Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - See Links In Post 1

159K views 267 replies 80 participants last post by  SCBob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
EDIT

August 31st, 2014
The offer period for new LTSS households will end on August 31st, 2014. This is because the threshold of 31,500 households has been reached.

September 30th, 2014
Installations of LTSS subscriptions occurring up to August 31, 2014 must be completed no later than September 30, 2014. This is to ensure an orderly end to the program.

August 31st, 2019
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.

See this post for full details:

Free Satellite to Canadians Losing OTA (LTSS) - no new applications - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

---------------

Something interesting that the V.P said about Global switch to digital (go at 3:05 if you're impatient) is that they are going to offer free satellite, receiver and installation to clients in remote area with the base channels for free. This might mean that they are planning on distributing via FTA (hopefully they will not encrypt those base stations) the available local channels.

So for those of you loosing completely the signal, there still hope...

See less See more
#32 ·
Any TV will work.

All Shaw Direct boxes offer at least composite A/V out. Except the 605/630, they all have analog RF out. The 6xx receivers have HDMI, the 5xx receivers have DVI and S-video. Except the 600, all the 6xx and 5xx receivers have component. Some 3xx and 4xx receivers have S-video as well.

#33 ·
I have a relative that just signed up for the "free Shaw local satellite" service not far from Winnipeg. Fellow came and installed a basic Shaw direct/Motorola receiver, dish, and feedline, no charge, no papers to sign. Very basic receiver has RF and composite out, they have an older TV so only the coax is connected. Only 4 channels (plus Shaw advertizement channel). CTV, Global, CITI TV and CBC. The CBC channel seems to be occasional (random?). No local CIIT or KNRR (Winnipeg & Pembina ND). Picture quality is ok for an older analog TV etc... Better than nothing I suppose.

I think this is great for those who are not able to install a TV antenna or wouldn't be bothered... and great for Shaw... (Up-selling!). Good PR but this thread is the first place I have heard mention of it. Shaw seems to want to keep it quiet.

Just FYI..
-C.

#34 ·
Want Digital HD Over The Air in St. John's/Other & having problems/no reception?

Sharing...

Not many people out there without Rogers/Bell-Aliant/Other already I'm sure,
but those of you who are, here is a way to get HDTV broadcasts without
any cost to you. I've heard that in the east-end (St. John's), CBC reception is very difficult to get - I cannot get it myself, but NTV comes through
just fine. In the west-end (St. John's) it is the other way around.

Shaw Direct is offering a free program to get OTA broadcasts - read
on.

I called them about it today, they said I qualify and emailed me
a form to send back to them. They will then send out the FREE
equipment. Once received, call them again and they will come out and
install it for FREE. The whole works is FREE. No need to buy your
own HDTV antenna. The service is FREE too.

---
http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/english/digitaltransition/default.asp?WT.mc_id=DTV

http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/english/digitaltransition/default.asp?WT.mc_id=DTV

-excerpt below

My channels are going dark but I've never been a cable or satellite
customer before. What are my options?

If you haven't been a cable or satellite customer in the last 90 days
and live in or near one of the cities listed below, you may be
eligible for our Local Television Satellite Solution (LTSS) program*.
This program will allow you to continue receiving the same or similar
Canadian over-the-air channels you've always enjoyed courtesy of Shaw
Direct. Please call one of our service representatives before November
30, 2012 at 1.888.782.7602 to see if you qualify.

Barrie Foymount London Saguenay Truro
Burmis Fredericton Moncton Saint John Vancouver
Calgary Halifax Montreal Sarnia-Oil Springs Victoria
Charlottetown Hamilton Ottawa Saskatoon Winnipeg
Chatham Kitchener Quebec City Sherbrooke Windsor
Digby Lac-Etchemin Quebec St. John's
Edmonton Lethbridge Riviere-du-loup Thunder Bay
Forestburg Lloydminster Rouyn-Noranda Trois-Rivieres
---

#37 ·
Since Shaw is failing to deliver HD digital signals, they should be providing local HD signals to disadvantaged viewers. Global's digital transmitters are a joke in some areas. People just a few miles away from the towers cannot receive OTA signals. There also does not appear to be any movement to remedy the situation.

#38 ·
Very basic receiver has RF and composite out, they have an older TV so only the coax is connected. Only 4 channels (plus Shaw advertizement channel). CTV, Global, CITI TV and CBC. The CBC channel seems to be occasional (random?). No local CIIT or KNRR (Winnipeg & Pembina ND). Picture quality is ok for an older analog TV etc... Better than nothing I suppose.
I assume they are just offloading thier old receivers for that service.

I signed my Grandma up for the Digital Lite pack (hidden on their website for $27.41 a month) We found out it never included any Winnipeg locals so we called up and complained so they ended up putting her on the Digital Value Pack for $25.99 which includes Winnipeg locals plus a bunch of local across canada, Eastern canada & US networks in HD, TSN, Sportsnet and some other channels. I was impressed as after taxes is under $30 a month.

#40 ·
Just signed up for the LTSS program today and I'm expecting to receive my receiver in the mail sometime next week. The contract explicitly says that they will only support one active reciever on the account? Is there any way to setup a second receiver in the house, even if I purchase the second receiver on my own? or will I have to go back upstairs everytime I want to change the channel?

#41 ·
AFAIK, you will only be able to use the one receiver (unless you want to pay for the service). If you want to connect it to multiple TVs, you could invest in an RF universal remote control for the other TV. Alternately, connect it to a HTPC and put another frontend on the other TV.

What stations are they giving you and where are you located? It would be nice if everyone with this service posted their location and channel lineup (including originating city of the stations). I gather the lineup is province based as a colleague of mine who lives on the other side of the river in Gatineau Quebec was looking into it and was told he would get the Quebec lineup but those here in Ottawa would get the Ontario lineup.

#42 ·
I'll post an update as I go through the process. I'm in northern Ontario -Parry Sound District. The agent was very pleasant and filled out the majority of the form for me. The form asks what stations I'm losing (which is TVO and CBLT for now), but the form also states the available channels and it's the full line-up of broadcast services for central Ontario except CJMT (CBLT, CBOFT, CIII, CICI, CITY, TVO, CHCH, CKVR, CFMT). Sounds pretty good so far. As for the RF universal remote, any suggestions on that.... Is there a forum for those thingy's ;-)

#43 ·
A very nice collection of stations. The only other missing station is CITS.

It seems to be a collection of station from across Ontario (SRC Ottawa, CTV Sudburry, CTV2 Barrie and everything else from Toronto), which is consistent with what I have heard. I am surprised they aren't giving you CBC Windsor, but that may be because they often show Detroit hockey games, which may make people very unhappy. It also may bey that Shaw doesn't carry it.

#45 ·
I signed up for that program last fall for my cottage in Kazabazua Quebec (Gatineau Hills north of Ottawa).

I got the receiver, but I haven't set-up the installation appointment yet.

Even though we're in the Ottawa area, we will be getting the Montreal channels. And it's an SD receiver, I believe. I seem to recall that we're only going to be getting the channels from the Camp Fortune tower - not the ones from Herbert's Corners.

Now that Global will be moving to rf14, we'll be able to go get it OTA anyway.

Nonetheless, I appreciate what Shaw has done. And it could work in their favour someday if we wanted to choose the path of least resistance and subscribe to a sattelite service.

#46 ·
LTSS Experience

Hey guys, as promised. I'm just reporting back on my LTSS experience... I received my reciever mid-week, no problem getting it delivered to my home in the city. Called to schedule an installation on Wednesday and Saturday was available. I received a call on Friday night from the installer to confirm... Saturday morning install - long weekend - perfect!

Bottom line, couldn't be happier, SD picture, with 15 channels.. - good channels..Basically all of the stations licensed to broadcast in my area... I can't help but think about the unwillingness of broadcasters to invest in the distribution of their signals... The privileged few who hold licenses to "shout it out", should do exactly that... Use it or lose it!!!

A program like the LTSS should be manadatory for all distributors that continue to try and monopolize content in this country..

Happy to answer any question about my service!

#49 ·
Is this service only for a fixed time limit? Two of the people who I got to subscribe to this have had their service discontinued over the last couple of months. Local supplier/installer says the service has been discontinued and a sub required to continue to receive Shaw satellite services. Maybe they need to contact Shaw directly? I've just been too busy the last while to deal with it...

#50 ·
The contract/declaration makes no mention of termination clauses, so I have to assume it is ongoing.

The channels I have are, CITY, MCTV, CHCH, CIII, CKPR, CJFD, CJBN, CKVR, CBOFT, CBLT, CFMT, Knowledge Alberta, CTV2 Alberta, The Shopping Channel, Shaw Direct barker channel.

Roger, I'll send you the form with the terms if you want it. From what I'm hearing, everyone in Ontario seems to get the same list of channels...

#51 ·
What is Knowledge Alberta? I thought CTV2 was Alberta's educational station and Knowledge was BC's educational station. Interesting you get three Global stations and two CBC stations, but not OMNI2 (CJMT) nor TVO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.