ·
@Danny001 I moved your post to this thread.

Your RCA TV is really a Curtis TV - see: Item # RLDED5078A | Curtco International. The RCA brand in Canada is part of Curtis.

If there are Curtis codes, you can try those. It could be any cheap TV rebranded as RCA, so the code scan is worth a shot.

There are thousands of TV models so not all TVs are supported, especially cheap brands like Curtis or TVs with new codes that are newer than the remote.

#92 ·
Arris urc600 remote w Samsung sound bar?

Have Shaw Direct. Trying to pair up the Arris remote with a Samsung sound bar HW-J430.
Tried many codes - none work. Tried searching for a code - pressed channel+ till my fingers got sore. Couldn't get the sound bar to shut off using the Arris remote.

Has anyone been able to successfully control their Samsung sound bar with their Arris remote?
Or is this not possible? The sound bar is new-ish (bought 2 yrs ago).

#94 ·
Remote Control

My daughter's Shawdirect 600 remote control is working erratically. Some buttons do not work, while others do. I am guessing it is dirty or she spilled some liquid like pop on it.

Has anyone taken one of these apart to clean it? I noticed that there are 2 screws under the batteries. I appreciate all feedback.

#97 ·
Good point. Don't use a screwdriver, use a flat-edged tool like a veggie scraper or a putty knife, or a thin-edged kitchen knife. That puts opening pressure almost the whole length of the remote and prevents ugly gouging. I learned that trick after the fact... Then use denatured alcohol or other cleaning agent that won't destroy the rubber and graphite, like acetone. Our remotes get worn out due to silicone oil being released by the components.

This trick works on key fobs for remote access to your vehicle, as well as placing tiny strips of tin foil between the button and the motherboard to increase contact.

#102 ·
If you wish to have a remote that can also handle other devices, have a look at a Harmony remote. They are extremely easy to programme and do many things with one button press once properly programmed. The Harmony 650 is a good choice and is often on sale for $50 or so.

These remotes are "activity based" so they will turn on the STB, the TV, an AVR if you have one and tune each to the appropriate input, etc, simply by pressing one button like "watch TV".

#103 ·
So my remote died this week for my 600. I took it apart cleaned it but hardly any buttons work so rather than try to buy a new one and wait for shipping I've been looking at cheaper alternatives. I bought this RCA onecrcr313bir from Canadian Tire. It worked for my tv but even though there is a specific code for shaw direct, none of the codes worked. So I guess I will be returning it. I have looked at this one OneforAll OARUSB04G from the Source and I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with this as a universal remote for the 600?

#104 ·
I know that the Bell boxes have several codes that can be programmed with their remotes - 1 to 16 or so. If the SD boxes have something similar, make sure you're on the "base" code (0 or 1?) so that the universal remotes will work.

If you have more equipment than the TV and the box, you may wish to consider a remote like the programmable Harmony 650 instead since it'll control all your equipment, but also turn it all on/off to the correct input, etc with one button press. It's usually on sale somewhere for $50. See post 102...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.