Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1

159K views 267 replies 80 participants last post by  SCBob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

See this post for full details:

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - no new applications - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

---------------

Something interesting that the V.P said about Global switch to digital (go at 3:05 if you're impatient) is that they are going to offer free satellite, receiver and installation to clients in remote area with the base channels for free. This might mean that they are planning on distributing via FTA (hopefully they will not encrypt those base stations) the available local channels.

So for those of you loosing completely the signal, there still hope...

See less See more
#111 ·
I was able to purchase a new DSR630 HD for my father for under $300, and swapped out the DSR600 HD he had received for the LTSS without any problems, just had to add the second RG6 line for the second tuner.

The CSR had originally said it was not possible as only one tuner is allowed, but after consulting with others came back to say that the two tuners are allowed as long as they are in one receiver. So you might get some hesitation.

#114 ·
Does using the argument that there is no longer "Access" to CTV2 as a result of the digital switchover (see what I did there! ;)) even fly to qualify for LTSS?
The requirement is for you to have lost an analog broadcast (even if it has been converted to digital). Since the CBC and SRC have shut down all of the analog transmitters they operate, this condition should be met almost everywhere people live in Canada. Only regions that the CBC and SRC never operated any transmitters would not meet this requirement.

#118 ·
j0dest3r, The Shaw website states
Please call one of our service representatives before November 30, 2012 at 1.888.782.7602 to see if you qualify.
The date has been extended to 2013. So call, I have yet to hear of anyone I know that has applied, be turned down. They will provide everything including receiver, dish, and installation if available. I even heard that someone who could not do the installation themselves in a remote self install area, was reimbursed $150 to pay to have the equipment installed.

#120 ·
Well they keep calling about TV off and on since I have Internet through them, trying to get me to bite with teaser rates etc. I keep telling them once they support CableCARD I will come back as a paying TV subscriber which we all know will never happen. I think I'm going to wait until spring. I don't really have a good place to mount a dish I may try to see if I can rig something up where my OTA antenna is attached to the chimney.

#121 ·
LTSS customers Digital Lite offer

re: LTSS customers Digital Lite offer

I was on LTSS and got an offer in the mail to upgrade to the Digital Lite package for $9.99 per month for the first 24 months.

That was in February. At that time the Digital Lite package was regularly $31.99 so the discount was $22.00 per month.

My second billing showed a 35% price increase so I phoned SD. First rep didn't seem to understand so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Supervisor understood the LTSS customer Digital Lite 24 month offer and immediately assured me that it would all be corrected on my next bill. She told me that the recent SD price increases did not apply to the LTSS 24 month special offer.

Just thought I'd pass this info on to other LTSS customers who upgraded to the $9.99 Digital Lite offer and might be surprised by a 35% increase in your bill. Phone them and get it corrected.

Also, when I first inquired in February about the Digital Lite offer I was told I could switch back to free LTSS at any time. I was told the same when I called back to sign up for the 24 month Digital Lite special offer - that I could switch back to free LTSS at any time.

I'm curious to know if any other LTSS customers opted for the $9.99 24 month Digital Lite offer and, if you did, what were you told by the rep.

#124 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are mutliple TVs possible on LTSS?

I am absolutely new to satellite TV so please forgive me if this sounds very basic.

History: Until a few months ago we got analog TV signals from an antenna. When TVO went dark I sent them an email, they told me about LTSS and we signed up. The Star Choice receiver is connected to the TV in the living room and we are very happy with it. We still have the antenna and have the sets in the bedrooms connected to it so that we can watch Chanel 21 (CTV) and Chanel 12 (CHEX) while getting ready for work in the morning. CHEX has finally announced that they will be going digital next month and it is probably only a matter of time before we loose 21 too.

Questions: Is it possible/legal to connect additional receivers to the LTSS dish for the bedroom TVs? If so, what is involved?

#125 ·
CHEX has finally announced that they will be going digital next month and it is probably only a matter of time before we loose 21 too.
Just because they are going digital need not mean you loose them. Most new TVs have ATSC (digital) tuners built in and if your TV is older and doesn't have one, you can buy an inexpensive (about $40) box to connect to your TV.

As for Chanel 21 (CTV), I doubt if it will go digital any time soon. I suspect it will stay is is for a couple more years anyway. When they do shut it down, I would say it is 50/50 as to if it will go digital or go dark completely (like TVO did in your area).

Questions: Is it possible/legal to connect additional receivers to the LTSS dish for the bedroom TVs? If so, what is involved?
AFAIK, the LTSS programme only allows you to have one receiver. However, you could share that receiver with multiple TVs.

#126 ·
I have a friend in Niagara that got the LTSS service from Shaw Direct. He gets the following channels from the Toronto region

Global Toronto
CHCH Hamilton
City Toronto
CTV Toronto
CBC Toronto
Omni1 Toronto
CTV2 Barrie

He also gets all of the Global stations from accross the country as well as the CLEAR channels; TVO, Knowledge, CTV2 Alberta, The Shopping Channel and BC Legislature.

I find it interesting that all the Global stations appear to be included now. Can anyone else on LTSS confirm if they get all the Global stations.

#128 ·
We get 3 versions of Global on LTSS, as well as CTV, a couple of CBCs, TVO, Accnet, Knowledge, CHCH CITY, CTV2 & Omni 1.

Roger:
The TV in the living room is the only one new enough to have a digital tuner. I considered getting digital boxes for the other ones but I tried one and none of the digital stations comes in reliably here, including one that is just a bit closer than CHEX is. The TVs in the bedrooms get used for less than an hour per day so it would not be worth the cost of replacing them.

I could feed the satellite box output to all of the sets but then we would have to leave it on all the time and I don't like that idea very much. Besides, everyone would have to watch the same thing.

#130 ·
I tried one and none of the digital stations comes in reliably here, including one that is just a bit closer than CHEX is.
Wrong thread for discussing this, but you might want to have us help you pull in the digital broadcasts by upgrading your antenna, or find better boxes that will pull in the local stations (which ever the problem is).

I could feed the satellite box output to all of the sets but then we would have to leave it on all the time and I don't like that idea very much.
You could use an RF remote extender to power the box on and off and change the channel.

The TVs in the bedrooms get used for less than an hour per day so it would not be worth the cost of replacing them.
Besides, everyone would have to watch the same thing.
True, but if the bedroom TVs only get used for less than an hour a day, having to watch the same thing shouldn't be that much of a limitation, especially if you can get OTA working to at least give you a few other choices to pick from.

#129 ·
FWIW, TVO is not clear. But it should be included in the LTSS package for all Ontario residents, if not nationally.

FWIW2, I know it is that person's business, but if I lived in Niagara Region I would be all over OTA broadcast instead of LTSS.

On leaving satellite boxes on, it makes marginal power draw difference. All that gets turned off is the indicators and RF modulator (if it is a model with such).
My personal boxes are left on. The living room box gets shut off with the master power feature of the remote, with the TV.

#131 ·
LTSS and Anik G1

How will the launch of the new Anik G1 satellite impact LTSS?

Obviously all satellites have a limited shelf life (even the new one), but is there an expected date for decommissioning the old satellite(s)?
Will LTSS disappear when the old satellite is phased out of use by Shaw Direct?
Or will Shaw provide any necessary equipment upgrades, and/or dish repositioning services?
Will new LTSS customers be put onto Anik G1 between commencement and current Nov 2013 LTSS scheme end date, or will they be given rapidly obsolescing set-ups?

I suspect Shaw have not made any public statements specific to LTSS, but thoughtful speculation from the canny folks on this forum would still be appreciated. Thanks.

#140 ·
I am in Ottawa and signed up for the LTSS program on August 14th. I received the form by e-mail the same day and just received the receiver by Purolator today. It is a DSR-505 which has been refurbished. It has "HD" on the front and comes with an HDMI cable, component and RCA cables. I was able to schedule my installation as early as Thursday this week (so basically two days after receipt of receiver) - however I'll be getting it done on Saturday. I inquired into the Digital Lite upgrade but this person has stated that it's not possible? I've contacted LTSS directly but have yet to get a response. So I don't know if that was a promotion or what the deal is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.