Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Remote Control Discussions.

131K views 208 replies 58 participants last post by  tvmaster 
#1 ·
SD HD 600 receiver - 32" Samsung lcd 450 tv

Its a new receiver & new tv so I'm in the process of getting everything setup & so far, so good.....the 600 remote "talks" to the tv; both the mute & volume, up & down, work fine....

My question is:

When I want to turn everything off, I use the power button on the 600 remote to power off both the receiver & the tv....the receiver turns off & the tv "turns off", but only to a "sleep" mode, rather than turning right off....tech support at SD told me that it was supposed to work that way, so the tv is always ready to be turned on.....

Does that sound right?.....other than using the tv remote to turn it right off, is there a setting that I haven't found yet that will let me use the 600 remote to turn the tv right off?.....

Many Thanks,
Toodee2

#57 ·
Figured it out.

I was unable to find a manual, but the following allowed me to program the tv onto this remote.

1. Press and hold the mute and enter/ok buttons until all the lights cycle flash
2. Press the channel down button over and over.
3. Once the tv turns off or changes input stop and press the mute button
4 if the tv turns back on or changes inputs/channels press ok. If not keep pressing down on the channel button.

Paul

#60 ·
Remote Programming instructions FAIL

Trying to program a Shaw Direct remote IR/RF660 to a new Sony TV. Instructions tell me to:

1- Turn on the TV

2- Press and hold ENTER/OK button, then the MUTE button. Hold both down together until the mode buttons illuminate in rotation. SAT-TV-AUX-SAT. Release both buttons as soon as the mode buttons illuminate

PROBLEM: the mode buttons NEVER illuminate in rotation. Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong. :confused:
This remote worked fine on an older LG CRT television that I just sold.

#63 ·
Assign remote to specific receiver ?

In my man cave I have 3 tv's on one wall. The 2 outside tv's have a 600 receiver each. I've got the receivers mounted behind the tv's and they aren't in a great spot for the remote to connect with so I always have to move around or get up to point at the receiver to change the channel. If I put the rf antennas on the back of them, is there a way I can assign individual remotes to each ?

#64 ·
Absolutely! Otherwise, your neighbor could change the channel and do other things.

I'll let someone else give specific instructions on how to do it, but essentially you would set the Remote ID from your receiver's Options menu, then program a remote to use the same (unique) ID. Best bet is to have one receiver on at a time when doing this.

(I haven't done this since the DVR530 about 9 years ago, hence forgetting exactly how)

#67 ·
You can change the codes on all StarChoice/Shaw Direct satellite receivers, and most remotes.

On the 6xx series, go to Settings (options button, or A button>gear icon)>Preferences>Hardware Settings>Remote Control Address.
To change the remote,consult its leaflet. The different remotes (IR vs UHF) 600 remote program differently.

The DSR600 is IR only. To do UHF remote, you need a 605 (discontinued) or 630 receiver. Otherwise you need a mirror, or locate the receiver where you can control it.

#76 ·
We got back to our winter place and had to reprogram ourselves. Insert new batteries, check that SAT button is operative, vacuum dust from around receivers. And for the IRC550 that we are using for our 630, Browse replaces the defunct Guide button, and function key A gets us the Menu. (We bought a bunch of old remotes off craigslist and usually one of the buttons is not working, often Guide, but at 2 for $5, they do the trick.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.